Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Guitar Center bashing on PRS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    83

    Guitar Center bashing on PRS

    So my local guitar center is blowing out core PRS guitars...I bought one and am thinking about another one. I was talking to the manager and he said " we are getting rid of the USA line due to the factory not keeping up with the quality. " I couldn't believe it.

  2. #2
    Blues Junior Member pachap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Crap-vannah, GA
    Posts
    12
    LOL, he was probably told to say that by the corporate office. Don't believe it. Considering how bad their financial troubles are there is definitely something more to it.
    S2 Custom 24

  3. #3
    Senior Member watelessness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,015
    Three words: Brain Capital liquidation.
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Prs2studio View Post
    So my local guitar center is blowing out core PRS guitars...I bought one and am thinking about another one. I was talking to the manager and he said " we are getting rid of the USA line due to the factory not keeping up with the quality. " I couldn't believe it.
    Yeah, that would be called a "whopping lie."



    From Create Digital Music:

    "The Wall Street Journal [paywall] reports that the retailer’s largest creditor is in “advanced talks” with owner Bain Capital to take over the company. (That’s the same Bain Capital made famous by former Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, yes.)One element in common: both companies saw aggressive growth plans curtailed at least partly by the economic crisis. Guitar Center ran into trouble shortly after acquisition by Bain in 2007, growing head-first into a slowing US retail economy. Eric Garland, a writer, consultant, and “future trend analyst,” has some harsh words for the music store on his blog on the “transformational economy”:
    'I said that the debt-laden big box model was not built for the long term. I stand by my assessment. The events are playing out to make my point for me … In the mean time, you should think about the future of local retail – the kind that doesn’t end up billions in debt. It may have quite a future.'

    That seems a fairly black-and-white view. The question is whether the chain’s debt problems owe to the big box model fundamentally, or to a growth plan unhinged from reality.

    Here’s the situation. Guitar Center has amassed some US$1.6 billion in debt, “much of it stemming from Bain’s $2.1 billion leveraged buyout of the company in 2007,” according to the Wall Street Journal. The talks would convert that debt into ownership by the creditor.

    Note the numbers there. A large portion of the debt in Guitar Center came from the original, highly-leveraged buyout. In other words, you may be able to draw more conclusions about Bain from what’s happened than you would about the music instruments industry or big box retail in general.

    There could be serious implications for music manufacturers, anyway, particularly the titular guitar makers. The big box format means accumulating lots of inventory, and that inventory means revenue for makers. Guitar Center is such a market force that it could pass its own financial woes onto those makers, exacting leaner margins. Then again, it was presumably doing that already."

    The word I've heard - and it may or may not be true - is that companies like Mesa don't want that risk, and pulled the plug, which is why GC no longer carries their gear.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  5. #5
    I'm sorry, but Guitar Center died for me years ago, used to love that store a lot when it was managed by actual musicians and people that loved what they did, today i just hope it closes ASAP.

  6. #6
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,369
    Wow. Well that's just another example of a GC employee that has no freaking idea 1. what he's talking about, and 2. how to make a sale.

    He was probably totally baked, reading his emails one day when that memo came across. I can just see the scene when the regional manager comes into the store and there are no more PRSi left, "You idiot!!! You were supposed to get rid of the GIBSONS!!!"

    Oh well, their stupidity is your gain!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - Mira X - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
    I'm sorry, but Guitar Center died for me years ago, used to love that store a lot when it was managed by actual musicians and people that loved what they did, today i just hope it closes ASAP.
    They aren't what they used to be, but I have friends who work at in pro audio at a nearby GC, and they're musicians and are good at what they do and are in "GC Pro." I'd honestly hate to see them lose their jobs.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Prs2studio View Post
    So my local guitar center is blowing out core PRS guitars...I bought one and am thinking about another one. I was talking to the manager and he said " we are getting rid of the USA line due to the factory not keeping up with the quality. " I couldn't believe it.

    I actually talked the other day to a guitar center tech about this. His exact words were, "smaller guitar centers won't have PRS because we don't sell enough. We don't sell enough because we are told to push Gibson and Fender. It's a shame"

    i tried to convert a friend not too long ago and he loves playing my prs guitars, even records with them. As far as owning one, he's a gibson man on stage and in heart. But in tone, he might as well have PRS stamped on his forehead.
    Weapons Acquired: 2005-20th Anniversary Custom 22 2006​-Custom 22 2006-McCarty 2008-Chris Henderson 2009-Ted McCarty SC 245 Soapbar 2010-Tremonti 2010-25th Anniversary Modern Eagle III 2010-Modern Eagle Quatro 2011-PRS Experience Custom 24 2011-SC-58 2011-McCarty 58 2011-Angelus Custom 2011-85 Throwback 2012-DGT 2012-Custom 24 (Hand Signed Headstock Logo) 2012 Private Stock #4029 2013-Paul's Guitar AMP-PRS CAD Blistertone 50

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    There could be serious implications for music manufacturers, anyway, particularly the titular guitar makers. The big box format means accumulating lots of inventory, and that inventory means revenue for makers. Guitar Center is such a market force that it could pass its own financial woes onto those makers, exacting leaner margins. Then again, it was presumably doing that already."
    Would that hit PRS more or less as GC seems to not carry a lot of their core and S2 products? (I'm excluding the SE line which seems to be everywhere).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Would that hit PRS more or less as GC seems to not carry a lot of their core and S2 products? (I'm excluding the SE line which seems to be everywhere).
    You'd have to ask the PRS brain trust that one. I have no idea.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  11. #11
    Blues Junior Member pachap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Crap-vannah, GA
    Posts
    12
    If this is true, I guess this would be the first move made by Ares Capital... or it may not even be official yet. Interesting to see how this shakes down.
    S2 Custom 24

  12. #12
    Senior Member wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    685
    I was told by a friend that works at GC, they moved the core lines to the stores with platinum rooms. This was the purpose of the platinum room. My beef is the store with the platinum room sucks!!! And now if i want to see a core line I have to go there. cool part is I can still go to my favorite GC and buy the guitar from them.
    I like surprises!!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    7,344
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    He was probably totally baked,
    Doubt it, baked dudes are usually overly positive.... he's probably too poor to afford weed working off commission at GC right now, hence why he's crabby and spoutin' nonsense.

  14. #14
    PRS Convert FennRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
    I'm sorry, but Guitar Center died for me years ago, used to love that store a lot when it was managed by actual musicians and people that loved what they did, today i just hope it closes ASAP.
    when was that? And you have GCs down in Central/South America?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    83
    The store is looking less like GC and more like a bargain basement store just trying to hang on. It's a C level store so I am sure if the rumors of closing GC are true it would be one of the first to go. I don't care I'm just trying to get the deals before it happens.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Brad737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    848
    Please pardon my French, but what a shitty attitude! There are a lot of great folks who depend on GC staying afloat, so they can feed their families. Guitar Center is no different than any other business. You have a few douchebags working there, but most of the folks I've dealt with have been great. I certainly wish them the best.


    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
    I'm sorry, but Guitar Center died for me years ago, used to love that store a lot when it was managed by actual musicians and people that loved what they did, today i just hope it closes ASAP.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

    http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

  17. #17
    I know a few years ago I was looking to sell a PRS CU24 (yes, I am an idiot), and talked to GC about buying it at one point, and they made an insultingly low offer for trade in (not shocking, they have to make money too), and the sales guy told me somthing along the lines of, look, you have a very nice guitar, and I'd love to be able to do more for you, but look out there. I've got brand new PRS guitars hanging on the wall that haven't moved in almost a year.

    It was irritating at the time as someone looking to trade in, but more than that, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like GC is the best place for PRS to move product. It gets their product out there to where people can put there hands on it, but I feel like GC is the Walmart of music stores, and as a result, people want things cheap, and don't want to dish out money for top dollar items. GC seems to really rely on moving a ton of cheap guitars (because it's easier for people to spend that kind of money) instead of pushing the really high end stuff. As much as you do or don't love a company, you can't deny that it takes a very committed, specific buyer, to spend the money necessary to get a core model PRS.

  18. #18
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    3,447
    They certainly have changed over the years though.
    Way back in '73 a young lad of 16 walked in there with a friend with their Gibson '73 Les Paul Deluxe, and an original '61 SG (Les Paul) for setups.
    The youngster sat down on a couch to play his Les Paul through an amp, and an older guy by the name of Leon Hendrix sat down and jammed with him for awhile.
    An experience for sure that I (owner of the Les Paul) will never forget.

  19. #19
    PRS Convert FennRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by lefthandagenda View Post
    I know a few years ago I was looking to sell a PRS CU24 (yes, I am an idiot), and talked to GC about buying it at one point, and they made an insultingly low offer for trade in (not shocking, they have to make money too), and the sales guy told me somthing along the lines of, look, you have a very nice guitar, and I'd love to be able to do more for you, but look out there. I've got brand new PRS guitars hanging on the wall that haven't moved in almost a year.

    It was irritating at the time as someone looking to trade in, but more than that, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like GC is the best place for PRS to move product. It gets their product out there to where people can put there hands on it, but I feel like GC is the Walmart of music stores, and as a result, people want things cheap, and don't want to dish out money for top dollar items. GC seems to really rely on moving a ton of cheap guitars (because it's easier for people to spend that kind of money) instead of pushing the really high end stuff. As much as you do or don't love a company, you can't deny that it takes a very committed, specific buyer, to spend the money necessary to get a core model PRS.
    I bought my SC245 last year used. According to the paperwork, it is a 2008 model and was sold brand new at my GC in October or November 2013. PRS is not very popular around here.

    I liked this (paraphrased) line that i read on MLP:

    GC Prospective Buyer: I see that you have $700 million of debt. After looking on the internet for what other businesses are going for, we can only offer you $7 million. Maybe you could try selling on ebay or Craigslist?

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    83
    They have two PRS CU24 guitars that just traded in that I can buy both for the same price as a S2 line. Now think the person that traded them in or sold them got half of the sticker price. I lost sleep last night thinking about why I didn't grab them. Do I need them? No I don't but for the money it's hard not to buy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •