Thread: PRS Neck sizes

PRS Neck sizes

Hi All,

I don't have that much experience with PRS guitars as i can only find a few in my area. There are several different neck types that don't have descriptors that I'm familiar with. I understand the basic fender necks such as "c", "v", "u". And I've played a Gibson Les Paul. I kinda want a Les Paul neck on my PRS.

Any info is much appreciated!

Gibson has several neck sizes, mostly "50s" and "60s slim Taper". 50s neck would be like a Wide/Fat or Pattern carve on a PRS. 60s Slim Taper is more like a Wide/Thin or Pattern Thin carve on a PRS. So, it depends on which Les Paul you played. There are... what, 150 different versions of the Les Paul on Gibson's website? Regular or Pattern Regular are neck carves that are more Fender-ish because of the slightly thinner nut width, maybe like a Fender C.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    So, it depends on which Les Paul you played.
    I played a Les Paul Standard 2013

Check out this link below if you want to compare sizes of PRS with other brands
    http://www.rocketmusiconline.com/necks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dakari View Post
    Hi All,

I don't have that much experience with PRS guitars as i can only find a few in my area. There are several different neck types that don't have descriptors that I'm familiar with. I understand the basic fender necks such as "c", "v", "u". And I've played a Gibson Les Paul. I kinda want a Les Paul neck on my PRS.

Any info is much appreciated!
    Of the PRS necks you've played so far, which comes closest to what you want?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Of the PRS necks you've played so far, which comes closest to what you want?
    I played a SE custom 24 and a 25th anniversary edition w/ a 5 selector rotary knob. I don't know what model that specific one was. But they both felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakari View Post
    I played a SE custom 24 and a 25th anniversary edition w/ a 5 selector rotary knob. I don't know what model that specific one was. But they both felt good.
    You should be able to find one to your liking in the PRS lineup, then. The SE Custom 24 has a Wide-Thin, very similar to a Pattern Thin.

The 25th Anniversary models with a 5-way rotary would include both the Custom 24 and Custom 22, which often have different neck specs.

Most CU24s from that period will be Wide-Thin, and most CU22s will be Wide-Fat, but these specs can vary per individual guitar as I think different options may have been offered. It would certainly be a good idea to travel (if necessary) to try out a few of the PRS necks before plunking down the big dollars for a Private Stock.

The good news, however, is that if you do order a Private Stock, you have the option to go to the factory to pick out the wood, etc., and could probably try a few different neck shapes just to make sure before making your final selection.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    Check out this link below if you want to compare sizes of PRS with other brands
    http://www.rocketmusiconline.com/necks.html
    Great! thanks for the website