Thread: NAD: SE30 Sad

Thumbs up NAD: SE30 Sad

Just brought home a new, clearance SE30. After about 30mins playing it at home, I noticed a fairly loud hum. I checked the usual and it hums whether there is a guitar plugged in or not. The other issue is that the foot switch is not activating the reverb. Anyone else have these issues? Maybe I'm overlooking something simple. BTW the clean channel is just downright awesome. Still trying to dial in the lead.

Phil

I'd call PRS about the hum. The amps are usually quiet. It's under warranty.

It may just be a tube or something simple like that, but it pays to talk with someone at PRS about it.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I'd call PRS about the hum. The amps are usually quiet. It's under warranty.

It may just be a tube or something simple like that, but it pays to talk with someone at PRS about it.
    I thought the same thing. It's very off putting on a new amp. I totally don't understand the reverb not working.

Phil

Phil - where are you noticing the hum? The lead channel can be a bit noisy with a lot of gain and high master volume.

Are you using a stereo cable for the footswitch?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Phil - where are you noticing the hum? The lead channel can be a bit noisy with a lot of gain and high master volume.

Are you using a stereo cable for the footswitch?
    Andy Both channels hum unfortunately. I didn't think of a stereo cable. It's whatever it came with. I'll check it when I get home. I'll assume it should have double "rings".

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tullfan13 View Post
    Andy Both channels hum unfortunately. I didn't think of a stereo cable. It's whatever it came with. I'll check it when I get home. I'll assume it should have double "rings".

Phil
    Both channels humming is strange. Try swapping out the preamp tubes in the very back first.

And yeah, double rings on the cable!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Phil, if you haven't already experienced PRS' stellar service, you will discover that they will really take care of you without hassle. They're great about customer service.

Not to worry - and if you got a good deal on the amp, that's a nice bonus!

I'm gonna guess it's a preamp tube, but obviously I have no idea whatsoever.

So I go back to the store from which I bought it. The 1st issue about the foot switch not activating the reverb was solved by the "Salesman" saying "That's because I didn't give you the TR cable." He knew!! Kinda ticked me off. As for the hum...he wanted to send it back to PRS...but I have to pay shipping. WTF this is a brand new unit. Needles to say, I didn't want this guy to get commission after knowingly giving me the wrong cable and being so matter of fact about it, and the fact that they wouldn't look at the hum problem, I got a refund. What I did come away with is PRS makes a fine sounding amp that I wouldn't hesitate to to buy in the future.

Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar
    So I go back to the store from which I bought it. The 1st issue about the foot switch not activating the reverb was solved by the "Salesman" saying "That's because I didn't give you the TR cable." He knew!! Kinda ticked me off. As for the hum...he wanted to send it back to PRS...but I have to pay shipping. WTF this is a brand new unit. Needles to say, I didn't want this guy to get commission after knowingly giving me the wrong cable and being so matter of fact about it, and the fact that they wouldn't look at the hum problem, I got a refund. What I did come away with is PRS makes a fine sounding amp that I wouldn't hesitate to to buy in the future.
    If it was GC, they have a 30 satasfaction guarantee. Return it for 100% refund and buy another PRS amp somewhere else.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Not GC. It rimes with Lamb Hash, and I did just that.

GC can be so clueless.

There are some very knowledgeable guys at the store not far from me, however they mainly work in pro audio, not guitars. The manager of their guitar department is very good, however, knows his stuff.

I think they just have too many part-timers and too much turnover in their sales staffs.

This was a case of the dealer dropping the ball. And in the select few times I was in Sam Ash, not a single person gave us the time of day nor understood their products. If the deal was good enough, I would have solved the problem on my own. Especially if the discount covered the cost of shipping to PRS.

Sorry to hear of the problem.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

As for the hum...he wanted to send it back to PRS...but I have to pay shipping. WTF this is a brand new unit.
    This absolutely boggles my mind. Asking you to pay the shipping is one of the most unacceptable things they possibly could have done. A new (never sold) product is delivered to the customer for the agreed selling price in working order, period.

The correct response should have been, "We'll send it back to PRS right away. If we can't get it fixed, you'll get a full refund."

I'm glad you got your money back.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

The deal was 399 plus tax. Very good but the salesman's attitude was piss-poor. I'm sure if its meant to be, another will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    This is why I am so glad I have a PRS mom & pop type shop within 13 miles or so of my home, and only a few miles from work.
    Knowledgeable staff and honest.
    Man... that almost sounds dangerous!!! At least for the 'ol billfold!

Tullfan, bummer about the amp, though I have one and love it, I think you made the right choice returning it. Way to teach that GC slob that he needs to take care of customers if he wants to make the sale (or keep it). That's the same kind of "service" I've experienced with their pro coverage plan, what a joke.
    Anyways, I think there are some other amp brands putting out good stuff at very attractive prices, so you've got options for sure. I don't have much of a problem ignoring other brands, but amps... I could tinker all day on different brands of amps!