Thread: NGDx2: 513 with rosewood neck & Wood Library DGT

NGDx2: 513 with rosewood neck & Wood Library DGT

Hi Guys,

I picked these up over the past few weeks...it's been a good month! The one thing that really struck me about these guitars is the near-perfection of them. I see guys on other forums whining and calling PRS sterile, but I just don't get that. They feel incredibly solid and well-built, and they sound fantastic. They are also amazingly consistent. I believe these are something like the 9th and 10th PRSi I've owned, and every guitar has been great (including SE models). I love that when I get one, I pretty much know what I'm getting. I don't have to cross my fingers and hope that it's "a good one," which is what I've done in the past with some of the other popular brands. It makes me feel confident when I buy one without playing it first. If I find out that it's not for me after owning it for a while, I'm also confident that it's something inherent in that particular model that I'm not crazy about, rather than a flaw in a particular instrument. Anyway...on to the good stuff.

First up is a 2011 513 with a rosewood neck. Why on earth didn't anyone tell me how awesome 513's are?!?! I've bought a number of PRSi over the past few years, but I never looked too seriously at the 513 for some reason. If you're in the same boat, do yourself a favor and take another look at this model. Everyone talks about how versatile they are, so I figured they must be like a multi-tool...just okay at a bunch of things, but not really good at anything. IMO that isn't the case. This guitar totally blew me away. It can hang with my full humbuckers (Paul's Guitar, DGT, SC58, DC22, etc.), but it adds in a whole bunch of flavors to the palette. The great thing is that those flavors are an incremental bonus, rather than creating any sort of compromise to my ears. The 'heavy humbucker' sounds are a throaty/woody sound, and the single coil sounds are pretty darn legit. The pattern regular rosewood neck is insanely comfortable as well. Getting used to having the middle pickup there has been a little bit of an adjustment, but not really an issue. It looks pretty darn good dressed in its McCarty Sunburst finish too. I'm really diggin' this guitar!

Next up is a Wood Library DGT from Brian's Guitars. This thing is fantastic as well. Feels, looks, plays, and most importantly sounds amazing. It's a super lightweight tone machine...love it! The bridge pickup into Marshall-style amps is mental. Also of note, Brian was awesome to work with on this one. He makes everything really easy...good communication, pricing, etc. I think he gets his hands on some of the finest PRS wood going out the door these days. This one is fairly easy on the eyes as well...all the way down to the sparkly little birds.

Top: Hand Picked figured Maple 10 top
    Body: Ribbon Mahogany
    Neck: Korina
    Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood
    Inlays: Birds with hand selected Sparkle Mother Of Pearl centers and Paua outlines
    Neck carve: DGT
    Bridge: PRS Tremolo
    Pickups: DGT
    Hardware: Hybrid
    Case: Black Tolex
    Finish: Copper

Here's a shot next to my orange tiger Paul's Guitar...the flame pattern on these is very similar.

What great guitars! Enjoy 'em!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Seriously chic lookin' guitars!

What's up with all the multiple (x3 x2)NGDs going on lately? In my day you just bought one and liked it!

Love them both. The dgt is especially sweet
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Thanks gents! I actually had no intention of buying that 513. I got it when Musician's Friend had their blowout the other week. It was cheaper than buying one used, and my curiosity got the best of me. I had to do it, and I'm glad I did!

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Seriously chic lookin' guitars!

What's up with all the multiple (x3 x2)NGDs going on lately? In my day you just bought one and liked it!

Outstanding!

Wow! Lovely pair indeed.

Gorgeous!

Those are seriously sweet guitars.
    Enjoy.

513 is hands down my favorite PRS model.

Dayum ................................... What a splash
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Love the neck on the 513, and the DGT looks sweet with that wrap. An excellent pair...congrats.
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

very nice!!
    PRS 2002 McCarty Hollowbody I
    PRS 2008 Custom 24 - 10 Top - Rosewood Neck
    PRS 2008 McCarty Korina One-Off - Stripped 58
    PRS 2013 DC3 - PRS 2014 DGT - PRS 2008 McCarty Korina BRF
    Amps: Zinky Blue Velvet 25/Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25

Awesome! Congrats.

Congrats on a great pair
    Loving both of them
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Both excellent scores. Really dig the WL DGT. They are different fiddles, but clearly siblings. I like it. Double congrats!!!
    Plank Owner

Thanks guys! I've been putting in quite a few hours on both of these bad boys, and they are both fantastic. I'm typically running them through a Tophat Emplexador, and the sounds I'm getting are just nuts.

The DGT is so great to play for hours on end. It's lightweight and comfy, and I love the neck profile. It's comfortably chunky, not too wide or narrow. I also really enjoy the control layout...love having that bridge pickup volume right next to my pinky. The bridge and neck pickups both sing, and this guitar has that really woody/hollow tone to it (I always feel silly trying to describe this sort of thing). I've been playing a lot of classic and 90's rock stuff lately (Aerosmith, Stone Temple Pilots, Tom Petty, Skynyrd, etc.). Most of the time I'm running what I'd call mildly overdriven tones, and it is definitely perfectly suited for that task. As with all of the other recent PRS pickups I've tried (57/08, 59/09, 408 etc.), the DGT pickups have all of those crazy harmonics and string separation without sounding congested or muddy. I had been really curious about the DGT for quite some time based on all of the rave reviews I was reading, and I'm so glad I took the plunge.

The 513 is extremely interesting, and I only mean that in a good way (not like when you think something is really weird and call it interesting to be nice). The neck on this one is really killer. The pattern regular profile usually feels a little narrow to me when I first switch to it from something else, but I always quickly adapt and it ends up feeling great. It also always reminds me why people tend to love the feel of rosewood. It just has a wonderful raw feeling in the hand. It really does have a TON of sounds in it. I could sit there all night switching pickups and positions, continually finding something different. What surprises me is how good they all actually sound. I don't think there's anything gimmicky about it. If this guitar only had the "heavy humbucking" mode, I'd still think it was an awesome guitar. I just view all of the other stuff as gravy with where I'm at in my playing right now. The only thing I have to come to grips with is the middle pickup being in the way. I continually hit it with my pick. 90% of my guitars only have two pickups (either PRS, LP's, or Tele's...I'm not much of a Strat guy). I'm used to having space to work between them. Having to work around that middle pickup annoys me at times. When I only play the 513 for a few days, that definitely goes away, but I do find it annoying when I'm switching among guitars (which I typically do constantly).

As mentioned in my initial post, they are damn near perfection in terms of fit and finish. They don't have the broken-in shoe feel of vintage guitars with natural play wear, but you can't replicate that accurately IMO. I have artificially aged guitars, and they are definitely cool, but natural play wear just seems to impart a loose feel that can't be copied...again, tough to describe. I can't put a finger on it, but these PRSi have a certain something that other brands don't seem to have. They have a quality and precise feel. It's going to be really interesting to see how they feel and sound as they age. My oldest PRS is only a 2011. Hmmm...maybe I need to buy an early one!

Outstanding X 2! I'm particularly diggin that wood library DGT . Congrats!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Aww man, lemme at that DGT!!! Very nice...