Thread: Necessity, The Mother Of Pedalboard Invention

Necessity, The Mother Of Pedalboard Invention

There are times when the intrepid guitarist must simply make do. Especially when one can see the bottom of the barrel of the GAS fund staring back.

Faced with the task of making the pedals on hand work with both the DG30 and the HXDA, two very different sounding amps, I was initially skeptical. I believed that I'd need two separate sets of pedals to work with these two amps. However, I am pleased to announce after a week of fuss-budgeting, I have achieved the nearly impossible. I have reached the summit of Mount Tone and planted the LSchefman flag thereon! Where are those snow goggles, I can only find the beer goggles? But props to me!

After much experimentation, I decided that the OD function on the Fulldrive 3 could sound good with the DG30, but that I'd never use it for that. However, the boost function sounds great with it, and I rarely use that with the HXDA. Because the pedal can have both functions separate, I found that I could set one up for one amp, and the other for the other amp, and use the pedal that way. This was my key realization, my own "Only The Penitent Man Will Pass" kneel-down to kick things off. Suddenly the pedal I use most was going to function both ways. Things went quickly from there.

I seldom used the Catalyst with the HXDA, and when I did, I used it instead as more or less an EQ when running the amp clean. I found after some experimenting that if I set up the Catalyst as a distortion box for the DG amp, it'd sound very good, indeed. So now I had an OD for the DG30. Not only that, but the Catalyst sounds really good pushed by the Xotic SP Compressor. So I put the compressor at the beginning of the chain instead of in a loop after the dirt boxes with the tuner.

I already had the Eventide pedals in a bypass loop, so both could be switched on and off with one footswitch press. No changes there.

Finally, I realized that if I put the tuner in front of the switch box, I could use one of the switcher's bypass loops as an A/B box to feed a second amp. This meant taking the tuner out of the bypass loop. Since I like the fact that the Peterson tuner can be switched in or out of True Bypass (I like having a buffer most of the time but not always) I replaced the Boss TU3 with the Peterson (I've got several tuners for different purposes, and the Peterson is clearly the more accurate tuner even though it takes up more space); I haven't A/Bed their buffers, but I haven't heard a difference between them when the Peterson's buffer is on, so...

Here 'tis, today's Solution To A Problem No One Else On Earth Could Possibly Care About But I Posted About It Because, Hey! Pedalboard Pic!

Last edited by LSchefman; 03-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    I need to build a pedal board.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    I need to build a pedal board.
    It's a slippery slope, you know.

I've been working on this one since 1967.

Yeah, i know what you're saying about being worried your other pedals might not work with a different amp. I'm not sure, but i'd guess %50 of my pedal board won't translate to a different amp without some internal surgery or turning some knobs on the pedal that has them.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Yeah, i know what you're saying about being worried your other pedals might not work with a different amp. I'm not sure, but i'd guess %50 of my pedal board won't translate to a different amp without some internal surgery or turning some knobs on the pedal that has them.

At my age, Serg, I can't bend down to twiddle pedal knobs too often. I could hurt my back. And that might make me close the studio. As a result, I'd go broke. My pockets would no longer be filled with royalty checks from playing the guitar. Instead, they'd be filled with moths looking for checks to eat.

And then, with my life in complete disarray, I might be forced to use a tiny pizza paddle/cheese board thingy as a pedalboard with one, sad, little digital pedal on it.

I would weep.

And when I cry, it rains all over the world. Because I have that power.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-08-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    At my age, Serg, I can't bend down to twiddle pedal knobs too often. I could hurt my back. And that might make me close the studio. As a result, I'd go broke. My pockets would no longer be filled with royalty checks from playing the guitar. Instead, they'd be filled with moths looking for checks to eat.

And then, with my life in complete disarray, I might be forced to use a tiny pizza paddle/cheese board thingy as a pedalboard with one, sad, little digital pedal on it.

That's where you're wrong Les... It's a visual phenomena called forced perspective. That's actually a regular sized pizza board with GIANT happy pedals on it!

That's where you're wrong Les... It's a visual phenomena called forced perspective. That's actually a regular sized pizza board with GIANT happy pedals on it!
    Hah!

Do I really need a pedalboard for the two pedals I own?

Quote Originally Posted by stratcpo View Post
    Only if you really want one.

Now ask me if you need more pedals.

Only if you want to participate in the all important "show your pedalboard" threads, but I can safely tell you that you will need at least three cables.

Only if you want to participate in the all important "show your pedalboard" threads, but I can safely tell you that you will need at least three cables.
    I better get on this! I don't want to be left out....let's see, one board for two pedals.....hmmmm
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

You guys are a complete bunch o' party poopers! Go buy some pedals and stick 'em on a board like the rest of us.

I want to see some pedalboards, stat!

Actually, if they are (really) small boards, you might need 3 - one is for expansion!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are:
    compression, overdrive, tuner, modulation, and echo.

-- Confucius, 500 BCE

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You guys are a complete bunch o' party poopers! Go buy some pedals and stick 'em on a board like the rest of us.

I want to see some pedalboards, stat!
    I had intended to respond to this thread a couple days ago but did not actually have a picture of my pedal board. I just put this together a couple weeks ago as I was getting irritated with replacing batteries, and having the pedals always in different places when prepped to use. Anywho hope it okay to bump the thread since you asked for pic's of boards. I only have three pedals ... I bought the smallest board that would fit the Wah pedal and about the only thing I might consider buying in the future is an EP booster and / or a Carbon Copy Delay, neither of which are really nessessary for what I do (which is not much).

Yeah listen to Les

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesboy998 View Post
    Yeah listen to Les
    This is the first pedal board I have ever seen designed to be used while rock-leaping! Cool!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    This is the first pedal board I have ever seen designed to be used while rock-leaping! Cool!
    I have a keyboard stand I use with mine, too! Easier to turn the knobs setting up the pedals that way (especially at my advanced age).

Cool pedalboards, guys! Two thumbs up!