Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry..got to laugh about the co$t of 57/08 pickups

Sorry..got to laugh about the co$t of 57/08 pickups

..its getting ridiculous how much the covered 57/08 & 59/09 pickups for sale..I guess people are yanking them out of guitars like teeth !! and buying
    a new ax lol..or nice down payments ona new car ...

I think what's ridiculous is that the 57/08's aren't for general sale.

..LJD..I agree..remember when cokeacola took away coke classic & people were jumping off buildings ? its actually great marketing lol.. if they offer these covered again
    gonna be a lot of angry ears ...especially when you can buy the whole guitar for that price !

It is a little ridiculous I guess... but then again, I got a set, and I've never regretted the price I paid! Total ear nirvana.

But I will say, pulling pickups is better than pulling teeth... with pickups, you (hopefully) have something even better to replace them with!!!

-I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

..Im worried about people engraving these things themselves and slappin them for sale..I think that's why paul is thinking 408

Something is only worth what people are willing to spend...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Paul could just make more covered 59/09's and offer them for sale. What sort of prices are you seeing these days? There are a lot of Fenders and Gibsons with substandard pickups that need replacing. Paul should see opportunity in this chaos.
    PRS SC-58 Artist, PRS Paul's Dirty 100 #33, Gibson ES-333 w/PRS 59/09's, Corsa LCPG #20, Daphne Blue Wenge/Ebony/Titanium Telecaster and a Kemper.

The most silly thing is that if I were to get a pair of 59/09 to go into a SE, the cost of buying them both would be roughly the same as what I paid for my CU24 !
    PRS Custom-24 10-Top Black Gold, Stripped 58 Blue Multi Foil
    Taylor T5-S Red Edgeburst, GS Mini Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    I think what's ridiculous is that the 57/08's aren't for general sale.
    Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It's the company's prerogative to sell whatever it wants, and to make decisions based upon marketing strategy. Is it ridiculous that you can't get Celtic knots on anything other than a collection guitar? No, because PRS wants to sell collection guitars. I'm guessing the same marketing principle applies to 57/08s.
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Paul could just make more covered 59/09's and offer them for sale. What sort of prices are you seeing these days? There are a lot of Fenders and Gibsons with substandard pickups that need replacing. Paul should see opportunity in this chaos.
    ..I agree the hysteria is amplified because of les paul & prs owners ..its all good..don't get me wrong I spent enough on guitars to buy a double wide trailer with a van down by the river !

well, i paid $199 for a used nickel 57/08 bridge pup without ANY hesitation, and dont regret it at all. great sounding pup. is it expensive, yes, but look at fralin, lollar, and some of the other boutique pup builders. their pickups are that much or more. nobody's putting a gun to anybody's head and making them buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Something is only worth what people are willing to spend...
    Wait!? This forum is still free, right? Should I be sending a check to a moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It's the company's prerogative to sell whatever it wants, and to make decisions based upon marketing strategy. Is it ridiculous that you can't get Celtic knots on anything other than a collection guitar? No, because PRS wants to sell collection guitars. I'm guessing the same marketing principle applies to 57/08s.
    The company's prerogative is irrelevant. I personally think many of the changes made to the product lineup in 2011 were poor. I don't really care if it's PRS's prerogative or not; that's got nothing to do with whether I like those changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    The company's prerogative is irrelevant.
    Okie dokie...

FWIW - I remember PRSh speaking at a GC/PRS roadshow event in Dallas with David Grissom. He told the crowd that the only way to get DGT pickups is to buy a DGT. The same seems to be true of 57/08's. If you want them, you either pay what the used market is asking, or you buy a 57/08 equipped PRS.

Whether or not you agree with PRS's changes, doesn't really change their right to operate as they see fit...

He clearly stated it is PRS prerogative to sell and make decisions based upon their strategy....he never said he condoned the strategy nor did he state that you aren't allowed to like the changes...

his response had to do with PRS strategy of offering 57/08's the way they do...Over the last few years I have outfitted quite a number of PRS with 57/08's, 59/09's, and 53/10's through the PTC...if I didn't want them...I wouldn't have bought them...some people balk...hell I balk sometimes at doing it...its the way it goes.

The company has made it very clear they are about selling guitars and amps first...that is their strategy..pickups are secondary...none of us have to like it...PRS has to deal with the consequences of the business decisions they make...like all companies they will make good ones and bad ones.

For instance I like their old birds the best...I wish they had left the damn birds alone!!!!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bob View Post
    ...none of us have to like it...PRS has to deal with the consequences of the business decisions they make...like all companies they will make good ones and bad ones.
    Sh*tter's full

I've got a HBII being delivered wed with 57/08s in it. It will be my first time hearing these pickups. I'm very excited to say the least! What do these pickups sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ur2funky View Post
    I've got a HBII being delivered wed with 57/08s in it. It will be my first time hearing these pickups. I'm very excited to say the least! What do these pickups sell for?
    One million dollars.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I picked up 2 sets of 57/08's used. They were priced about where other boutique pups are priced. They are worth what I paid. Great pickups. If you think the price is rediculous, don't buy them.

As for PRS making them available for sale, could it be that the limited supply of wire keeps PRS from making them too availble? I really don't know the answer, but I don't think the wire is in umlimited supply.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    The company's prerogative is irrelevant. I personally think many of the changes made to the product lineup in 2011 were poor. I don't really care if it's PRS's prerogative or not; that's got nothing to do with whether I like those changes.
    There is a place where the buyer and the manufacturer intersect, and when they do, there's a sale. When they don't, the buyer looks elsewhere.

PRS is selling products at a good clip, so they are intersecting with a lot of buyers.

If you don't like what's happening, you get to keep your wallet in your own pocket, or you find the need to look elsewhere. But in either case, both you and PRS will be fine.

Someone's always going to dislike every single business decision a company makes. There's no unanimity among customers. Their business decisions are certainly relevant to their operation.

Just not to you. I'll bet they're OK with that.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-07-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...