Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up close and personal

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Don't give me your cell phone number because I will text you nonstop about guitar stuff.
    Yes he will.......gotta love him!
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

I'm 50. From Charlotte NC & living in Nashville via 20+ years on the road. Now in IT at a private boys school. Divorced with an amazing little girl named Kate. I've been playing gtr for 35 years. I play out a bit now but fill some time acting "the fool" in front of a video camera. Oh, I also got my 1st birdie today playing golf....or something like golf......
    I use very manly, Jizzy Jeff approved 11 gauge strings and I also like long walks on the beach!
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Quote Originally Posted by crgtr View Post
    Yes he will.......gotta love him!
    <3 you too buddy!

So who should I sext tonight?! Er I mean text!
    Plank Owner

My name is Steve, I live in Washington Iowa and I started messing with guitar about 1978 or so. My first band was 1981, I was still in high school and our first gig was in a bar 1982. We had to get special permission to play in the bar and I remember being so nervous. After high school I joined a local band and kept the machine a goin. Seven years later I realized the crap job I had was turning me into a robot servant so I told them to kiss my ass and joined a road band full time. I did that for about 2 years and got to see a lot of the country I live in and met a lot of cool people. Our band played in the mid west, west coast and Alaska before the band fell apart. The other guitar player fell in love with a stripper in alaska which started the demise of the band. We went home for a break and never called each other back. Wierd. That has produced some fantastic stories that I will carry with me forever.

I have been in bands ever since and have now joined my 11th band. Our first official rehearsal was saturday afternoon and I'm stoked. Can't wait to gig with this group!

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    From Southern IL, but live in O'Fallon, MO. I'm a Taurus and want to be a cosmonaut. Don't give me your cell phone number because I will text you nonstop about guitar stuff.
    319-461-0575

Almost 57, next month.
    Started playing with a cheap Teisco and small tube amp that only had a volume control.
    Got that setup for Christmas late 60s when I Was in grade school.
    Progressed to a Univox Les Paul copy early 70s, then got a '73 Les Paul Deluxe for my 16th birthday the same year.

Played in a few bands for schools, parties, etc.
    Quit playing all together when I got married early 80s, and sold the LP when second child was born.
    Had not touched a guitar in around 30 years until I got the itch spring of 2012, and picked up a new '61 Reissue Gibson SG.
    It played so much better than that '73 LP too.
    Got GAS within a few months after I found out about PRS, and got a new SE Santana.
    It went downhill from there, and soon I started to get quite a few SEs and finally a 2013 408 MT, and now the Zach Myers.
    I must also say that any of my SEs also play better than that old Les Paul and my SG.

I like others have too many guitars and amps both big and small, but it sure is nice to have a wide variety.
    And I am not done yet, I want to pick up a bass possibly before the year is out.

Grew up using Fender medium picks, but when I got back into guitars again the pick that did it for me was the green .88 mm Dunlop Tortex ones.
    Now I found something even better from seeing it in a pick thread here, the Dava 1303 Rock Control Delrin.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dava-1303-Delr.../dp/B0002GOJZO

I also am into playing classic rock and trying out new stuff.
    Trying to learn some AC/DC songs, and I can play quite well Creams White Room and Judas Priests Living After Midnight.

This is my story and I am sticking to it.

PS, one more edit
    Forgot to mention I have always used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies in 9 - 42, and do to this day too but the Cobalt version.
    I have tired other gauges in EB, but I like the 9 - 42 the best, and run them on all of my guitars regardless of scale length.

52 from cleveland. the city of the recessed, depressed, stressed, opressed, heavily dressed, and very seldom blessed. been playing for about 30 yrs with a 10yr gap in there, (called a 1st marriag) but i've seen kids in guitar center who can play circles around me. it's always been a struggle, but my main love, so we just keep pluggin' along. use dunlop copper or black ice picks, ghs 9 1/2 strings, prs guitars, and marshall jtm 60 heads and dr.z heads, and marshall 1965 4x10's cabs.

My name is Joe, I'm 43, on my 2nd and last marriage, 2 kids both grown and mostly gone. Born and raised in southern Maryland. Started playing in the early 80's but got serious about it after hearing Blizzard of Oz. I played in bands in the late 80's and early 90's, mostly metal and hard rock. My first decent rig was a Charvel model 3 running into a Randall stack. I don't do the band thing anymore, too much drama, mostly with lead singers. Being a Maryland native I'd always wanted a PRS, but somehow never pulled the trigger on one. I'd always end up with a Jackson USA or a Charvel San Dimas. I guess I felt my skill level and musical tastes didn't lend themselves to a PRS. My wife and I were in a local guitar shop picking up strings (Elixer 9's) and as I always do, we were walking the sales floor and I was boring her with a running dialogue on what was good/bad about each guitar. When we hit the PRS section I was shocked to see my all time dream guitar hanging there, a CU24 quilted 10-top faded blue burst! Holy cow I think I must have had a mild stroke because my wife went back and bought that guitar and gave it to me for X-mas. She got quite a lot of pleasure out of it because when it wasn't there the next time we visited I was so sad. Bringing this to a close, now I'm a gear junkie, I have enough amps to power three bands, more guitars than I can count and I can justify it all because my guitar tone and talent has matured past the 80's Spinal Tap mentality. Back then a Jackson with EMGs thru a heavy amp was all you needed ( a mop head of hair didn't hurt ) now I'm just as likely to plug a PRS or strat directly into my Hughes and Kettner amps clean channel and just lose myself. I still love to rock tho!
    2013 HB II Artist, '11 SC 58 Artist, '14 Custom 24 10Top Floyd, '12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, '09 Tremonti SE, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Suhr, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

I was born in Washington, DC in 1966, but grew up in suburban Maryland. At various times I lived in DC, Baltimore, Ellicott City, Columbia, and of course College Park since I attended the University of Maryland. I moved to Los Angeles in 1996 for a girl and have built my life here. Currently living in coastal San Pedro, but my wife and I are in the early stages of planning a move to San Clemente where I suspect we'll grow roots.

I started playing guitar when I was 11 years old, which means, WOW... it's been 36 years since I got my first guitar. What sparked my interest in playing guitar was the same thing I suspect most of you experience: my idols were the guys in rock bands and I wanted to be able to do what they did, at least on a much humbler level. First and foremost for me was Jimmy Page, but some of the other guys that really made me want to play initially were Alex Lifeson, Rossington/Collins/Gaines, Whitford/Perry and Tony Iommi. Those were the bands I was into at 11, and within the next few years I started listening to Downing/Tipton and Steve Howe among many others. Played in bands fairly steadily for roughly a decade starting in about 1982, but since then have played mostly for my own pleasure and mental well-being, with the occasional jam session and gig thrown in here and there.