Thread: Differences in Regular/Standard and Wide Thin Necks?

Hybrid View

Differences in Regular/Standard and Wide Thin Necks?

I'm looking at getting another PRS - can't have just two

I have a Willcutt DGT and a 59/09. I like both necks. I also played a CU24 for about 8 years with a W/T neck, so I know I like that carve. I have never played a PRS with a regular/standard neck.

From what I understand, the DGT carve is 'similar' to a regular carve. How different is the regular from a wide thin? I remember my CU24 neck being shallow and flat...very different feel from my DGT and 59/09. Are the shoulders on a regular more pronounced? - like a C shape...I'm reaching here in my description, so any help comparing the two carves would be awesome - thanks all!

Thanks for the additional info - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a CU24 with a regular neck profile. Many years ago, I had the good fortune to play an 85 or 86 VY CU24 with a regular profile at the old Garrett Park Guitars location - can't believe they let me play it considering what it was selling for - and remember that it felt different compared to the WT on my CU24 - not bad, just a very different feel in the hand. The guitar was killer and my one experience with a sweet switch - a very good time and great memory

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    I wish PRS would expand it's neck offerings to the larger side of the Pattern.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

There's a fairly new video on the PRS website (Blog area) that shows the 3D computer modeling SW that's used now for necks. What occurs to me is that it would be fairly easy for the PRS web site to add a few cross-sections of the various neck profiles (at the nut, 12th fret, and at the body, for example), to augment the basic dimensions that are already provided (in the Support area). These are easily obtained from their existing 3D models. (Possibly they use Solidworks for the modeling.) I appreciate that the dimensions are there, but they really don't give a complete view of the differences between the various necks.

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    I wonder if that cross sectional view could be modified....using the wonders of computer technology, to show what a larger sized Pattern neck would look like, if it existed.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post
    There's a fairly new video on the PRS website (Blog area) that shows the 3D computer modeling SW that's used now for necks. What occurs to me is that it would be fairly easy for the PRS web site to add a few cross-sections of the various neck profiles (at the nut, 12th fret, and at the body, for example), to augment the basic dimensions that are already provided (in the Support area). These are easily obtained from their existing 3D models. (Possibly they use Solidworks for the modeling.) I appreciate that the dimensions are there, but they really don't give a complete view of the differences between the various necks.
    I agree it's easy to do. The question is whether or not they're interested in releasing this information...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic_ape View Post
    I agree it's easy to do. The question is whether or not they're interested in releasing this information...
    Maybe they are not, but it sure would be very interesting for a lot of end users.
    '11 PRS Custom 24 (10-top, pattern thin, HFS/VB, 210/11 wiring)
    '10 PRS SE Torero
    '07 PRS 513 ("531" mod)
    + other non-PRS gear

Hi new here . The OP asked the same question I was going to ask. Can someone tell me what neck would be the closest to Gibson 60's slim neck? Thanks.