Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member Issues

Heres a guy saying he loves PRS guitars and wonder why people ship them to PTC for a setup when they are so easy to setup yourself or by a local luthier/repairman.Real workhorse type of guitars.Then he says SEs sucks compared to american PRSs.Dont we all agree?Read his/hers post again and stop being so silly.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Heres a guy saying he loves PRS guitars and wonder why people ship them to PTC for a setup when they are so easy to setup yourself or by a local luthier/repairman.Real workhorse type of guitars.Then he says SEs sucks compared to american PRSs.Dont we all agree?Read his/hers post again and stop being so silly.
    No, we don't all agree.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Does he say SEs sucks or do they suck compared to american ones?
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

I for one am not really sure what the heck that guy is even saying. He likes his Studio and CE22, likes NF3 pickups, I don't really know how he feels about the SE line, and he somehow disapproves of using the PTC…..I think?? The only thing I infer is that he thinks that upgrading a SE at the PTC is a poor decision from a value standpoint, as though that's what everyone does.

What the guy says is that people took their guitars to Paul Reed Smith a long time ago instead of shipping it to Gibson or Fender.Much cheaper

Then you must agree all PRS guitars suck that aren't Private Stock right? Surly you acknowledge that Private Stock guitars are of the highest quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Then you must agree all PRS guitars suck that aren't Private Stock right? Surly you acknowledge that Private Stock guitars are of the highest quality?
    ?

I believe he said they suck compared to American ones. Not sure if he meant to include the S2 line, I guess not, since he said SE. Maybe he's saving that for another post?

I know people who think spending $2000 and up on a guitar "sucks". I own core and SE, and I don't know if there is actually $2000 difference between them for my needs. I'm just glad PRS is making great guitars for a wide variety of needs.

Do I feel people are saying you HAVE TO send PRS to PTC? No I just see a lot of suggestions for routine work and or adjustments. I agree they are the best choice for complex work or mods. I also said that an SE compared to an USA sucks. I just don't get the logic in buying an SE and then trying to copy or heavily mod it to be more like a USA. We have all bought and later decided to sell or trade and that SE is still an SE at the end of the day. I love PRS and I feel bad I let a "basher" who has since passed away from Vegas keep me from this line for years. I enjoy the posts on here and have learned some as well. I have been playing for 25 years and this is the best line of guitars hands down. As far as PS goes it's overrated in my eyes. As far as famous people having an SE guitar endorsed as a sig model remember they may want you to think they are playing that on stage but they are playing a usa guitar I would bet. Mark Tremonti I'm sure doesn't play an SE on stage. There is a guy we all know who has gone and said this company is the best then 2 years later it's this company and so on. He is a living legend but also a wh**e. I believe that the sig models here the players will stay cause of the product and the dedication. I am sorry if I upset people with my choice of words and hope I can be accepted to the group. Thanks

I have 4 PRS guitars. 3 of them are SEs and 1 is a US model and the US is played the least.

I have under a grand in my new Zach Myers SE with mods...does that make me stupid? I would take this over any guitar twice as expensive.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

Quote Originally Posted by Prs2studio View Post
    I also said that an SE compared to an USA sucks...SE is still an SE at the end of the day.
    I think maybe this attitude is what is offputting to people. You are not going to find many around here that agree with this, even remotely, and without explaining why you think they suck in comparison it just comes across as some sort of snobbery or the misguided opinion of someone who hasn't actually played the guitars.

The consensus here is that the SE line is every bit PRS, and simply seen as another option not a low cost impostor.

I am sorry if I upset people with my choice of words and hope I can be accepted to the group. Thanks
    I think the thing that hit a nerve here is that you seemed to be making assumptions about members' behavior that isn't accurate. I don't think very many go running to the PTC for anything minor, and belittling the SE line while calling PS models overrated is quite polarizing on your part. Maybe just tone down the rhetoric a bit…...

Here, Here. Can't we just all get along? ENJOY!!!

As far as famous people having an SE guitar endorsed as a sig model remember they may want you to think they are playing that on stage but they are playing a usa guitar I would bet.
    You would absolutely lose that bet.

As far as PS goes it's overrated in my eyes.
    Maybe you should confine your comments to something you actually have experience with and know something about.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Prs2studio, welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry things have gotten off on the wrong foot for you. I hope you can find a place here!

I agree that new guitars shouldn't need to be sent to PTC. If someone is buying a new axe for that much money, it needs to be set up correctly, which means either a good shop to buy from that will take care of a customer on a new purchase, or at least the buyer knows his stuff if buying from a place where it might have seen some floor time, like GC, etc. Sending a guitar to the PTC for a truss rod adjustment and intonation, maybe a bridge adjustment is silly even for the price it pays to ship the thing, much less have the work done. They certainly do beautiful work though when it comes to the tough stuff like finish work and installing complex parts. But I know you're not disagreeing with that!

Purely out of curiosity, what don't you like about the SE guitars? I'll admit, I'm an SE addict, but I'm not looking to bash you, just to see what about them you don't like. I think when people come here and voice vague negative opinions about products but don't give specific reasons why they think those products aren't up to snuff, we get defensive. At least if we know what you don't like about them, we can respect your point of view, even if we don't agree.

Personally, I think the SE's are really good guitars. Certainly the USA models are better, but I think the SE's can hold their own. I think there are two sides to this coin in the way you expressed your opinion. On the one hand, I have an SE Custom 24 - it's a fine guitar, but knowing what I know now, I would probably just buy an S2, or a used CE or USA custom if I could find one at a decent price. Because you're right, I have spent almost a grand on it with mods, and I easily could've gotten a used CE for that much, and wouldn't have to change anything (probably still would, but that's more of a personal issue). But I also own an SE Fredrik Akesson, and I love that guitar to pieces. I got a set of 57/08 pickups to put in it, which weren't cheap, and I have about $900 into that guitar as well. But if you look at the combination of those pickups and the other options that come stock on that guitar, you're just not going to find a used USA singlecut that has all that unless you get into an Artist Pack, and those don't go used for $900. Lots of the new SE's are exclusive to the SE line, and you won't find similar used USA models anywhere near that price, which is great for me, I just can't afford that stuff right now. Plus I think they perform very well compared to the USA models. They play very nicely, have excellent finishes and fretwork, and the tones are good. Not as good as the USA models, surely, but sit down with a couple of Epiphones, or even Gibsons and Fenders that cost significantly more, and the SE's will keep up or outperform 8 days a week.

And I also have to say, while there are artists that don't play their sig SE, there are probably just as many that do. Both Opeth guitarists do, I believe Nick Catanese does, Bernie does, Zach Myers, and I would be willing to bet that a good chunk of the others mix their SE into their lineup as well.

Anyways, I do sincerely welcome you, and congrats on the new guitars!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

I for one agree with Prs2studio.....no, actually I don't...but c'mon man. We are all guitar players, some level of musician (hobby to pro) but all of us LOVE PRS guitars. So to come on here and rip on what people love, well, might not be the best way to say Hi to the group. As far as your opinions, they are yours. I personally have never owned an SE. I prefer the USA stuff, BUT I have played several in stores and would not hesitate to play one in a gig. I would love to own one! They are the best guitar on the market for the money..PERIOD! There is no Epiphone than can touch a Bernie IMHO..But, that is my opinion. I'm sure someone loves epiphone and swears by them, I've never meet them though. The fact that some guys on here buy them and then MOD them, I think is incredibly cool!! I get why they are doing that and in fact am a bit jealous that I can't do the mods they do to those guitars. Does it make them as good as a USA guitar, probably not, buy maybe! But that is not why those guys do that. If you don't understand why, I don't think it can be explained to you.

As far as the PTC goes, no I would not send them a guitar to have adjusted, but thats only because I have a local guy I trust and would not want to have to deal with shipping and waiting for my guitar. The PTC is the ONLY place in the world I would trust with a mod or a severe repair (cracked neck or something like that). In fact I would not hesitate to send my guitars to them for anything other than routine.

The reason I play PRS is a personal one to me. They are the only guitar that can get the tone I hear in my head and fell they way I think a guitar should feel. I have bought strats, les pauls, teles, etc..they usually last a few weeks before they go out the door. PRS is part of me because its the only guitar that I can express that part of me with.

BTW, this forum is a very special place, a lot of really good quality people on here. You will see what I mean after being on here for awhile.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

PIE!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    PIE!
    Titties!
    2007 Korina McCarty Brazilian
    S2 Custom 24
    SE Bernie Marsden
    SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body
    SE245

I'll second it...

Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

¡sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ