Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a few small issues.....

Just a few small issues.....

Just bought a new Custom 24 from a dealer back east. Great guitar as expected. HOWEVER- I have a few complaints. If PRS is interested in offering the best possible product (And it appears they are), then here are a few things that should be examined:

1. The nut. The nut looked like it came out of a box of unfinished tall, fat and pre-grooved nuts. It wasn't final shaped, and the string grooves get progressively deeper, from the bass side to the treble side to an ultimate depth of at least .065" at the high E. This is WAY too deep for a string to sit on a nut. It looked like some jamoke from Taiwan did the nut and just left it that way and glued it in. Shameful.

2. The strap buttons. Simple, generic, plain-jane buttons, which isn't a real huge problem considering most players will opt for changing them to their preferred kind i.e., locking, etc. I was just really surprised to see that the little cheesy strap buttons were screwed right down the the bare finish, without the usual felt pads that you'll find on better guitars. In fact, I've bought guitars for 600 bucks that had felt pads on the strap buttons. The absence of these just strikes me as El Cheapo.

3. The headstock. This is my main gripe, because I'll have to live with this forever. Most, if not all PRS's I've seen have either a really cool inlay of some sort or that large raised Paul Reed Smith signature. Mine only has a little, sloppy hand-executed signature done with what looks like a gold metallic paint pen. It looks like hell, Paul. What were you thinking? Was it like the last of 900 you signed that day? This guitar possesses all the qualities that your guitars are famous for. It's really nice. But it has a half-assed hand-scribbled signature indelibly encapsulated under the finish to irk me for the rest of my life. Really shameful. I really expected to have NO complaints with a guitar listed at $5000.00, and quite frankly I was pretty shocked to have these three.

That's it. 3 easily-corrected issues. Hopefully the next time I'm able to scrape up the money necessary to buy another one, I won't see these amateurish goobers...

Richard Bennett
    Fullerton, CA.
    Last edited by Rubyfocus; 03-13-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I'm gonna have to see pics to see what you bought in order to side with you. Sorry you're bummed.

Sorry to hear the problems. I'm with Sergio…need pics to see what's up.

Once I get home today, I'll put together a few pics and post them just for good measure....

Thing is....it works.Nut looks different but works the best in business.To me the strapbuttons are great and dont need to be changed.I think the signature on the headstock looks classy.With that said plug her in and give us a powerchord.Its not a magic wand you bought for thousands of dollars,its a guitar.

The "hand-scribbled" signature would indicate that you've got a limited edition on your hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfocus View Post
    Once I get home today, I'll put together a few pics and post them just for good measure....
    Cool! Some of the things you're talking about just seem out of place for a brand new PRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    The "hand-scribbled" signature would indicate that you've got a limited edition on your hands...
    Correct. That's one of the things that I'm wondering about.. and those ain't brand new guitars, so somethings could've been altered.

PRS has never used felt pads on the strap pins; instead of simply drilling a hole and screwing them down as far as they'll go, they're put in with precision.

If you indeed have a stock nut, you should know that the strings in a PRS nut always sit deeply. That's how they're designed.

And as Whitecat stated, the hand signed signature is something that's highly sought after by collectors.

Unless your guitar was altered and something is wrong, it seems like you should have done a little homework before buying your PRS if these things bother you, because if I understand your post correctly, these things are not goobers, they're how they're supposed to be.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-12-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

The handsigned sig is a limited run from 2012 with 10 tops that are more like artist tops than ten tops. The fingerboard has the artist Modern Eagle Paua Birds instead of the brown MOP dirty birds. The headstock is handsigned by PRS, something he has not done in a very very long time, except for this very limited run. Some of these are still out there and you probably have one. A call to PRS and give them the serial number will confirm. The "limited run" or "handsigned" does not appear on any documentation or hang tags. Very much a collectable. I play the hell out of mine and it is a great guitar.

I'd like to see some pics too...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

As most have pointed out in this thread, I don't think those "issues" you pointed out are mistakes in any form. The strings have always sat a bit deep in PRS nuts, and the strap buttons don't need the felt IMO as they're put in perfectly. But you may never know, the nut may have been incorrectly filed.

The hand-signed signature was a limited run a year or two ago. Some very nice guitars there.

Would you like to sell me your guitar??? It is 2014 and I don't have a guitar deduction yet! That cheap hand scribbled sig should bring the price down and if I have to buy felts too then.....................

+1

And you referred to the strap buttons as "little cheesy strap buttons". They're actually very high quality buttons, and have never been mistaken for being "little".

You got lucky and don't even know why.

Next time do a little research.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You got lucky and don't even know why.
    Holy Sh!t buddy! You did well.

The nut is cut that deeply so the strings don't flop outta the nut when using the whammy, and those buttons aren't cheap.

Last edited by sergiodeblanc; 03-13-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: popcorn

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    I've never read such a well articulated post that complains about the very things most of us love about PRS guitars.

1. The hand-written sig? Awesome (especially since it doesn't look like the sticker or inlaid logo). We won't have Paul forever. Can you imagine if your 1964 Strat was signed by Leo on the headstock?

2. The new-style nut? Solid (and they sound great).

3. The Fender bass string retainer used as strap buttons? An old Skool tradition for PRS guitars (and... not "small" compared to any other strap button on the market).

But what cracks me up the most... why in the WORLD would someone who dislikes so many things about a guitar buy one? If it's a big enough deal to gripe about it on the official forum of PRS Guitars, why not return it and get something (anything) that you truly love? To see fanbois and apologists come running to the defense of their hero?

I don't get it.
    One Life

Would you like to swap with my sticker Paul Reed Smith cu24?

Am I the only one who does not see a pic of the guitar in its entirety?

Strange.... My eyes must be getting old and grey....