Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Um...Well...Never Mind!

Um...Well...Never Mind!

Today I had some quality, not-in-the-heat-of-a-session, time with the Artist V and the HXDA.

The other day I reported that the 408 had become my #1. Eh, not so fast, Captain Hasty Judgments!

I was mainly using the DG30 for the project I was working on. With the HXDA, I think I might still prefer the more traditional humbucking tones of the Artist V.

The bottom line? It's pointless for me to sit around comparing guitars, and anointing one or the other as a #1, though I do think the tendency to compare things is part of our DNA. Most people tend to naturally do it, and no doubt that's one thing that has propelled mankind on its journey to constantly improve our lives. Probably the first pre-human to turn a rock into a tool kept wondering if there was a better rock!

Anyway, re: my earlier comparison of the 408 and A-V...yeah, never mind.

Each is different from the other, both are insanely great.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Consider them a tie for First Place!
    PRS 2002 McCarty Hollowbody I
    PRS 2008 Custom 24 - 10 Top - Rosewood Neck
    PRS 2008 McCarty Korina One-Off - Stripped 58
    PRS 2013 DC3 - PRS 2014 DGT - PRS 2008 McCarty Korina BRF
    Amps: Zinky Blue Velvet 25/Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25

My favorite is always the one that I haven't played for 3 months and am rediscovering all over again . True of guitars and amps...

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    My favorite is always the one that I haven't played for 3 months and am rediscovering all over again . True of guitars and amps...
    My favorites are always the ones I don't have. (G.A.S., summed up.)

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    My favorites are always the ones I don't have. (G.A.S., summed up.)
    Mine have often been the ones I sold.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The bottom line? It's pointless for me to sit around comparing guitars, and anointing one or the other as a #1
    What is you, some kinda Unamerican? There's got to be a winner, there's just got to be!

Quote Originally Posted by vox801 View Post
    Consider them a tie for First Place!
    A tie??? I've heard people say "a tie is like kissing your sister", but I don't know if I believe that - I don't even know your sister!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Different guitars bring out different things in ones playing I believe !!!!!
    My 408 is different from my MEII /CU22/SCT - I don't want them to sound the same they all sound great and sometimes there is magic
    I have different pedals set up for different guitars BUT then I try something different and it just cool.
    My #1 changes like the wind in Chicago
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII, CU24
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    What is you, some kinda Unamerican? There's got to be a winner, there's just got to be!
    Yeah! If you ain't first, you're last!

It's all perspective. A Russian and an American ran a foot race during the Cold War. The American barely edged a win in a photo finish.

American newspapers: "American runner edges Russian in 2man race"

Pravda: "Epic race. Russia second, America next to last"
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

I treat them like my children...each one has unique potential and I love them for what they are, or aren't. Maybe that's why I never sell one.
    Last edited by Boogie; 04-06-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Love this thread!!! Says it all about having multiple guitars and amps!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    I treat them like my children...each one has unique potential and I love them what they are, or aren't. Maybe that's why I never sell one.
    If I never sold them I'd have one heckuva pile o' PRSes! And that would mean a lot of string changes. Which would mean I wouldn't have time for my work. I would go broke. My marriage would dissolve, and I'd have to sell the guitars to pay legal fees and give my wife a bunch of money. And then I'd be in the gutter drinking Woolite with no guitars at all.

So it's a good thing I sell the guitars and buy new ones from time to time. Plus it's good for PRS.

No ties...steel cage death match!
    Plank Owner

If I never sold them I'd have one heckuva pile o' PRSes! And that would mean a lot of string changes. Which would mean I wouldn't have time for my work. I would go broke. My marriage would dissolve, and I'd have to sell the guitars to pay legal fees and give my wife a bunch of money. And then I'd be in the gutter drinking Woolite with no guitars at all.
    But what's the downside?
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    But what's the downside?
    No guitars would be the downside.

The rest, no problem.

Eh, not so fast, Captain Hasty Judgments.
    I've wasted way too much time trying to have a "#1."

With over 50 guitars in the house (6-string electrics number in the low 40s) the whole concept of a "favorite" or a "number one" is kinda ridiculous. What would be the point? My favorite is whatever guitar I'm playing at the moment.

Unless of course it isn't, in which case, I just pick up another one.

The downside is: deciding which guitars to take to a gig is a major stress-fest.

Oh, Les, relative to your thoughts on the 408: Willcutt has a purple-blue quilted PS Paul's Guitar which has been there for a few months now. I went in and played it one day just to see what I thought since I hadn't ever spent much time with the 408 or Paul's (Brent Mason) pickups. When I first played the guitar, unplugged (which I always do before plugging it in) my jaw kinda went slack. It was by far the most resonant, sustainy, beautiful-sounding (unplugged) solidbody PRS I'd ever picked up.

Uh-oh.

I'd brought along the first-run Collection Electric just as a reality check. I'm glad I did. When I plugged the two guitars in, I found that, for me, those narrow-field pickups just didn't give me what I want to hear.

Live and learn. Save a few bucks. It's all good!
    Last edited by kingsleyd; 04-06-2014 at 08:39 PM.

I recently discovered my favorite bridge pickup tone is my Custom 22 with DGT pickups, my favorite neck pickup tone is my Mira with stock pickups (covers added) and my favorite middle position tone is my SE Santana with the stock neck pickup and an Anderson H2+ bridge pickup. If I could combine all those tones into one guitar, that would be optimal, but until then, I will continue to have a use for three guitars.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    With over 50 guitars in the house (6-string electrics number in the low 40s)
    That's easily 45 guitars too many for me to deal with. I'd never get anything done in the studio!

I got paralysis by analysis when I had as few as 5 electric guitars. And forget about acoustics. I've never found a need for more than one. The most guitars I ever had at once was 6 or 7, and that was too confusing for me.

Plus the string changes, the care factor...I could never deal with it. I admire your strength of character just for being able to decide on a place to put all those guitars!

You're right that it makes no sense to rank guitars in order of preference. I usually have a "go-to" that I reach for first when I'm about to cut a track. So I call that my #1. It's an artificial thing.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post

This!!!!
    -Bob

That's easily 45 guitars too many for me to deal with. I'd never get anything done in the studio!

I got paralysis by analysis when I had as few as 5 electric guitars. And forget about acoustics. I've never found a need for more than one. The most guitars I ever had at once was 6 or 7, and that was too confusing for me.
    Yeah but you're just an accidental guitar player.

I freak out when my ear tells me it's time to play an ash-body maple-neck Stratocaster and I don't have one in the house. And my ear likes LOTS of different guitar sounds.

Plus the string changes, the care factor...I could never deal with it.
    That factor is a bit overrated. The string changes are more a function of how much you play overall. Since I spread my playing time across that many guitars, I don't have to change strings on any one guitar very often. The one extra bit of work is keeping a spreadsheet so I know when I did that last with any particular guitar. Or changed tubes on any particular amp. (did I mention I have 23 amplifiers?)

Plus, I kinda enjoy the maintenance routine.

I admire your strength of character just for being able to decide on a place to put all those guitars!
    Ask my wife about when we first bought a house together and I had to decide which guitars and amps were going to live there (in one state) and which guitars and amps were going to stay at my other place (in another state). I did decide (after about a zillion lists) but for a few years I carried a guitar on almost every plane trip each way.

You're right that it makes no sense to rank guitars in order of preference. I usually have a "go-to" that I reach for first when I'm about to cut a track. So I call that my #1. It's an artificial thing.
    No, that's not artificial. That's the reality. It's the same with me. There are certain guitars I usually reach for first in any given situation. In fact, there's one (it's even a PRS!) that I usually reach for first overall these days. But that invariably changes over time.

As you know, I'm more of a guitar player. Of the "name" guitar players I respect and admire, the majority seem to do what they do with one guitar, or maybe a few guitars that are all essentially similar. Even the ones who are known for playing a bunch of different guitars (Steve Howe & Steve Kimock come to mind) tend to have one guitar that is "home base." I keep thinking I should have that. It drives me a little bit crazy that I really don't.

But then I remember I only have one record out (which is primarily acoustic, and which primarily features ONE guitar!), and aside from about a dozen gigs with my trio back in 09-10, I haven't spent much time onstage playing my own music. So why should I expect to have a "home base" guitar or a readily identifiable way of playing?