Thread: Rosewood or Maple Neck?

Hybrid View

Rosewood or Maple Neck?

Checking out the current PRS Artist package options, trying to decide on a rosewood or flamed maple neck. I've played many maple necks, and I've heard mixed problems about solid maple (dead spots, warping, etc) and that two piece (reversed grain) or reinforced multi piece maple necks improve sustain and stability. I've seen many pics of (solid-looking) PRS flamed maple necks and they look amazing. I played a Quatro with a rosewood neck and really liked it. The RW is unfinished (or barely) and I usually don't like that, but the wood is so dense and smooth that I didn't mind. Sounded nice and woody.
    Your thoughts on either wood? Tone/sound characteristics? Would a maple neck sound much different? Is solid maple risky? Is it brighter than RW or the stock Mahogany? (consider each type with an ebony fretboard).
    Thanks!

Maybe you might want to consider a PS P22 with a chambered body (with or without F hole). Mine has a RW neck and ebony fretboard. PRS have made a few.

I have an SAS with a solid maple neck. My opinion is that a maple neck with a piezo would be VERY bright ... jmho.

There is probably a reason PRS uses 5310s in the P22. 5708s would be a little brighter. When you use the piezo alone, it doesn't matter what pups you use. When you blend the piezo and magnetic pups you need to conssider how hot the pups are and the type of sound you are looking for. You also need to consider whether you are going to use one or two amps.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist