Thread: NAD!!! Paul's Amp!!!

NAD!!! Paul's Amp!!!

Crappy picture but you get the idea!!! It sounds and feels magnificent!!! Reminds me a lot of the HXDA and the Recording Amp....it feels like Doug's work....simplified though with the one gain knob...there is no hassle of figuring out the balance between two gain knobs ...it is perfection all the way around...I left all knobs except for gain and presence at 12...I experimented with adjusting those two, the clean/dirty switch and the controls of a Cu22 loaded with 57/08TM's.....it sits very firmly in Marshall territory with a sweet top end and clarity....very touch sensitive and old school....absolutely love it....master volume is very useable....GREAT AMP!
    -Bob

Congrats! It looks very nice. As. VM owner I would be interested in a comparison after you have had some time with Paul.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Nice score DB!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Somehow I'm not surprised it found its way to you.
    Have fun.
    I really want to hear how you like it when you hit go baby go.

Very cool -- enjoy that thing!

That's a sweet amp.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Cool! Congrats on that bad boy!

Sweet amp. I've wanted one of those since the first time I heard it (the MDT).
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Somehow I'm not surprised it found its way to you.
    Have fun.
    I really want to hear how you like it when you hit go baby go.
    Definitely gonna do that tonight!!!!
    -Bob

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
    Sweet amp. I've wanted one of those since the first time I heard it (the MDT).

So this amp is a bit different than the MDT....It's the love child of a 25th/HXDA and the MDT....Cinemag transformers clean\dirty switch changes four components...three of them gain oriented and one adds clarity....it feels awesome to play...and the sound is immense.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 04-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tiboy View Post
    Congrats! It looks very nice. As. VM owner I would be interested in a comparison after you have had some time with Paul.

Definitely....I will give more color after I've gotten to know it better...I love the 2466...it's an internally bridged Marshall with KT66's...what's not to love? I find the 2466 to be a bit brighter and stiff at lower volumes in comparison to Doug's designs...although this dissipates at high volumes with the 2466 once you get the power tubes really cooking....

Doug's amps are where it's at for me.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bob View Post
    Doug's amps are where it's at for me.
    +1

I have to admit, this was a surprise to me. I always thought the MDT/Paul's Amp to be close enough to the HXDA that you wouldn't go there. Not only am I glad that I'm wrong, I'm glad you got a really pretty one. The Marshall "coaster" looks good too. And now the big question...where does it sit compared to the HXDA when played with a variety of guitars...ES-335, Cu-22 (which you already know), Tele, P-90s, etc.?

Congrats bro!
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

I think one of the reasons why I got such a huge smile on my face when I plugged into it and fired it up are because of the similarities it shares with the HXDA and the Recording Amp...rather than the differences...although there are definitely some differences....I can dial in the tone in my head on any one of them...there are a few tones I view as Tonal Nirvana....from clean to dirty it goes from Hendrix Cleans and Dirty, to Duane And Dickey at the Fillmore, to Derek Trucks and his HXDA, and Warren Haynes....with his Soldano SLO/Diaz combo or the Super Dallas/25th (or Texaplex?!!?!?!)....these Amps are the Hendrix/ABB palette of sounds..they are the BEST Cranked Vintage Marshall based Amps EVER....you feel connected when you play...every note....every nuance can be brought out....I cringe at the thought of having to use some random backline after having these amps....they are as essential an instrument as the actual guitar you play....they all "feel" a bit different if that makes sense...in turn it makes you play a bit differently which is always inspiring

I have so far tried PRS with 57/08's and 59/09's, Thorns with Pasedena's, custom wind Lollars, and GT-90's, and Fender C/S strats with a bunch of different pickup combos....you can hear each guitars distinct voice....these amps ROCK....all take pedals very well up front....The Paul's Amp sounded great with all but.....I about wet myself when I heard it with the GT-90's.

The HXDA I have has you know is 30 watt open backed combo with a V30....
    The 50 watt Paul's Amp is running through a Recto 2x12 on casters with v30's...
    The 50 watt Recording Head is running through another Recto 2x12 on the floor with v30's...

all of these cab configurations sound unique...even the two recto cabs sound very different to my ears so it's hard to distinguish what is truly the amp and what is the cab (with the limited amount of time I've had with the new head)...At some point in time I will run each through the same cabs and truly be able to answer the question but for now....who the heck wants to do that when every note sounds so darn good?!?! I will say with less knobs and switches it seemed easier (took less time to dial in the sounds I was after) dialing in tones on the Paul's....hard to tell with the limited amount of time I've had....It really is amazing how great the Paul's Amp sounds with everything straight up at 12....seasoning to taste with the gain/presence/clean/dirty switch... I've felt really no need to adjust the TMB tone stack so far...which is strange for me because I ALWAYS tweak these knobs on the other two depending on which guitar I'm using....this may come about more when I'm switching between my strats as I spend more time with the rig...

These amps sound great!!! I have never been this happy with my guitar tone...EVER....I would be fine with any one of them (but am going to enjoy feeling spoiled for the time being with the three)

oh....one more thing I was less inclined to boost the amp for push and/or clarity....normally I use a JHS Klone or an EP boost..especially at lower volumes..I laid off with the Paul's.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 04-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    -Bob

It sounds a lot like love.
    Stay spoiled.

I meant to call you yesterday but didn't want to interrupt your "amp time". Might have time tomorrow.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Give a ring tomorrow if you get a minute....yesterday I was running around with coaching and family...although I did spend about two hours at night playing exclusively on the clean mode with the white over three tone.....just messed with the presence a bit...gain at one everything else at twelvish...and then played....gorgeous single coil goodness...auditioning a few bassists tomorrow night (frustrating story if I haven't told you) so will probably use the HXDA...but once we get that situation figured out I'll try the new one in the mix...that will be the real test because that's when I will start tweaking knobs depending on how it sounds with everyone else.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 04-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    It sounds a lot like love.
    Stay spoiled.

We need to get to know each other a bit better (we just met after all!!!)....but yeah it seems to be a really good match!
    -Bob

I want to hear one of those!