Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Which of the 2 Guitar tech would you go to for a set up?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Raymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    342

    Which of the 2 Guitar tech would you go to for a set up?

    Which Guitar tech would you go to?

    Guitar Tech 1 – A small independent guitar store recommended by a friend who used him years back. Originally says it takes a week turn around but when I mentioned it is for a PRS Custom 24 he said he could do a same day set up as I said I wouldn't like to be without my guitar for a week and if he could do a same day set up.

    http://www.guitarcavern.co.uk/ (site current under re-development, was working last week)

    Guitar Tech 2 – A big national store recommended by a colleague at work. 1 week turn around, I asked about same day set up and he refused as he wants to give the guitar time to settle down after any tweaks and do not want people slagging off his work due to the guitar hasn't settled down and taken it away in a Same Day set up.

    http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/birmingham.html

    Both are the same price 40 + strings.
    Last edited by Raymond; 03-10-2014 at 09:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Which Guitar tech would you go to?

    Guitar Tech 1 A small independent guitar store recommended by a friend who used him years back. Originally says it takes a week turn around but when I mentioned it is for a PRS Custom 24 he said he could do a same day set up as I said I wouldn't like to be without my guitar for a week and if he could do a same day set up.

    Guitar Tech 2 A big national store recommended by a colleague at work. 1 week turn around, I asked about same day set up and he refused as he wants to give the guitar time to settle down after any tweaks and do not want people slagging off his work due to the guitar hasn't settled down and taken it away in a Same Day set up.

    Both are the same price 40 + strings.
    Small shop... He is likely not selling enough guitars to make a living so a major portion of his income is likely coming from setups, repairs, and modifications. This means he needs to be good as word of mouth and repeat business puts food on his table. A "tech" at a big chain store is nothing but a value add service and he's getting paid no matter what.

    In a perfect world I would research the two a bit better. If you can get more recommendations it should help. The guy I am using now doesn't advertise, I didn't even know he was there even though I have lived in the area for years. After doing research I found recommendations from every major guitar forum out there from multiple people. I took a guitar in that was screwed up by someone else and it came back amazing. He has now setup 8 guitars for me and everyone is better than the last(partly because the instruments are getting better).

  3. #3
    Old Guys Rule! Pfloyd57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    153
    I've got a soft spot for small shops operated by people with a passion for instruments.
    '14 P24 Trem AP / '11 Artist V / '01 Cu24 10-Top / '65 Fender Mustang / '78 Fender Stratocaster / '96 Gibson Les Paul Custom / '80 Gibson E/2 / '08 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ltd. / '95 Rickenbacker 360/12 / '90 Steinberger GL4T / '72 Martin D-35 / '73 Martin D-18 / Hernandez Classical / Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100 Half Stack / Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 / Fender Twin / Marshall AS100D

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Driffield. U.K
    Posts
    438
    Small shop everytime. You have to support the independent retailer. He makes his living on reputation and worth of mouth.
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

  5. #5
    Senior Member wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    658
    i like the little guys, but go to the big change. this guy sounds like a perfectionist jerk. should treat your guitar like it's his own.
    I like surprises!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Raymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    342
    I'll go to the little guy then, I can always go back for any tweaks if required. He is also more local to me as well.

  7. #7
    Another vote for the little guy - 1 day turn around plus you might get him to let you watch.

    Not to be "that guy", but I paid for a set up exactly twice before Dan Earlwine taught me:


    The book has paid for itself many times over, my setups are always exactly to my liking, and I'm never without my guitar. I can set a guitar up in the middle of the night while every tech is closed. Best part is after a few years you can do continuous setup on the road without having to even really measure - because you know what you like with your hands, and you'll learn to adjust to that intuitively.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Raymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    342
    Thanks for the book recommendation, i notice there is a second edition out (2011), the one in your photo costs twice as much being out of print ! lol

  9. #9
    Senior Member LJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    434
    Figure out exactly who would be doing the work. Go with whoever has the knowledge and experience. Call and ask to speak with the tech, find out how long he or she has been setting up guitars and ask if they have experience with PRS guitars. I found a tech once who had decades of experience but couldn't figure out the locking tuners, go figure. Good luck!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Thanks for the book recommendation, i notice there is a second edition out (2011), the one in your photo costs twice as much being out of print ! lol
    lol how funny! I doubt the updated version would be worse. I'll have to check it out and see if there's anything new in the tech stories section. I think I bought mine from a stack of essentially brand new ones at Halfprice books back around 2001. Hadn't thought anything about it til now, looks like the latest date in it was 1994. Maybe it'll be a collectors item some day

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bill SAS 513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Manchester, Maryland
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidhamster View Post
    Another vote for the little guy - 1 day turn around plus you might get him to let you watch.

    Not to be "that guy", but I paid for a set up exactly twice before Dan Earlwine taught me:


    The book has paid for itself many times over, my setups are always exactly to my liking, and I'm never without my guitar. I can set a guitar up in the middle of the night while every tech is closed. Best part is after a few years you can do continuous setup on the road without having to even really measure - because you know what you like with your hands, and you'll learn to adjust to that intuitively.
    And apparently it's a collectable!!!! I have that book and would also say its worth its weight in gold (Hardware on a whitewash SAS that is)...
    The most important thing if you want to tackle your own set-ups is take your time, and make alot of small adjustments instead of one big adjustment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •