Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry..got to laugh about the co$t of 57/08 pickups

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Whether or not you agree with PRS's changes, doesn't really change their right to operate as they see fit...
    I'm sorry, but yes, this is completely irrelevant. This is one of my pet peeves: nobody is arguing about PRS's right to operate as it sees fit, so why even bring it up? Why, when someone has a minor complaint or request about a product, is there always some knee-jerk assertion of the company's "rights?" You are correct that the choice is clear for those whose needs/desires are not being catered to -- that's why I haven't shelled out for a new PRS since 2010. It just doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Potential customer: "PRS should sell these pickups."
    PRS Fan: "PRS has every right not to sell you those pickups!"

This response may be true but it isn't a factor in whether the company should sell them. It explains nothing and doesn't address the OP's frustration. Do you understand how that can be, shall we say, off-putting? It doesn't negate the fact that there is a significant demand for the 57/08 pickups that PRS is either failing or refusing to meet.
    Last edited by Sage; 04-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage;139324.[COLOR=#333333
    I'm sorry, but yes, this is completely irrelevant. This is one of my pet peeves: [/COLOR]nobody is arguing about PRS's right to operate as it sees fit, so why even bring it up? Why, when someone has a minor complaint or request about a product, is there always some knee-jerk assertion of the company's "rights?"
    Relevance simply means there is a relationship between two things. Since there is a relationship between PRS' business decision (that it has the right to make), and the availability of the pickups, PRS' rights and reasons to make such decisions are entirely relevant.

Of course making what they think is a good business decision makes a difference as to whether the company should sell them! That's the point! The company should NOT sell them if that would be bad for business!

Whether it pisses you off, of course, is entirely a separate matter. How their decision affects you may or may not be relevant to the question of whether it was a good decision, since you're a potential customer.

It's also a little too easy to engage in an ad hominem attack of those who disagree with you, and call them fanboys. Whether those who don't take your position are fanboys or not, how does that somehow make you right, and them wrong? A fanboy or a hater can be just as right about something as anyone else. (not calling you a hater, just saying a hater can be right about something) Whether someone is a fanboy or not is what is actually irrelevant to this discussion because it doesn't prove a thing.

There's no need for that, and frankly, it's kind of insulting to us fanboys.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

one million? is that for a pair, or just one?

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Well if they are that hard to find, then I guess I'm never selling the guitar I have which has them installed in it from the factory.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

I really don't get all the hullabaloo. There are dozens of other high-quality, vintage-voiced humbuckers out there.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I really don't get all the hullabaloo. There are dozens of other high-quality, vintage-voiced humbuckers out there.
    _GASP_
    Weapons Acquired: 2005-20th Anniversary Custom 22 2006​-Custom 22 2006-McCarty 2008-Chris Henderson 2009-Ted McCarty SC 245 Soapbar 2010-Tremonti 2010-25th Anniversary Modern Eagle III 2010-Modern Eagle Quatro 2011-PRS Experience Custom 24 2011-SC-58 2011-McCarty 58 2011-Angelus Custom 2011-85 Throwback 2012-DGT 2012-Custom 24 (Hand Signed Headstock Logo) 2012 Private Stock #4029 2013-Paul's Guitar AMP-PRS CAD Blistertone 50

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Something is only worth what people are willing to spend...
    Hey, stop that. You're making entirely too much sense.

Be.
    Do.
    Have.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    that are far better than the 57/08s in tone, components and appearance. price is a non-starter as they don't sound like PAFs to me,

I love the sound of my Hollowbody II with its 57/08 TMs; the pickups were a large part of why I bought the guitar. In a certain sense, I was paying for exclusivity, and the pups not being available separately is a part of that. My HBII sounds quite sweet and warm and there is a place for that sound in my sonic palette. I would love to have a set 53/10s (which from what I can tell are warmer and sweeter); since they are almost non-existent on the secondhand market (and TBH I wouldn't recognize the difference between one PRS humbucker and another if the markings matched, and it seems as though it would be easy to mismark a plain set), I am more likely to buy a premium machine which includes them. I am sure that PRS plays on this angle as a salable quality - I and others like me are more likely to buy a higher-priced model to acquire a system which includes those pups (meaning the guitar itself seen as a whole, not incidentally a quite adequate and good-looking instrument). PRS could sell sets of 57/08 and 53/10 pickups until... well, I am unclear on this but... as long as the machine/operator/available copper is capable of making the wire with those tonal characteristics when wound into a pickup, AFAICT. -However, they would be reducing the market for their own guitars (IMHO) and simultaneously eroding the pups' (perceived) mojo by making them more common.

When I bought my CE-22 I would have liked a guitar with 57/08 pickups but could not afford the price tag (I am very happy with my CE-22, though!). I might have been tempted to put a set of them in an older guitar I have, and dispense with buying the CE-22 altogether... and then, most likely, I would have perceived no reason to get any PRS guitar - certainly I would have reduced my perceived use for a 57/08-equipped machine and that means a HBII wouldn't have tempted me nearly as much... then PRS would have "lost" (in theory) over $6K, just from giving me the pickups I wanted -so I could slap them into whatever guitar I wished, be it a fine instrument or utter beater- why would PRS do that? PRS pups get little enough love as it is.

...And am I the only one who thinks it's sad that people have ripped the stock pups from their higher-end PRS guitars?
    Last edited by Felix; 04-08-2014 at 04:37 AM.

A company's market manipulation isn't just fun to watch, it can be profitable for those that get it. And a 2 page rant-thread certainly perpetuates the strategy.

+ '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    ...And am I the only one who thinks it's sad that people have ripped the stock pups from their higher-end PRS guitars?
    I've seen PRSh encourage modification of their guitars for people that are after something very specific that PRS can't/won't make. No problems with it all if it makes one happy.

Of course, you can't do it with many models now anyway...
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I'm sorry, but yes, this is completely irrelevant. This is one of my pet peeves: nobody is arguing about PRS's right to operate as it sees fit, so why even bring it up? Why, when someone has a minor complaint or request about a product, is there always some knee-jerk assertion of the company's "rights?" You are correct that the choice is clear for those whose needs/desires are not being catered to -- that's why I haven't shelled out for a new PRS since 2010. It just doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Potential customer: "PRS should sell these pickups."
    PRS Fan: "PRS has every right not to sell you those pickups!"

This response may be true but it isn't a factor in whether the company should sell them. It explains nothing and doesn't address the OP's frustration. Do you understand how that can be, shall we say, off-putting? It doesn't negate the fact that there is a significant demand for the 57/08 pickups that PRS is either failing or refusing to meet.
    Do you understand how coming to a PRS sponsored forum, to express how much you disagree with their policies or prices, might be construed as a little off-putting?

-Bob

This post crystallizes why I love Les' posts so much. Lots of intelligent discourse, but there's always a golden nugget of humor. Bravo, amigo!

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Relevance simply means there is a relationship between two things. Since there is a relationship between PRS' business decision (that it has the right to make), and the availability of the pickups, PRS' rights and reasons to make such decisions are entirely relevant.

Of course making what they think is a good business decision makes a difference as to whether the company should sell them! That's the point! The company should NOT sell them if that would be bad for business!

Whether it pisses you off, of course, is entirely a separate matter. How their decision affects you may or may not be relevant to the question of whether it was a good decision, since you're a potential customer.

It's also a little too easy to engage in an ad hominem attack of those who disagree with you, and call them fanboys. Whether those who don't take your position are fanboys or not, how does that somehow make you right, and them wrong? A fanboy or a hater can be just as right about something as anyone else. (not calling you a hater, just saying a hater can be right about something) Whether someone is a fanboy or not is what is actually irrelevant to this discussion because it doesn't prove a thing.

There's no need for that, and frankly, it's kind of insulting to us fanboys.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    This post crystallizes why I love Les' posts so much. Lots of intelligent discourse, but there's always a golden nugget of humor. Bravo, amigo!

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Do you understand how coming to a PRS sponsored forum, to express how much you disagree with their policies or prices, might be construed as a little off-putting?
    That's one thing I don't have a problem with as long as it's civil, matter of fact it's a great place to do so. And for the record I have a high profile product out in the real world and I always read what the disgruntled users have to say.

It doesn't negate the fact that there is a significant demand for the 57/08 pickups that PRS is either failing or refusing to meet.
    Sure, but there is probably either a good business reason for not doing so (the market for after market pickups is pretty crowded), or even just a preference by PRS not to meet that demand (if there really is a demand). For all we know PRS may be looking into retailing them but haven't come up with a way to do so and not effect their main business. In the mean time we'll just have to learn to live with that, or buy PRS lock, stock & barrel and start producing those pickups for resale.

Personally, I can't see why you're so upset. If you don't like the price, don't buy them...simple as that. If you've ever priced "boutique" pickups, I think you'll agree that the 57/08s aren't really out of line. That ripoff artist Dave Stephens charges $800 for a set of PAF replicas. And that's for the people who wait in line. For an extra charge, he'll let you jump the line.

IMHO, 57/08s are fantastic. Definitely worth the price.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    I cringe when I see a PRS guitar (non-SE) listed for sale on Craigslist where the guy has replaced the original pickups with third party pickups.
    Then I scoff when the add referrs to the pickup swap as an "upgrade".
    If I were interested in such a guitar, I would make an offer equal to what I thought the guitar would be worth without any pickups at all.
    I can see installing PRS USA pickups into an SE; no problem there.
    I must be a PRS purist or something.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP