Thread: CU22 semi hollow LTD vs Walnut version????

CU22 semi hollow LTD vs Walnut version????

It says the top is routed on the walnut version, is that the same way the "regular" one was done? Does anyone own both of these and able to give a tone report, or better yet, do a clip comparison? What are all the differences? Thanks in advance!!!!

I know a number of people here own these. I recently seen one at Markie's, but didn't play it. I know martysnarf did and he's quite the tone talker so maybe he can chime in on this one.
    Plank Owner

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    I've got one of the Walnut semi hollows, it's rapidly become one of my go-to guitars. Rediculously resonant.
    Be.
    Do.
    Have.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Poo View Post
    I've got one of the Walnut semi hollows, it's rapidly become one of my go-to guitars. Rediculously resonant.

Thanks guys! Any drool inducing pictures? Have you played a "normal" one? (I guess I should say Maple capped) If so, how do they compare tonally? I have owned two of the maple ones and a buddy owns another. All three were (are) insanley resonant as well. I feel they are easily one of the best guitars PRS has ever put out, and why I am so interested in the walnut version. Maybe a PS Artist 3 semi hollow trem walnut capped should be on my want list. No color to worry about either. Natural is the only way to go with walnut IMO.

The hollow body trem guitars almost motivate me to get a better day job.

Anyone own or have played both???

I have had both in the store, and it's going to be a real personal thing about the tone to each person. My GENERAL feeling is the maple guitar from the XPRS is clearer and maybe a little brighter. Although the Walnut is beautiful and limited to 25 pcs, to me it was not the winner in a head to head comparison. Others may have a different opinion, but the I believe the XPRS guitars are really overlooked and are super verasatile and are RICH in Tone.... Ymmv!
    www.guitarmaverick.com
    www.facebook.com/guitarmaverick (LIKE US!)
    Call or Text my cell 512 422 2005

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAV View Post
    I have had both in the store, and it's going to be a real personal thing about the tone to each person. My GENERAL feeling is the maple guitar from the XPRS is clearer and maybe a little brighter. Although the Walnut is beautiful and limited to 25 pcs, to me it was not the winner in a head to head comparison. Others may have a different opinion, but the I believe the XPRS guitars are really overlooked and are super verasatile and are RICH in Tone.... Ymmv!
    Is the XPRS the "regular" Cu22 semi hollow LTD? This one? If so, I agree they are incredible!!

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Thanks guys! Any drool inducing pictures? Have you played a "normal" one? (I guess I should say Maple capped) If so, how do they compare tonally? I have owned two of the maple ones and a buddy owns another. All three were (are) insanley resonant as well. I feel they are easily one of the best guitars PRS has ever put out, and why I am so interested in the walnut version. Maybe a PS Artist 3 semi hollow trem walnut capped should be on my want list. No color to worry about either. Natural is the only way to go with walnut IMO.
    Tag - I've owned 4-5 HB I's and II's (one is a PS I think Markie owns now), a HB Spruce, a PS Singlecut HB w/ Soapbars, several PRS Archtops (II's and IV's IIRC), and the Walnut Semihollow. They all have had their own thing going on, but I really like the resonance I hear in the Walnut Semi. The guitar just sustains like crazy, has a really nice upper mid resonance and a smooth top end. Sound-wise, it's brighter than my Modern Eagle and my 408, but a little darker and thinner sounding than my Les Paul R8. I'll try to post some clips over the weekend, I need to finish building out my DAW first though. No need to spend PS dollars on one of these - I believe there are still a couple around. I know Guitar Rez has one, I thought I saw another somewhere too.

Here's mine
    Be.
    Do.
    Have.

So there are really three options... the Custom 22 semi-hollow with 57/08's and McCarty switching, the first limited run. The same guitar with walnut top, and what GTRMAV referred to is the Experience 408 semi-hollow that only came in two colors.

I like both pickups, and have a Siggy Ltd with the 408 switching w/toggle (preferred, at least by me, over the slider), and a Custom 22 semi-hollow from the original run with 57/08's.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    So there are really three options...
    More than that depending on how you feel about the tonal impact of the f-hole. PRS made a few semi-hollow CU22's (without F-holes). The 10th Anniversary Artist was also available semi-hollow.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    More than that depending on how you feel about the tonal impact of the f-hole. PRS made a few semi-hollow CU22's (without F-holes). The 10th Anniversary Artist was also available semi-hollow.
    True, but you rarely see either of those pop up on the used market.

I played the walnut one at Markie's, and I have no other comparisons (except the memories of a semi-hollow Artist 2 from years ago). I was shocked at how bright the walnut was. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot brighter than I was expecting. A LOT. I guess I was expecting walnut to sound similar to sapele, but I was totally wrong. It wasn't a bad thing, but I was so surprised that I didn't even think to A/B it against a maple semi-hollow.
    Too many and never enough...

I agree. My walnut sounds much more "modern" when playing through a high-gain amp. Hard to believe these are 57/08's.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by cwhenke View Post
    I played the walnut one at Markie's, and I have no other comparisons (except the memories of a semi-hollow Artist 2 from years ago). I was shocked at how bright the walnut was. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot brighter than I was expecting. A LOT. I guess I was expecting walnut to sound similar to sapele, but I was totally wrong. It wasn't a bad thing, but I was so surprised that I didn't even think to A/B it against a maple semi-hollow.

Thanks. I still want to try one, but it may not be for me. I am not generally a fan of bright guitars. A Maple cap is about as bright as I can take it. I thought Walnut may be a bit darker sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I would love a 10th anniversary semi hollow with trem and WF neck. Anyone have one?

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    I would love a 10th anniversary semi hollow with trem and WF neck. Anyone have one?
    Not any more.
    One Life