Thread: DGT: the pickups? or the strings?

DGT: the pickups? or the strings?

The sound on the DGT is amazing: thick & multi-layered....any thoughts on whether this is due mostly to the pickups, or whether a lot of credit goes to using 11-gauge strings? If you restring a DGT with 9's of 10's, what do you lose?

I say the pickups for sure. I put 11's on other guys and not come close my DGT.
    I like surprises!!!

I have gone back in forth a few times with string gauge to see the difference and IMHO .011s on the DGT is a critical part of its overall DNA. When going to .010s I did not get the bloom, girth or complexity that I hear from the .011s. Just like anything else it is a culmination of many little things that make up this thing we love. Also, my DGT is 7.5lbs and to my ears much more open than many others I played that were in the 8 - 9lbs range. YMMV.

I use 11s on everything but my Custom 22 with DGT pickups is the best. I have used DGT pickups in other guitars with 11s and it's just not quite the same. So, I have come to the conclusion that it's a combination of the pickups, the strings, AND the trem working together. I would love to have the opportunity to test this theory further.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Has anyone with a DGT down-graded to 9's or 10's? How much did it impact the sound?

I use 10's on mine and I hear no disernable difference

It's the pickups. I play 9.5's and the thing still sounds like money in the bank.
    Check out my band, Missing Pieces!!!

2013 Wood Library DGT Armando's Amethyst - "Marie"
    2012 SE Angelus Standard - "Calvin"

I'm going pickups all the way. I've mostly converted from 9s to 10s on most of my guitars, but the DGT is still 11s. To be honest, I didn't hear a lot of difference between the 9s and 10s. But I definitely hear the pup difference.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Forsure the pups. Dgt has lots of low end which I love.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesboy998 View Post
    I use 10's on mine and I hear no disernable difference
    When I played a DGT, I also heard no discernible difference. But, personally, I think the DGT is a "Whole Package" - the 11's made it feel more like a player, made it feel better to me, against the larger frets and those amazing pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockGuitarGuy View Post
    When I played a DGT, I also heard no discernible difference. But, personally, I think the DGT is a "Whole Package" - the 11's made it feel more like a player, made it feel better to me, against the larger frets and those amazing pickups.
    Speaking of the whole package, the DG30 amp is also phenomenal.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Speaking of the whole package, the DG30 amp is also phenomenal.
    There's one at a dealer close to me. I have been trying to refrain from scheduling time with it.

I have had a few DGT models. The 11's are great. I put 10's on one of them and felt like Super-Man after having spent hours on the 11's.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I have gone back in forth a few times with string gauge to see the difference and IMHO .011s on the DGT is a critical part of its overall DNA. When going to .010s I did not get the bloom, girth or complexity that I hear from the .011s. Just like anything else it is a culmination of many little things that make up this thing we love. Also, my DGT is 7.5lbs and to my ears much more open than many others I played that were in the 8 - 9lbs range. YMMV.
    What he said.

It's definitely the whole package. Body thickness is also a factor. But the 11s with the big frets make me grab that neck and beat the bliss out of it.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+