Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slider versus toggle

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    You have the same issues with a 5-way slider that you'd have with the rotary. "What position am I in?"
    I don't remember having had that problem with either a toggle or blade, as both are tactile and I can figure out in a split second where I'm at between sound and the touch.
    But then I have had problems figuring out what fret I'm on every once in a while.
    Last edited by NomadMike; 04-17-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Not at all! Just a glance at it and you know exactly where you are, unlike with the rotary. It's also easier to get to the switch when picking.

We all have our preferences, PRS isn't gonna please everyone out there.
    But Les," "just looking at it" can vary, depending on the viewing angle...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    RE: the rotary and the "hard twisting" technique, I'll certainly throw out there that I am not a gigging musician, and every single one of my rotary-equipped guitars have a fair amount of both sentimental and monetary value. Not sure how much wear and tear those legacy rotary switches and knobs can handle. Are they even made anymore?

I think from an ergonomic and pragmatic standpoint, if playing out regularly, I would insist on a toggle with mini-switches, like my Siggy & PG. When you look down, there is no doubt what everything is set to. There is no guessing about in-between positions because of the positive visual reference. Second choice would be replace the toggle with a blade.
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Paul explained an easy way to use the 5-way rotary, so you'd always know where you were...

Twist it hard, all the way in one direction and back off 1 or 2 clicks (you're now in the middle position), or, do the same in the opposite direction and simply back up to the position you want... It only takes a fraction of a second...

Too many people try to start at position 1 and count the clicks to 3, 4 or 5.
    The trouble I had was, in the heat of the moment, I'd reach for the knob and accidentally turn the tone down instead. I like that a switch is a completely different-feeling component. Just reach down and whack it. Plus if you EVER play a Fender, it makes it that much easier to transition back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by aduayer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, but if somebody have to explain "an easy way" to use a pick up selector it's because isn't what I need. if you want to change pick ups in the middle of a solo that rotary switch is not the right tool, at least to me. looks like, after PRS started to use the toggle and blade switches the guitars became more popular / user friendly .
    I do think the rotary put a lot of people off. At the time, though, it was the only way to get those switching options. Now there are high-quality four-pole or custom blade switches out there, so the change makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    Does the rotary switch offer combinations that can't be had with a 5 way blade?

I like the combinations the rotary offers but hate trying to switch it on the fly. The toggle looks better but loses some pickup options. The blade offers nice pickup combinations but can't split humbuckers by themselves. I have one with push/pulls on vol and tone pots with toggle, that works pretty well.
    It depends. The more recent (90's sometime) five-way rotary as well as the blade are designed to only get certain combos. Makes it easy to wire up, but you can't make changes. However, you can replace them with a four-pole, five-way rotary (what was used originally) or blade switch, respectively. Either offers identical capabilities that allow you a ton of different wiring options.

Splitting individually has to be done via extra switches like your push-pulls, or toggles (like the 408).
    --Garrett--

But Les," "just looking at it" can vary, depending on the viewing angle...
    Whaaaa?

Jamie, in positions 1 and 5 the switch is sitting right up against the guitar body, either toward you or away from you. Position 3 is straight up at a 90 degree angle. 2 and 4 are at 45 degree angles, again, either toward or away from you.

It's incredibly easy to see these positions from any reasonably common way of holding the guitar!

I can immediately tell with a single glance what position the switch is in whether I'm sitting or standing! I generally don't play lying down...

But in that eventuality, I can also easily tell by simply feeling the switch what the angle is, without having to fiddle with the switch in order to find out.

Neither of these can be done with the rotary (at least I can't, YMMV)!

Edit: It occurs to me that for some folks, tummies make it advisable to adjust one's strap so one can see controls more easily...
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Edit: It occurs to me that for some folks, tummies make it advisable to adjust one's strap so one can see controls more easily...
    One's tummy (mine specifically) is EXACTLY why I stay away from Ovation roundbacks...it's like playing lap steel...standing up!!! But I digress...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

On my SCT and ME I am happy with the toggle.
    But as an old Strat player I do favor the Blade
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Whaaaa?

Jamie, in positions 1 and 5 the switch is sitting right up against the guitar body, either toward you or away from you. Position 3 is straight up at a 90 degree angle. 2 and 4 are at 45 degree angles, again, either toward or away from you.

It's incredibly easy to see these positions from any reasonably common way of holding the guitar!

I can immediately tell with a single glance what position the switch is in whether I'm sitting or standing! I generally don't play lying down...

But in that eventuality, I can also easily tell by simply feeling the switch what the angle is, without having to fiddle with the switch in order to find out.

Neither of these can be done with the rotary (at least I can't, YMMV)!

It takes just as much time to look to see what position you're in than to "feel" what position you're in. If you play like Jimmy Page, you're gonna have a harder time seeing a switch than if you play like Tom Morello...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

It takes just as much time to look to see what position you're in than to "feel" what position you're in..
    It takes even less time to hear what position you're in, which for a bunch of dudes that debate over hearing the difference between amps, pedals, cables, speakers, strings, picks, batteries, tubes, finishes, woods, and pickups... Should be pretty f@ckin' easy.

To me, placement is more important than type of switch. Either is fine as long as it's located in an accessible place, but also not in certain places.

It's my one peeve with Strats. I hate the placement of the blade switch, whenever i wanted it in the highest position, i'd often knock it down a notch or 3 while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind the switch to the slider?
    I think Mike Ross told them they had to.
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I think Mike Ross told them they had to.
    Probably right.
    Plank Owner

I don't mind the slider in my Mira, but I am giving some thought to changing it from a 3-way with a push/pull to a 5-way with standard tone knob. I'm used to a 5-way after many years with Strats and the shorter throw seems much more natural.

The throw of the blade is one of the very minor peeves I have with the Mira.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    It takes even less time to hear what position you're in, which for a bunch of dudes that debate over hearing the difference between amps, pedals, cables, speakers, strings, picks, batteries, tubes, finishes, woods, and pickups... Should be pretty f@ckin' easy.
    BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    The throw of the blade is one of the very minor peeves I have with the Mira.
    I agree on the three-way blades. I've always fantasized that if I got a Mira, I'd replace it with a five way and ditch the mini toggle, or find something else to do with it. Either that or do up a custom guard with a proper toggle.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Stop, you're making sense and this is a guitar forum.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I feel right at home using all of the switching methods...my first PRS I acquired in 1994 had a three way toggle...my second in 97 had a five way rotary.....this was my number one up until 2006......as Sergio mentioned....your ear tells you where you are..... If this isn't coming easy...it's really just a function of spending time with it and getting used to it.... But I get that everyone has preferences....and Rotary's are not everyone's cup of tea....Jamie is also right...that quick trick that Paul mentioned works wonders...it's easy and fast....I did convert a number of guitars to three way with push pull from the five way rotary (not all of them though)...I wanted six sounds....I did miss that number 2 position (9 on the selector) when playing clean....what was weird---> after I had the PTC convert the guitars to three way I would constantly go for the rotary...I guess getting to know an instrument really well and then altering the switching setup can really mess you up....at least it did for me...I had to get to know them all over again....the 513, 305, DC3, and NF3 make sense due to the Fender lineage....that was intuitive too...and on the newer ones....I haven't spent enough time with a 408 to give a fair assessment....although Jeff has a great PRS killer quilt with this type of switching that I thought was really cool to play.....and the blade switches on the Customs....totally intuitive but still prefer either a rotary or three way push pull.... Grew up with that setup so seems very natural....now sweet switches....for how cool they are well...I would rather a tone knob and a sweet switch....or just a tone knob....again they are cool but not cool enough for me to give up the versatility of a tone knob.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 04-18-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    -Bob