Thread: Custom 24 vs 408

Custom 24 vs 408

Greetings,

I've had my eye on a 2011-2012 Custom 24 in Eriza Verde as I love the looks as well as the sound, but...

The 408 sounds beautiful-er

I don't require a trem and would prefer a stop tail. Would love to see ONE OF THESE ON A PRS, as I like the idea of fine tuners on a stop bridge. My style leans towards Blues and Jazz.

Nevertheless, The real reason I lean towards the Custom 24 is for the 24 frets. I think I'd use the two additional frets, but not sure if its worth it over the sounds of a 408.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Peace

The 408s are pretty amazing sounding pickups, and the tones available cover an awful lot of bases. The thicker body is also part of it.

The bridges have a pretty major effect on the tone, not sure I'd want to mess with PRS' formula there, but if you like the idea of fine tuners, why not look at the CU24 Floyd? You don't have to use the trem. Just a thought.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

LSchefman,

To trem or not is not a deal breaker...just a fantasy...lol. If it help generate the quality sound of a 408, then I won't mess with it. Ultimately, I'm looking for amazing sound, which is why I'm considering the 408.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else have any insights?

Firstly, are the 2 extra frets really useful to you or you just want it for fun and it's not a deal breaker?

I would go with the 408 if I were you, since you preferred the 408 tone more. You wouldn't want to get the Cu24, go back and tell yourself you should have gotten the 408 instead. HOWEVER, we're talking about PRS here, so the above statement might be wrong. Maybe you secretly want to have both!

They need to make a P24 signature model...then we wouldn't be faced with these difficult choices....
    Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
    Jimi Hendrix

I would go for the 408 if you like that sound the best.

The last two frets are just two half-notes more you are able to reach. How often do you get the benefit of them? Whereas you get the benefit of the tone all the time, no matter where on the neck you play (OK, oversimplification, but I'm sure you understand).

I don't see any reason for that fine-tuning bridge. The stock tuners are seriously great (at least on my Brent Mason sig) :-)

And welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
    They need to make a P24 signature model...then we wouldn't be faced with these difficult choices....
    make that a P22 Trem narrow 408 sig and I'm in!

The Custom 24, to me, is a one trick pony. It's a rock n roll guitar. I think the 408 covers more ground and overall sounds better. But I am a big 22 fret fan also.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife