Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are 10-tops typically not book-matched?

Re: Why are 10-tops typically not book-matched?

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer
    In each of those pics, you are looking at the top at an angle. Rotate the top, and the flame will move...
    Jamie
    I know what you mean, that in some cases, depending on the angle/flash/etc some things will show up while others won't. But on those pics, each was pulled from a series of photos, where in every photo the "interesting" part of the flame as I shall call it, was clearly visible from every angle.

But as DirtyMoonsRJT said, he really likes those tops, and I'm sure other people do to. I've just become accustomed over the years to most of the time seeing/buying very well matched (from a visual perspective, not a technical perspective) flame tops, and not...

Where one half of the top had a lot more contrast than the other side, or on one side there was some kind of heavy streak present. And for me, my brain must have some Rain Man type OCD need for parity/alignment/similarity between the two sides of the top, because it really is like fingernails on a chalkboard when I see it lol.

►★*PrSi-4-EvA*★◄

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    In each of those pics, you are looking at the top at an angle. Rotate the top, and the flame will move...
    Jamie
    I know what you mean, that in some cases, depending on the angle/flash/etc some things will show up while others won't. But on those pics, each was pulled from a series of photos, where in every photo the "interesting" part of the flame as I shall call it, was clearly visible from every angle.

But as DirtyMoonsRJT said, he really likes those tops, and I'm sure other people do to. I've just become accustomed over the years to most of the time seeing/buying very well matched (from a visual perspective, not a technical perspective) flame tops, and not...

Where one half of the top had a lot more contrast than the other side, or on one side there was some kind of heavy streak present. And for me, my brain must have some Rain Man type OCD need for parity/alignment/similarity between the two sides of the top, because it really is like fingernails on a chalkboard when I see it lol.

Well, if you ever visit the factory, and you see how they -do- book match the tops, you'll understand that it is the variance in the wood, not the lack of book matching that you're seeing...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    1 and 4 are really good examples...3 is a little tricky and I would hold off judgement until seeing it from another angle, but that one....PERFECT! That center seam is matched from one end to the other. The top isn't exactly what I would pick, but the question is about bookmatching, and it is.
    Too many and never enough...

This could be a great SNL skit.

I'm curious about something. If these tops aren't bookmatched, then what are they? Halves from different trees?

Quote Originally Posted by PRSHB2

I'm curious about something. If these tops aren't bookmatched, then what are they? Halves from different trees?
    They -are- book matched...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman
    As to one piece tops being unusual, it should be obvious: It's harder to find a single piece of wood that's as wide as a guitar with a nice pattern going from edge to edge!
    They are out there though

Quote Originally Posted by Twinfan
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman
    As to one piece tops being unusual, it should be obvious: It's harder to find a single piece of wood that's as wide as a guitar with a nice pattern going from edge to edge!
    They are out there though

You bet, and that's a pretty sweet one!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Oh I know they are. I was only wondering what someone would refer to them as otherwise.

Oh I know they are. I was only wondering what someone would refer to them as otherwise.
    Oh, there's "slip-matched", and yes, some companies (i.e. Gib$on) will use no matched pieces in their opaque top lesters...

Jamie, muddying the waters...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Even if it's a little off on one side, you'd think they would just airbrush it to even it out, jeesh.

Or do I have to go Private Stock for that??

:lol: :lol:
    ►★*PrSi-4-EvA*★◄