Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a few small issues.....

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    The strap buttons certainly aren't little! I had to replace them on my Brent Mason model because I couldn't get my strap on over them--and it was a PRS strap too! The problem wasn't just that the heads of the buttons were large and flat, but that the shaft was shorter than the strap is thick. I even tried taking the buttons off the guitar, putting them through the holes in the strap, and screwing them back on the guitar, and that didn't work either, so I replaced them with regular Dunlop buttons and everything's fine now. I did wind up using the original PRS screws to mount the Dunlop buttons, as the Dunlop screws were too short.

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    I wish my Custom 24 sucked as bad as yours. Quit your griping!
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I've never read such a well articulated post that complains about the very things most of us love about PRS guitars.

1. The hand-written sig? Awesome (especially since it doesn't look like the sticker or inlaid logo). We won't have Paul forever. Can you imagine if your 1964 Strat was signed by Leo on the headstock?

2. The new-style nut? Solid (and they sound great).

3. The Fender bass string retainer used as strap buttons? An old Skool tradition for PRS guitars (and... not "small" compared to any other strap button on the market).

But what cracks me up the most... why in the WORLD would someone who dislikes so many things about a guitar buy one? If it's a big enough deal to gripe about it on the official forum of PRS Guitars, why not return it and get something (anything) that you truly love? To see fanbois and apologists come running to the defense of their hero?

I don't get it.
    Yea, what he said.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

You people are sheep, and in "running to the defense" of your hero missed my point. But that's ok. Now that I know what I'm dealing with here, I'll save any further technical discussion until I can be sure that I'm not in the company of troglodytes who don't know the difference between a properly shaped and fitted nut versus one which isn't. I thought it was a no-brainer. And I thought I was pretty clear when I said that I think the guitar is great. I had three small, fairly reasonable gripes. Jeez! I'm just not a huge fan of sloppy autographs scrawled across the front of the headstock, and not in a slightly less conspicuous place. I wouldn't mind Paul's autograph plastered across my Harmony acoustic if I didn't have any paper; Not on a five thousand dollar guitar. Sorry. The dude makes excellent guitars, but he's not rock star.....
    Shecky, get the jet. We're outta here.

The nut and the strap buttons were fair observations/comments, IMO.

The signature issue though, that's honestly just not knowing what you're buying!

Virtually every & any other CU24 ever made other than a handful of limited runs including yours would have included a raised signature sticker or an inlaid signature made from some kind of expensive shellfish in the case of artist grade stuff. So choosing the limited edition version would be odd if that's an important thing, because in this case it's a 'feature.'
    Last edited by Whitecat; 03-13-2014 at 05:53 AM.
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)

Quite the Custom you have there.....I would love to have the hand signed headstock myself..
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfocus View Post
    You people are sheep

Quote Originally Posted by '
    But what cracks me up the most... why in the WORLD would someone who dislikes so many things about a guitar buy one? If it's a big enough deal to gripe about it on the official forum of PRS Guitars, why not return it and get something (anything) that you truly love? To see fanbois and apologists come running to the defense of their hero?

I don't get it.
    This
    PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Mike Mustok Baritone Brown Burst to come later.

Now that I know what I'm dealing with here, I'll save any further technical discussion until I can be sure that I'm not in the company of troglodytes who don't know the difference between a properly shaped and fitted nut versus one which isn't. I thought it was a no-brainer.
    Good point. Amazing that after nearly 30 years of building such high quality guitars, PRS hasn't figured out that 'nut fitting' issue yet. Now be a good guy and go tell them about it. I'm sure they'll be grateful. ; - /

So... How does the guitar play?

"You people are sheep"

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by toothace View Post
    "You people are sheep"

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Minor correction: "troglodyte" sheep.

A combination so rare Google image search couldn't even be sure what I was looking for.

The "problems"you cite are all features that PRS has tweaked from the beginning to this point in time. They are all on your guitar by design. If they are so onerous that you just cannot live with them, maybe you should be playing a different brand.

You people are sheep,...
    in the company of troglodytes...
    Really?? Your 4th post here and you are already into name calling?

We're outta here.
    Probably for the best.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Minor correction: "troglodyte" sheep.

A combination so rare Google image search couldn't even be sure what I was looking for.

New forum mascot???
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Personally.

1 - headstock engraving, I'd love a personally signed one, it's like an artist signing his painting. I am a photographer, any prints that I sell I sign it personally and date it.
    2 - the nut, there is no issue with it at all. It's functional and it functions very well.
    3 - the strap button - if anything, it is a bit too big and I would prefer a Schaller strap lock from the factory but it's not the end of the world.

This thread is entertaining!

1. The nut. The nut looked like it came out of a box of unfinished tall, fat and pre-grooved nuts. It wasn't final shaped, and the string grooves get progressively deeper, from the bass side to the treble side to an ultimate depth of at least .065" at the high E. This is WAY too deep for a string to sit on a nut. It looked like some jamoke from Taiwan did the nut and just left it that way and glued it in. Shameful.
    Assuming you are not simply referring to how the nut LOOKS - do you experience fret buzz on open strings, the higher strings especially?

2. The strap buttons. Simple, generic, plain-jane buttons, which isn't a real huge problem considering most players will opt for changing them to their preferred kind i.e., locking, etc. I was just really surprised to see that the little cheesy strap buttons were screwed right down the the bare finish, without the usual felt pads that you'll find on better guitars. In fact, I've bought guitars for 600 bucks that had felt pads on the strap buttons. The absence of these just strikes me as El Cheapo.
    These strap buttons are meant to hold the strap tightly even without changing them out for locking strap systems. Looks are subjective; I don't mind them. I did change mine for some locking ones however, and was also surprised to see no felt pad. There had been no damage to the finish underneath, so I assume they know what they are doing with those. I just put my own felt pad underneath the new buttons, as I assumed that I DON'T know what I'm doing.

3. The headstock. This is my main gripe, because I'll have to live with this forever. Most, if not all PRS's I've seen have either a really cool inlay of some sort or that large raised Paul Reed Smith signature. Mine only has a little, sloppy hand-executed signature done with what looks like a gold metallic paint pen. It looks like hell, Paul. What were you thinking? Was it like the last of 900 you signed that day? This guitar possesses all the qualities that your guitars are famous for. It's really nice. But it has a half-assed hand-scribbled signature indelibly encapsulated under the finish to irk me for the rest of my life. Really shameful. I really expected to have NO complaints with a guitar listed at $5000.00, and quite frankly I was pretty shocked to have these three.
    Well.. This has been discussed by other forum members. Seems to be a special run guitar, which apparently was not what you wanted - or am I missing something? If you paid that much for it, why not return it and get a regular guitar for a lot cheaper? Heck, you could probably buy TWO instead.

You people are sheep, and in "running to the defense" of your hero missed my point. But that's ok. Now that I know what I'm dealing with here, I'll save any further technical discussion until I can be sure that I'm not in the company of troglodytes who don't know the difference between a properly shaped and fitted nut versus one which isn't. I thought it was a no-brainer. And I thought I was pretty clear when I said that I think the guitar is great. I had three small, fairly reasonable gripes. Jeez! I'm just not a huge fan of sloppy autographs scrawled across the front of the headstock, and not in a slightly less conspicuous place. I wouldn't mind Paul's autograph plastered across my Harmony acoustic if I didn't have any paper; Not on a five thousand dollar guitar. Sorry. The dude makes excellent guitars, but he's not rock star.....
    Shecky, get the jet. We're outta here.
    Where to start.....

If PRS is interested in offering the best possible product (And it appears they are), then here are a few things that should be examined:
    Well, if you're interested in PRS examining the things you mention - then why on earth are you not telling THEM instead of us?
    They're right here: custserv@prsguitars.com
    A word of advice, though. Resorting to namecalling and the like (sheep, troglodytes who don't know the difference between a properly shaped and fitted nut versus one which isn't, "running to the defense of your hero", etc..) should probably be kept for your second mail to them, when they have answered your questions. I'm sure they will be professional, but it is just kind of rude and... I don't know... extremely childish?

Geez, I wish my luck sucked like yours. My CU24 has a pretty gold sticker. I had to ask Paul to autograph my hat. I'd sure rather have his actual signature on my headstock.
    '14 P24 Trem AP / '11 Artist V / '01 Cu24 10-Top / '65 Fender Mustang / '78 Fender Stratocaster / '96 Gibson Les Paul Custom / '80 Gibson E/2 / '08 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ltd. / '95 Rickenbacker 360/12 / '90 Steinberger GL4T / '72 Martin D-35 / '73 Martin D-18 / Hernandez Classical / Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100 Half Stack / Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 / Fender Twin / Marshall AS100D

Dude return the guitar and buy a Gibson.

Leave the real guitars for us sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCst22 View Post
    Dude return the guitar and buy a Gibson.

Leave the real guitars for us sheep.

I almost wonder if he bought that guitar just to have a quasi-legitimate excuse to spew that sheep crap on here!