Thread: Korina Limited 1812

Korina Limited 1812

Hello, first time PRS owner and new forum member here . I finally spent the bucks and purchased a mint KL 1812 from my local Guitar Center for $1600 and, besides introducing myself, have a question or two for the experts every forum possesses. First, it is a lovely guitar that sounds great, but I'm wondering to what extent I can improve it as I modify every guitar and amp I buy - even if it's just cosmetically - to make it a tad different than stock. I have heard wonderful things about the 57/08 pickups, but don't know anything about how they would compare with the Mira p/u's this came with. This is also my first Korina guitar and I really like everything associated with it - weight, looks, acoustic tone, etc. Can I make this guitar sound even more <insert superlative here> by swapping p/u's? Do the 57/08s work well with Korina and its inherent clear, mid-range-y tone?

Also, if anyone knows, this guitar's serial number begins with 08, but I've read that PRS made only 100 KL 1812s in 2009. Do I have a different guitar?
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Steve B.; 02-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Hey buddy, welcome aboard!

My KL33 starts with 08 too.

Welcome to the Forum.......................... Very cool Guitar ............................... They sound fanfrigg'intastic!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Hello, first time PRS owner and new forum member here . I finally spent the bucks and purchased a mint KL 1812 from my local Guitar Center for $1600 and, besides introducing myself, have a question or two for the experts every forum possesses. First, it is a lovely guitar that sounds great, but I'm wondering to what extent I can improve it as I modify every guitar and amp I buy - even if it's just cosmetically - to make it a tad different than stock. I have heard wonderful things about the 57/08 pickups, but don't know anything about how they would compare with the Mira p/u's this came with. This is also my first Korina guitar and I really like everything associated with it - weight, looks, acoustic tone, etc. Can I make this guitar sound even more <insert superlative here> by swapping p/u's? Do the 57/08s work well with Korina and its inherent clear, mid-range-y tone?

Also, if anyone knows, this guitar's serial number begins with 08, but I've read that PRS made only 100 KL 1812s in 2009. Do I have a different guitar?
    Thanks guys!
    I had an 1812 that I traded in at the guitar center in Manchester , ct . I replaced it with a Sig. lim. Good luck with your new guit-fiddle !

Didn't happen without pics!!! Nice pick up!

Beautiful guitars, good choice... mine is also an 08, I suspect they probably started making them in late 2008.

I'm happy with the 245/Mira pups in mine. I actually wanted a Mira itself for the longest time, but when the opportunity came up to grab the KL1812 I did that instead - still got the 24 frets, still got the same pickups & the coil tap, but the thing must be under 6 lbs. Incredibly lightweight wood - it's really a special batch of korina. I managed to cure both my Mira and my CU/Std24 GAS all in one go with this, which doesn't happen very often!

If you want it 'punchier' then perhaps consider 59/09s. They're a very modern style PAF that go well with 24-fretters. If you want a more vintage vibe then 57/08s would be the way to go.

As cjmwrx says though, pics or gtfo...
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

So far, I "may not post attachments" which I interpret as I haven't been here long enough to post pics. Es verdad?