Thread: good headphones for practice?

good headphones for practice?

I'm looking for a set of headphones so I can practice without bothering anyone else in the house (I prefer playing at night, can't exactly crank it when the kids are sleeping). I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on a good set under $100.

Grado SR-60s. They're open back so not silent, if that's what you need, so don't use them by a mic if recording, but I think the design is less fatiguing and doesn't cut off all outside sound. Other than that they're just great sounding headphones for a reasonable price.

If you'd rather have closed backs Sennheiser has some nice models. There's also a very inexpensive HD 201 that's reportedly good, but I haven't tried it.

If you want something smaller, the Koss Porta-Pros are nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp0701 View Post
    Grado SR-60s. They're open back so not silent, if that's what you need, so don't use them by a mic if recording, but I think the design is less fatiguing and doesn't cut off all outside sound. Other than that they're just great sounding headphones for a reasonable price.

GRADO FTW!

That Grado model is the best headphone value on the planet.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Thanks, ill check them out :-)

I've got Grado SR-325i's. They are awesome. BUT…. they do bleed sound quite a bit. I've got a pair of AKG HD272's that are almost as good and keep the sound in a little better.

Not a Sennheiser fan.

I like my Sony V-6 for quality, but I bought a set of IR headsets from Amazon and a Korg Pandora IV (?) from E-Bay that has a IR transmitter.
    Maybe a bit geeky, but not having another cord is nice. Usually there's too many cords already.

For pure sound quality, I like the Grado, but they look fragile to me.