Thread: Worth it to refinsh an SE?

Worth it to refinsh an SE?

I love my SE Custom Semi-hollow, has McCarty's in it as of last week and they sound excellent. I've been GASin' big time for an opaque metallic top PRS but the NG fund is pretty low right now. I checked with PTC and they'll do a refinish on my SE which will be significantly cheaper than what I've got in mind for a NG. Just not sure if it's worth the investment and wanted to get some opinions. I was thinking about doing a gold top or maybe another metallic finish on the top like platinum or a frosty. Just looking for some input. Thanks
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

Re: Worth it to refinsh an SE?

Having spent $1050 on upgrades for an SE that cost me $400 new, I can tell you two things:
    1) I will never, ever, get my money back out of it. Not even close.
    2) It was worth it to me.

You used the word "investment" in your description of the guitar. If that's truly the case, refer to comment #1. If not, ask yourself if comment #2 applies.
    One Life

Follow your bliss.

Agreed on the "investment" comment. I always save the stock pickups I usually pull out my SEs and put them back in for resale. Definitely more a question of whether its worth it to me. Right now I'm leaning towards going for it.

The SE guitars are light and feel good to me. I've modded most of mine, but never invested in a refinish. I would love to see what the PTC could do with one. I bet it would be gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzed
    The SE guitars are light and feel good to me. I've modded most of mine, but never invested in a refinish. I would love to see what the PTC could do with one. I bet it would be gorgeous.
    Feel the same way. I'm leaning in that direction.

Not a gold top, but Platinum Metallic, $325 used. That's gotta be cheaper than a refin.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef
    Not a gold top, but Platinum Metallic, $325 used. That's gotta be cheaper than a refin.
    :lol: No doubt! Nice Santana, don't know why the don't do more SEs with metallic finishes. Dig that look.