Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Ask Lesteban -- Advice For The Toneseeker

  1. #21
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,156
    Dear Lesteban,
    I have been staying with a female that I met after a show for the past three days since my booking agent left a gap in our touring schedule. I am trepidatious about letting her come to tonights show out of a fear that she may ruin any potential that I may have of meeting a prettier girl with a nicer apartment or perhaps a house that I may stay at instead.

    We have already slept together so......Is it safe to shave with the razor I found in her bath tub?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Dear Lesteban,
    I have been staying with a female that I met after a show for the past three days since my booking agent left a gap in our touring schedule. I am trepidatious about letting her come to tonights show out of a fear that she may ruin any potential that I may have of meeting a prettier girl with a nicer apartment or perhaps a house that I may stay at instead.
    That all depends on whether this one's apartment has some decent studio space. A floor plan and pictures might help Lesteban answer the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    We have already slept together so......Is it safe to shave with the razor I found in her bath tub?
    As long as you put a condom on the razor, I think you're good to go.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  3. #23
    Junior Member Chitarrista scarso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    69
    Maybe this could be the sister...?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    640
    Hey Leseban,
    What type of control knobs on my guitar will give the best tone; plastic, wood, plastic that looks like wood, metal (which opens up the follow up, stainless, nickel, chrome or gold finish) or just the pots stem?

  5. #25
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    999
    Dear Lesteban -

    I have been doing some scientific measurements on the difference in sustain when all of my tuner buttons line up perfectly flat, versus all catawampus.

    There seems to be several ms more from each note, although I am having trouble documenting this. Frankly, I have been challenged by playing in the new tunings this arrangement necessitates.

    In addition, I have determined that the non-symetrical headstock design is causing unwanted, unsympathetic vibrations. I plan to remedy this with a hacksaw shortly.

    Any recommendations?
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2014 SE Zach Myers | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

  6. #26
    Just a member JustRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Hey Leseban,
    What type of control knobs on my guitar will give the best tone; plastic, wood, plastic that looks like wood, metal (which opens up the follow up, stainless, nickel, chrome or gold finish) or just the pots stem?
    Exactly! My new SCHBII has mixed hardware, and I'm how changing to all nickel strap buttons may change things, never mind changing to ebony tuner buttons...

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    640
    Hey Leseban,
    Which tone wood makes the best stage material? Do you think I should put that in my concert rider as I'm afraid the wrong kind would ruin my sound when running my Digitach Grunge pedal?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Hey Leseban,
    What type of control knobs on my guitar will give the best tone; plastic, wood, plastic that looks like wood, metal (which opens up the follow up, stainless, nickel, chrome or gold finish) or just the pots stem?
    Wait, your guitar has knobs?

    Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Dear Lesteban -

    I have been doing some scientific measurements on the difference in sustain when all of my tuner buttons line up perfectly flat, versus all catawampus.

    There seems to be several ms more from each note, although I am having trouble documenting this. Frankly, I have been challenged by playing in the new tunings this arrangement necessitates.

    In addition, I have determined that the non-symetrical headstock design is causing unwanted, unsympathetic vibrations. I plan to remedy this with a hacksaw shortly.

    Any recommendations?
    First of all, Lesteban commends you on "catawampus." Spectacular choice of words!

    Lesteban once had a Steinberger guitar without a headstock. This confused Lesteban, who did not know which way on the guitar was "up." This caused some very unusual problems on stage, so Lesteban does not recommend the hacksaw approach.

    However, since PRS now has the option for a Floyd, you could get one, lock the strings into place, and then turn the tuners from catawampus to alignment with the stars.

    Now you just need your horoscope to be cast, and you should be good to go for tonal nirvana.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-31-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Hey Leseban,
    Which tone wood makes the best stage material? Do you think I should put that in my concert rider as I'm afraid the wrong kind would ruin my sound when running my Digitach Grunge pedal?
    My riders all require Brazilian Rosewood stages, both for tone and smell.

    Unfortunately, this rider may be one reason that no one will schedule my concerts...I'm having my agent look into that.

    So I'm going to say that my next choice, spalted maple, should be fine.

    The Digitech will sound much better if you remove the battery and do not power it with anything.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  10. #30
    Junior Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Numinosum
    Posts
    96
    Dumble remarked upon the tonal qualities of rosewood circuit boards (insert "crystal matrix" comment, lol), and Fender used some strange materials for circuitboards, which under some conditions leak voltage (but to me (can) sound amazing - Champs and Princetons and such, Xp!), ; I like the sound of a lot of amps with circuits on boards (but confess to being utterly confounded by a majority of Voxes I have seen, ditto "can sound amazing").

    Would Lesteban comment upon the use of exotic materials in design?

    Do you see the development of the memsistor as a possible step forward in tube amp circuit design? (Actual semi-serious question....)
    Last edited by Felix; 03-31-2014 at 08:58 PM.

  11. #31
    SuperD Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indy, IN
    Posts
    1,274
    Dear Lesteban:

    I'm in a quandary...

    While at another gig at, let's call it, Seedy-Bar-Sinister, the crowd of dozens became less and less enthralled with our performance. Not because we weren't playing some awesome rockin' tunes with flare usually reserved for punk rockers (on NyQuil) or perhaps a jacked-up marmoset, but because they were really drunk. The evening turned for the better when one of the patrons - fresh out of the pokey - decided to attempt to pick a fight with our vocalist. Since that failed, he in turn started a fight with an old guy twice his age, which enraged the old guy's nephew and took the dispute outside, where we were resting during our break. The entertainment value of the ensuing ass-kicking was only enhanced when the nephew's pregnant girlfriend got elbowed by said violent soon-to-be-repeat offender (whom had drawn brass knuckles by this time), hastening his personal righteous pummeling. My question is this: were we wrong to turn the parking lot into a photoshoot for our upcoming album, "Swizzle Sticks 'n Moonshine"? Would it be appropriate to include the local police department in the credits?

    Signed,
    Bathed in Blue Light.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Would Lesteban comment upon the use of exotic materials in design?
    Certainly! Lesteban appreciates the tasteful use of Belgian Lace on his puffy shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do you see the development of the memsistor as a possible step forward in tube amp circuit design? (Actual semi-serious question....)
    Lesteban denies knowledge of anyone's developing or underage sistor. That is Lesteban's story, and he is sticking to it.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Since that failed, he in turn started a fight with an old guy twice his age
    Lesteban is old enough to remember the Big Bang. He found the above statement so terrifying that he had to put down the bong and pop a nitro to reduce his angina.

    Between the effect of his "medication" and his actual medication, he is unable to consider the rest of the question.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    640
    Hey Lestaban,
    I came across this on another thread...
    It's funny, many rock guitar players worry obsessively over their tone on the bottom end, and fuss over it, get it huge, and then go into the studio only to discover that the engineer has to scoop all that out with EQ to make room for bass and kick drum in the mix, or a track will sound like mud. One reason the SM57 is so popular with engineers on guitar is that mic does a lot of the bass de-emphasis by itself.
    Sounds like the guy may be a rookie, but he does make a good point. The questions are since it's all about my tone in the studio why don't engineers just EQ the bass and kick to make room for me? Are all engineers are out of work bass players just jealous that rock guitar players get hotter girls with our sexy bottom ends?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Sounds like the guy may be a rookie, but he does make a good point. The questions are since it's all about my tone in the studio why don't engineers just EQ the bass and kick to make room for me? Are all engineers are out of work bass players just jealous that rock guitar players get hotter girls with our sexy bottom ends?
    Heck, that guy is a complete maroon.

    But he has a point.

    I wouldn't say that all engineers are out of work bass players -- that maroon LSchefman's son engineered the most recent 30 Seconds to Mars record, and then toured with them playing guitar last year. He's the curly haired guy half hidden by a microphone in this shot taken in some radio station in Finland (and I would like to say that I, Lesteban, have never been to Finland or half the places this young guy has been, which really pisses Lesteban off! And ooh, that's an interesting Neumann that Leto is singing into...):



    But the fact is that all recording engineers have moon tans, need to get out more, and eventually go insane or become mastering engineers. Often both.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    640
    Hmmm, maybe we should be sending our questions to that young man and not Lestaban.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Hmmm, maybe we should be sending our questions to that young man and not Lestaban.
    Ha! I'll have you know that young man sends his questions to Lesteban!
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    640
    Hey Lestaban,
    I'm about to head out to a gig but I lost the cover for the control cavity on my guitar. My question is will my tone leak out without that cover?

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Hey Lestaban,
    I'm about to head out to a gig but I lost the cover for the control cavity on my guitar. My question is will my tone leak out without that cover?
    Yes, it will. If it was only the cover for the tremolo, you'd be fine. But the control cavity? Why that is the epicenter of the entire operation!

    If you can't find a control cavity cover in time, Lesteban recommends sticking some cardboard over that cavity with duct tape. And whatever you do, don't look inside that cavity.

    And never mind asking why. Just don't look in there if you value your sanity. There are reasons they cover that thing up!
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-03-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

  20. #40
    Junior Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Numinosum
    Posts
    96
    What took the cavity's place?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •