Thread: Do You Ever Feel Like You Are "Rescuing" A Guitar?

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar

Do You Ever Feel Like You Are "Rescuing" A Guitar?

For those potentially like-minded and equally ill GASers such as I, who tend to collect as well as play, do you ever feel like you are personally "rescuing" a guitar when you buy it?

Do you feel sad to see it hanging or lying there all unloved, and know that YOU would love it more and take better care of it than anyone else?

Do you feel sometimes like it's a moral imperative that YOU PERSONALLY rescue that instrument before someone else who is less deserving or, maybe even evil, gets to it first?

When you see someone doing something stupid to or with a really nice guitar, do you feel like you should tell them? Or maybe hit them on the head and TAKE said guitar?

Do you feel bad when you have a guitar on layaway that it somehow knows that maybe, just maybe, you should be trying HARDER to bring it home FASTER?

Once you get it (her) home, do you feel guilty if you don't play her enough?

Do you feel I need medication as much as I suspect I do?
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2014 SE Zach Myers | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

I used to, but I'm hitting the point where some of the few that I have are becoming less loved.

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Do you feel sad to see it hanging or lying there all unloved, and know that YOU would love it more and take better care of it than anyone else?

Do you feel sometimes like it's a moral imperative that YOU PERSONALLY rescue that instrument before someone else who is less deserving or, maybe even evil, gets to it first?

Is this what the crazy cat lady thinks!!!! Maybe I should be more understanding!!
    I like surprises!!!

This might be the worst photoshop I have ever done (I spent all of 2 minutes on it), but you get the point. This is the sticker you need.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

All the time! That's why I'm still restoring my first guitar, even though my new ones are objectively better.

I feel that way every time I see those poor homeless guitars in the PS Friday posts.

Upper Columbia River Basin just south of Canada.
    I am already taking medication and I feel the same. I feel your pain ... er, pleasure ... whatever. LOL

Yes.

I have a soft spot for guitorphans.

Sometimes I skip my medication and talk to them.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

I feel like I have rescued a few.
    Plank Owner

I've abducted a few.

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    For those potentially like-minded and equally ill GASers such as I, who tend to collect as well as play, do you ever feel like you are personally "rescuing" a guitar when you buy it?

When you see someone doing something stupid to or with a really nice guitar, do you feel like you should tell them? Or maybe hit them on the head and TAKE said guitar?

Do you feel bad when you have a guitar on layaway that it somehow knows that maybe, just maybe, you should be trying HARDER to bring it home FASTER?

Once you get it (her) home, do you feel guilty if you don't play her enough?

I am with you on all of the above, except that there are no meds for this, although I found having my wife close by keeps this in check somewhat.

Also, I would stay away from animal rescue shelters if I were you.
    Last edited by RVA; 04-12-2014 at 04:51 AM.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RVA View Post
    I am with you on all of the above, except that there are no meds for this, although I found having my wife close by keeps this in check somewhat.

Also, I would stay away from animal rescue shelters if I were you.
    LMAO just one cat, but that's more his choice than ours.
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2014 SE Zach Myers | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

I've got a couple of rescue dogs, do they count?

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    I've got a couple of rescue dogs, do they count?
    Of course - many karma points -just keep them away from the guitars! One rescue cat for me.

That's why I got a water repellent case for the Mira.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    That's why I got a water repellent case for the Mira.
    Brilliant. After all, there is good humidification and, well..bad.