Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: New PS Violin Guitar - any more details?

  1. #21
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Will they be called "Violin guitars", like the original? Or will they have some unique designation like Violin 2 (V2)?
    That's actually a very good question. What makes this a "violin guitar?" I would think it should have a perny neck to be called that. How does it affect those that previously bought "violin guitars?"
    Last edited by 11top; 03-15-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    Sh*tter's full

  2. #22
    Senior Member sleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,089
    White pickup selector knob ...pass lol

    Love these violin series, truly beautiful figuring.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Prs SE CU 24 Floyd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

  3. #23
    408 Sig Club President Twinfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    That's actually a very good question. What makes this a "violin guitar?" I would think it should have a perny neck to be called that. How does it affect those that previously bought "violin guitars?"
    It's a Violin Guitar as it has the colour, fancy maple top and a flamed maple neck, which is maybe more violin-like than the originals.

    How it affects the originals is interesting - does the difference of a pernie neck warrant an upcharge? Or do they get dragged down to the level of the new ones?

  4. #24
    Whatever they're called, they are gorgeous.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  5. #25
    Auth. PRS Dealer Brian G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Posts
    670
    Hey folks-
    Figured I would post the specs on these, I have the US Prototype coming to the shop, heres what its all about!

    Violin Prototype Specs:
    Curly European maple top
    Lightweight mahogany back
    Curly maple neck
    Ebony fretboard, veneer and truss rod cover
    25” scale length
    Gold MOP “Violin” birds & Eagle
    Strad purfling on fretboard & headstock veneer
    Ivoroid side dots
    Violin / HG Nitro finish
    Phase III locking tuning pegs with ivoroid buttons
    57/08- brushed nickel covered pickups
    Volume, Tone w/ 3-way toggle
    PRS Stoptail Aluminum stoptail w/ brass inserts
    Mixed hardware

    I compared it to the regular (non-prototype) specs and everything seems to be the same.




  6. #26
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
    Or do they get dragged down to the level of the new ones?
    Sh*tter's full

  7. #27
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,160
    The original ME has not decreased in value due to the ME2, ME3, Quatro, ME250, or ME Limited. I can't imagine that the Violin 2 (V2) will have anything to do with the value of an original Violin McCarty.
    One Life

  8. #28
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    2,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    The original ME has not decreased in value due to the ME2, ME3, Quatro, ME250, or ME Limited. I can't imagine that the Violin 2 (V2) will have anything to do with the value of an original Violin McCarty.
    Agreed. The original violins are quite special and I don't see something new taking away from that. It might make it a bit less clear what it means when you claim to have one.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Audie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    Hey folks-
    Figured I would post the specs on these, I have the US Prototype coming to the shop, heres what its all about!

    Violin Prototype Specs:
    Curly European maple top
    Lightweight mahogany back
    Curly maple neck
    Ebony fretboard, veneer and truss rod cover
    25” scale length
    Gold MOP “Violin” birds & Eagle
    Strad purfling on fretboard & headstock veneer
    Ivoroid side dots
    Violin / HG Nitro finish
    Phase III locking tuning pegs with ivoroid buttons
    57/08- brushed nickel covered pickups
    Volume, Tone w/ 3-way toggle
    PRS Stoptail Aluminum stoptail w/ brass inserts
    Mixed hardware

    I compared it to the regular (non-prototype) specs and everything seems to be the same.
    Yes, but are'nt these specs for the double cutaway version?. I am contemplating pulling the trigger on the single cutaway, which has the hog neck, santana style headstock, no fretboard purfling (just like in the private stock thread picture yesterday and on page one of this thread) 24.5 scale, otherwise same specs as above, and is the R Killer. I believe we are talking about two different guitars, though both available and being kept discreet.

    Last edited by Audie; 03-15-2014 at 02:40 PM.

  10. #30
    Prince of Paisley iahawk36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North Country
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAV View Post
    Im pretty sure that the SC is the Paul's R* Killer that Paul Showed me at NAMM...
    Thats a short run of 245 scale, thicker than normal PRS that have NEW PAF 5708 Voiced pickups.. I was told 10-12 pcs Private Stock..
    Every artist that played said they spanked the R* in every way, and had that Big Ballsy LP sound you would expect, putting the Thump in your heart with every power chord..
    Surrrre they did....this is just the latest "sinker" mahogany, chaltecoco "pernambuco", "sell everything else, because these are the best", propaganda from PRS IMHO..... GREAT guitars I'm sure, but not any better than the last round of the "latest and greatest"....
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

  11. #31
    Auth. PRS Dealer Brian G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    Yes, but are'nt these specs for the double cutaway version?. I am contemplating pulling the trigger on the single cutaway, which has the hog neck, santana style headstock, no fretboard purfling (just like in the private stock thread picture yesterday and on page one of this thread) 24.5 scale, otherwise same specs as above, and is the R Killer. I believe we are talking about two different guitars, though both available and being kept discreet.

    Yes, we are talking about two different guitars. The PS McCarty Singlecut is the one you speak of, I have the Prototype for that coming too. Basically, Private Stock is making some models to stock based on their specifications...and here they are:

    McCarty Singlecut Prototype Specs:
    Curly maple top
    Lightweight mahogany back
    Mahogany neck
    Brazilian RW fretboard, veneer and truss rod cover
    24.5” scale length
    Mammoth Ivory old style birds & Signature Inlay
    Santana headstock shape
    Curly binding along the fretboard
    Faded McCarty Sunburst / HG Nitro finish
    Phase III locking tuning pegs with ebony buttons
    57/08- nickel covered pickups
    2 Volume, 2 Tone w/ 3-way toggle
    2pc PRS Stoptail
    Nickel Hardware
    Bone Nut

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    Surrrre they did....this is just the latest "sinker" mahogany, chaltecoco "pernambuco", "sell everything else, because these are the best", propaganda from PRS IMHO..... GREAT guitars I'm sure, but not any better than the last round of the "latest and greatest"....
    Gosh, Hawk, maybe the man is genuinely excited about the guitar?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    Surrrre they did....this is just the latest "sinker" mahogany, chaltecoco "pernambuco", "sell everything else, because these are the best", propaganda from PRS IMHO..... GREAT guitars I'm sure, but not any better than the last round of the "latest and greatest"....

    I still think the Artist 3 semi hollow trems from 20 years ago were the "greatest" guitars PRS has made. Well, I can say they are my personal favorites for sure, and to my ear, spank any LP ever made.

  14. #34
    Prince of Paisley iahawk36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North Country
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Gosh, Hawk, maybe the man is genuinely excited about the guitar?
    Sorry Les, but how many times have we heard this exact same song from PRS? My OPINION is that this is just more of the same....I mean, these aren't even different specs from the production....but they're "better"....surrrrre....
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

  15. #35
    408 Sig Club President Twinfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    478
    ^ my thoughts too. I wonder how different it sounds from a McCarty Artist pack with a maple neck at 60% of the price.........?

  16. #36
    Senior Member Audie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    414
    Hey Hawk,

    What I heard about the SC anyway is this: PRS was very much involved with these, it was his project. The deviation from standard specs supposedly are the nut (bone), pots and caps(?), neck tweaks(?), tweaked and altered 57.08's, and supposedly other things. I was told Paul was humble about the guitar and did not comment other than to give a bashfully awe shucks smile with confidence at the initial question and then say nothing more. His reps would then chime in and say very little, which is where I will kinda not really ( not gonna give up source) say I got this information indirectly, and the artist players and guest artist were cuckoo over it and did all the raving that set the hype into motion. To which Paul would not comment on the guitar, other than the grin, which many say when Paul does that, he is humbly and most very pleased with the outcome. That is what is driving the hype and truly nothing from PRS as frustrating as it is for everyone, they have not commented or even marketed the guitar yet. Peace!

  17. #37
    Senior Member CatStrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    267
    I suspect the "violin" part of name is really referring to the maple top. Since AFAICS this type of maple is not offered AP's it is a private stock guitar whether the price is warranted or not. The specs don't call out my name and I personally am very happy with the figured maple from north america, but certainly would try either one of these out if I had the chance.

  18. #38
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAV View Post
    Im pretty sure that the SC is the Paul's R* Killer that Paul Showed me at NAMM...
    Thats a short run of 245 scale, thicker than normal PRS that have NEW PAF 5708 Voiced pickups.. I was told 10-12 pcs Private Stock..
    Every artist that played said they spanked the R* in every way, and had that Big Ballsy LP sound you would expect, putting the Thump in your heart with every power chord..

    Those should be ready in a few weeks... Here are some pics I took while at NAMM, and btw I have 2 incoming...



    JD, I love every bit of info provided here...sounds very cool. Would love to have one of these, just not gonna be in the cards though.

  19. #39
    Bobble Head Moderator JMintzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,439
    That guitar makes me tingle in my "special place"...
    ---Jamie---

    My Gear

  20. #40
    Senior Member Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    That's actually a very good question. What makes this a "violin guitar?" I would think it should have a perny neck to be called that. How does it affect those that previously bought "violin guitars?"
    Not sure why they'd call these Violin Guitars. (I know you know this but) The real Private Stock Violin Guitars had European Maple tops from the same forrest as the trees some dead guy used to make violins a billion years ago, they had Pernambuco (sp?) necks, Celtic Knot inlays and were numbered "x of 50". These can't be "51 of 50, 52 of 50" etc. The comments so far lead me to think this run is not Private Stock so they must be planning on calling them "Bargain Basement Violin Guitar Knock-offs".

    How does it affect those who dropped serious coin on the original run of "only 50 to be made"? At first it might really, really piss them off. But then they might take solace in knowing they have one of the authentic models and these new ones are just cheap copies. It will also occur to them that.....

    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    Sorry Les, but how many times have we heard this exact same song from PRS? My OPINION is that this is just more of the same....I mean, these aren't even different specs from the production....but they're "better"....surrrrre....
    Nothing PRS ever does is really a "limited run" no mater what they tell you when they sell you. There are what, six Dragon runs now? Five Artist Limited runs. How many Signature runs, two or three? The 57/08 run that we were told would be the only chance to get those pups didn't mean much as just a year later they were putting those pups in dang near every guitar they built. If you like it, buy it but don't believe any of the "limited" "only a few" hype.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •