Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood combinaison for necks

Question Wood combinaison for necks

Hi guys,
    I'm new in the forum and i would like you to help (if you dont mind ) me choosing the right wood combinaison for my first PRS

I'm planning to buy a 408 with the Artist Package option ! What an amazing guitar, just tried out one in my local music store, waw. That 408 McCarty Tobacco (10-top) was the basic one with the mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. It sounded good !

With the Artist Package, I have mahogany neck + ebony fretboard (no Braz for me...) for standard and I would like you to give me your opinions about every wood combinaison for the neck + fretboard, if possible...

I can choose, with the Artist Package, between these options :

NECK : Mahogany, East Indian Rosewood and Figured Maple.
    FRETBOARD : Ebony Fretboard, East Indian Rosewood and Figured Maple (for maple neck only).

Is a Rosewood neck with rosewood fretboard should be too "dark" ?
    Is a Maple Neck with Maple fretboard is too "slappy" ?
    ... ?
    My actual guitar is a Noiseless Strat with Maple neck with Maple fretboard, I would like to buy something realy different, warmer and with "big balls" () in disto but not sacrificing a good clear sound that's why I am interested in buying a 408 !

I realy like the unfinished wood of the Indian rosewood neck (aesthetic).

Can you guys give me your opinions and experience about your PRS necks for 408 and other models

Thanks !

Rosewood neck with ebony fretboard will give you a warmth from the former and snap from the latter
    PRS 2002 McCarty Hollowbody I
    PRS 2008 Custom 24 - 10 Top - Rosewood Neck
    PRS 2008 McCarty Korina One-Off - Stripped 58
    PRS 2013 DC3 - PRS 2014 DGT - PRS 2008 McCarty Korina BRF
    Amps: Zinky Blue Velvet 25/Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25

Welcome to the forum.
    There are quite a few options among what you have listed. I'd leave off the maple neck if you specifically want something different from what you have.
    I'm a big fan of ebony boards and use it a lot with a mahogany neck. I like the richness and the tonal range it has.
    I also like rosewood on rosewood. I love the feel of a rosewood neck more than any other. I do like the sound, but find it a bit darker than ebony on mahogany. I wouldn't call it too dark though, just earthy. It is probably as far as you will get from maple/maple.

Any Rosewood Neck is "The Sh*t!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

The rosewood neck would certainly be a good option for you! The ebony board will give it a bit of snap at the attack portion of a note (think ADSR envelope on a synth, with a slightly faster attack setting than a RW board would give. That's what gives it the impression of being a little brighter than a RW board. The RW neck will warm it up, though.

OTOH, why not just get the 408 you liked?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Good to hear these responses as I also went with the RW neck and Ebony Fingerboard option on my AP order. I wanted to get the Rosewood warmth, but get the snap of the Ebony board. Plus, I always wanted to have a guitar with a Rosewood Neck after hearing all of the commotion, and a guitar with an Ebony board. Glad to clear my wishlist with one guitar! I have about another month or so before mine comes in. Expect my first NGD on this forum soon....

What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Any Rosewood Neck is "The Sh*t!
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I liked that guitar but I found the finish of the mahogany neck a little bit "sticky". I don't have sweaty hands but I didn't had a good feeling with the lacquer on the neck...

And because I would like to take an another color, the McCarty color was great but so impersonal, so "already seen"...

BTW, the aesthetic of the rosewood neck is so sweeeeeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    This. My experience is that mahogany necks are warmer and have more of a midrange bump than rosewood. If you like that classic tone, a mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard combination is the way to go, in my opinion. Rosewood necks are more of a boutique option, though, and the folks around here who have them really love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by vox801 View Post
    Rosewood neck with ebony fretboard will give you a warmth from the former and snap from the latter
    This would be my thought as well.

I do not have any personal experience with a Rosewood Neck but for all I've heard/read its really comfortable to play on.

I like the Rosewood Boards on both Maple and Hog, its... good... maybe traditional... I've loved the feel and snap of Ebony on every guitar I've owned with it. So far I've experienced Ebony with Korina, Maple, and Hog necks. All sounded and felt great.

My guess is with the Rosewood Neck/Ebony Board you'll have a very nice combination.

I've never heard a rosewood neck/ebony board, but now have something to dream about! Thanks a lot, all you GAS enabling bastids!

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    There are quite a few options among what you have listed. I'd leave off the maple neck if you specifically want something different from what you have.
    I'm a big fan of ebony boards and use it a lot with a mahogany neck. I like the richness and the tonal range it has.
    I also like rosewood on rosewood. I love the feel of a rosewood neck more than any other. I do like the sound, but find it a bit darker than ebony on mahogany. I wouldn't call it too dark though, just earthy. It is probably as far as you will get from maple/maple.
    What about a rosewood neck + ebony fretboard for you ?

Another vote for rosewood neck/ebony fretboard. Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagefr3ak View Post
    What about a rosewood neck + ebony fretboard for you ?
    I don't have that combination but would not hesitate to get one.

Here is a link to some thoughts on necks I wrote a couple of years ago. These are just my personal observations. Peter's babbling about electric guitar necks
    Last edited by veinbuster; 04-08-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    I don't have that combination but would not hesitate to get one.

Here is a link to some thoughts on necks I wrote a couple of years ago. These are just my personal observations. Peter's babbling about electric guitar necks
    Thanks sharing the article, was useful ! ;-)

Waw, it looks like you got amazing guitars !

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Another vote for rosewood neck/ebony fretboard. Heaven.
    Did you play one ? Do you own one ?
    Can you give me more informations about your feeling of the neck, if it's possible
    Thanks

I have the IRW/Ebony combination on the SCHBII I recently got. I'm loving it. I don't have a lot of experience with other combinations to offer much comparison for you. My CU22 has maple/coco bolo and my CU24 is mahogany/rw. The SCHBII definitely has a snappy ring to it, with lots of sustain. If anyone in the area wants to check it out PM me.

Hi guys !

I'll order my guitar on monday or thursday (max), does anyone else here have a last experience or a last tip and opinion for me about the neck combination ? Would be nice again

I'm hesitating about Indian Rosewood neck + Ebony board / Mahogany neck + Ebony board / Mahogany neck + Indian Rosewood board... (That last one should be similar to the standard production guitar, nah ?)

Help

Thanks !

Up

Rosewood necks feel incredible, that's all I can say, and for me the neck/fingerboard is more about feel than sound on an electric guitar.
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)