Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PRS Amp?

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Ohhhhh....super jealous of that matching PRS 4x12! How does it compare to others? I haven't found one to check out near me.

Archon is my favorite amp.
    I've only used the Archon with the Avatar with Hellatone Vintage 30s and the Splawn with Scumback BM-75s (brighter greenbacks). The PRS cab is tighter, more focused bass than the Avatar with essentially the same speakers. The cabs are almost the exact same dimensions too so I assume any differences I hear are cab construction differences or the pre-broken in V30s in the Avatar. Not sure how to describe it, but the cleans seem a little more alive/3D with the PRS cab too. Again, might just been the speakers, but I definitely like it whatever it is. I've only run the Archon into the Splawn cab for a few mins. It does a cool old school 70s metal tone if you pump up the mids. I normally use that cab with the Friedman SS since that's my 80s Hot Rodded Marshall tone. I also just got a Splawn 2x12 that's roughly the size of the PRS Big Mouth 2x12 that I've loaded with BM-75LDC Scumbacks, similar to G12-65 Celestions. Haven't tried the Archon with it yet, but I'll maybe do that today. I plan to use that 2x12 as my main rehearsal cab since it's a little more portable.
    Last edited by yankeebulldog; 05-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    I've only used the Archon with the Avatar with Hellatone Vintage 30s and the Splawn with Scumback BM-75s (brighter greenbacks). The PRS cab is tighter, more focused bass than the Avatar with essentially the same speakers. The cabs are almost the exact same dimensions too so I assume any differences I hear are cab construction differences or the pre-broken in V30s in the Avatar. Not sure how to describe it, but the cleans seem a little more alive/3D with the PRS cab too. Again, might just been the speakers, but I definitely like it whatever it is. I've only run the Archon into the Splawn cab for a few mins. It does a cool old school 70s metal tone if you pump up the mids. I normally use that cab with the Friedman SS since that's my 80s Hot Rodded Marshall tone. I also just got a Splawn 2x12 that's roughly the size of the PRS Big Mouth 2x12 that I've loaded with BM-75LDC Scumbacks, similar to G12-65 Celestions. Haven't tried the Archon with it yet, but I'll maybe do that today. I plan to use that 2x12 as my main rehearsal cab since it's a little more portable.
    Nice, sounds like I'd dig it then. I'd like to compare to my Bogner Uberkabs. Not sure I can justify spending $ on 2 new 4x12 cabs that I don't really need.

I use a Bad Cat Alley Cat 1X12 combo, if I need more volume I hookup my Unleash. Lightweight & simple rig.

Mesa 5:50 Plus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Nice, sounds like I'd dig it then. I'd like to compare to my Bogner Uberkabs. Not sure I can justify spending $ on 2 new 4x12 cabs that I don't really need.
    Ah, but what the heck. Spending it on guitar gear is just so much fun.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ah, but what the heck. Spending it on guitar gear is just so much fun.
    Very true, but have to allocate the $ where it's really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP67 View Post
    What's your favorite amp to play your PRS thru?
    Hello,
    Black one with a lot of knobs, kinda big, turned up real loud!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Shiva!
    Ditto!!

But my 2 channel H is amazing too
    The 20th anniv Shiva and the 2 Channel H cover most of the tones I need
    Last edited by Texas_minor_blues; 05-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )