Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sinker" on Sigs

Re: "Sinker" on Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim
    Hans - I had actually intended to reply to this thread the other day but at the time one of your posts was the last one and the thread was locked so I assumed you had shut it down considering the matter closed.
    It's all good, Tim. The time-out was an uncommon opportunity for people to cool the jets, realize (1) that some people were deliberately trying to start a fire, and (2) continue forward behaving as gentlemen. As Jamie suggested, the argument had become circuitous and people turned their attention from the issue to each other.

If nothing else, it gave Bennett (henceforth known to his pals as "Ned") time to create the golden nugget of hilarity that is the Destroyer. On a long enough timeline (like 5 minutes after it was posted), things like that become a fun part of a new culture - even for Bennett. It's a sign of emotional IQ, as far as I am concerned.

We're all here for the love of guitars. Sometimes that gets lost. If you know me, you know I totally get it.

Anyway... peace.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    We're all here for the love of guitars.
    Not entirely. Shawn is here for beer too. Speaking of which, what beer will be available at the Experience this year?
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    We're all here for the love of guitars.
    Not entirely. Shawn is here for beer too. Speaking of which, what beer will be available at the Experience this year?

Shawn is only anywhere for the beer...

Beer @ The Experience? No way!

Jamie, reminiscing about Tremonti going on a beer run for me and Kingsley...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Oh, and like Hans said, the posts injecting a bit of humor help (hopefully) calm things down a bit...

Or not (@sshole!) :lol:

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Banned

Ned, the Destroyer, approves of this thread!

I also wasn't trying to take away from the thread...just trying to stop the "destroying" and "lynching"

And profess my love for warm delicious apple pie... :mrgreen: :twisted:
    -Bob

It has come to our attention that there is a misunderstanding surrounding the term "sinker" mahogany as we used it to describe our Signature Limited model. When the wood was first brought to our attention Paul commented, "This wood is so dense, it would sink in water," so the nickname "sinker" was given. It was never our intention to mislead folks into believing it was reclaimed wood that had been submersed in water for a period of time. The truth is most of us had never heard this term used before, but we've since learned of the word's other use, and we apologize for the mix up.

PRS tries to be a transparent company. Those of you who are familiar with Paul and the PRS crew know this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS
    It has come to our attention that there is a misunderstanding surrounding the term "sinker" mahogany as we used it to describe our Signature Limited model. When the wood was first brought to our attention Paul commented, "This wood is so dense, it would sink in water," so the nickname "sinker" was given. It was never our intention to mislead folks into believing it was reclaimed wood that had been submersed in water for a period of time. The truth is most of us had never heard this term used before, but we've since learned of the word's other use, and we apologize for the mix up.

PRS tries to be a transparent company. Those of you who are familiar with Paul and the PRS crew know this to be true.
    Now this I can get behind. A sincere apology instead of a video telling me why I was wrong to think that Sinker actually meant recovered wood. It is still a shame that some of us did not get what we thought we were buying if we bought our guitars early BUT this is stand up.

I still think it would have been awesome if my neck was cut by some dude in 1750 which a hatchet though

Quote Originally Posted by Buickrob
    I still think it would have been awesome if my neck was cut by some dude in 1750 which a hatchet though
    Me too

That would be awesome.

A guillotine would be less painful, of course.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman
    That would be awesome.

A guillotine would be less painful, of course.

A rusty butter knife would be less painful than arguing with you again. :mrgreen:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS

Very cool Shawn. I'm pretty sure that most of us enjoyed the debate itself, more than the actual issue of the true origin of the wood. Most of all (I think) never thought it was malicious or done with intent to mislead.

thanks for the comments. Much appreciated, at least by myself, owner of PS Sig #56.

-Bennett

A rusty butter knife would be less painful than arguing with you again. :mrgreen:
    Haha. That's the point.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Just an FYI update, and last thing I will ever say about this publicly. I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back. My last email said I unfortunately have to vote with my wallet going forward. Not that I buy a ton of new PRS but it's been 6-7 since 2009. First time I've ever had emails go unanswered by PRS.

I will say again though, the general apology here was a step in the right direction at least.
    Last edited by Buickrob; 05-24-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buickrob View Post
    Just an FYI update, and last thing I will ever say about this publicly. I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back. My last email said I unfortunately have to vote with my wallet going forward. Not that I buy a ton of new PRS but it's been 6-7 since 2009. First time I've ever had emails go unanswered by PRS.

I will say again though, the general apology here was a step in the right direction at least.
    A couple of things are driving me batty. In the same paragraph, you state "not that I really needed a reply," and that since you didn't get one, you're going to "vote with your wallet going forward."

Maybe you don't see a contradiction here. I don't want to start another argument, but you clearly did need a reply, and I sincerely hope you get one.

Also people are thanking Shawn for re-stating the very same explanation Paul Smith gave in his video, like it's somehow different. What's changed? That he said, in essence, "we're sorry for the mixup?"

I received this e-mail yesterday from Shawn...

I will be out of the office until May 29th, 2012.
    I will reply to your email upon my return.

Thank you.
    Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation...

Jamie

I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back.
    Yup. The man is on a well deserved vacation.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 05-24-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    One Life

Rob,

I've been out of the office so I thought I'd post a reply here on the forum so that you didn't have to repost my email to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    A couple of things are driving me batty. In the same paragraph, you state "not that I really needed a reply," and that since you didn't get one, you're going to "vote with your wallet going forward."

Maybe you don't see a contradiction here. I don't want to start another argument, but you clearly did need a reply, and I sincerely hope you get one.

Also people are thanking Shawn for re-stating the very same explanation Paul Smith gave in his video, like it's somehow different. What's changed? That he said, in essence, "we're sorry for the mixup?"
    Just when I think I got out.........

Jesus Christ, stop over ANALyzing every damn word. Somehow you think you know everything going on in other people's minds. You do not know what I need vs. what I want. I did not need a reply, I did expect one. Happy now? My decision to vote with my wallet was pretty much already made by that point.

Why is there no ignore function on this forum? I am using with great pleasure at other forums so I never see 'ole Les' posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    I received this e-mail yesterday from Shawn...

Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation...

Jamie
    Ahh, I emailed the general link on the PRS website and did not get an out of office.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Yup. The man is on a well deserved vacation.
    I have no doubt it is well deserved, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Rob,

I've been out of the office so I thought I'd post a reply here on the forum so that you didn't have to repost my email to you.
    Didn't realize you were out as the email address I wrote to did not kick back a message. Emails are usually replied to very quickly and honestly it seemed like direct communication was being avoided. Have a great vaca!

Why is there no ignore function on this forum?
    There is.
    1) Click on the username of the person you'd like to ignore.
    2) Click [View profile] from the drop-down menu that appears.
    3) Select [Add To Ignore List] from the options visible under their avatar.
    One Life