Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Sound Setups

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    If it ain't broke...
    Thats pretty much my take. In my heart of hearts I know it's wrong, but I'm not going to be the jerk that puts his foot down. Let's play and have some fun.

Getting a new system is only about 25% of the solution. My youngest son (audio engineer) is too busy doing real pro stuff to bother with a weekend band, so we don't have anyone to run it. You think I'm anal retentive now about my tone, imagine the fun once we mic my rig! It's better that I just not know.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by pima651 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the differences between the Marshall JVM 410 and the new Archon? How do they compare in your experience?

Thanks....
    Well...they are very different sounding amps. If you're a stickler for trying to cop specific classic tones, the JVM is probably the ticket. On the other hand, the Archon to me...hands down....has a cooler gain tone than any of the 10,000 variants that you can set the JVM to. The Archon is not Marshall. Maybe more closely resembles Mesa, but that's not really doing it justice to compare it to that. The clean channel through a PRS V30 cab almost sounds like you're running through some vintage bass amp through an 8x12 of vintage Cerwin Vegas. The gain channel has a kick and punch that sounds good in any mix. Of the two, if I had to pick, I'd go with the Archon. I run it with the lead channel "volume" near 1 or 2 out of 10, and the lead Master wherever it wants to be for the application. That covers most any lead tone credibly, but has a unique character that is just a ton of fun. While the gain tone sounds great in a coverband environment (which is how I use it) some might prefer the JVM if you really like to get classic tones. On the other hand, I prefer the Archon clean channel for pedals, which can get you whatever you want if you've got the pedals...

I mention the Archon in this context, along with the Roadster and JVM, because they all seem to work very well regardless of Master Volume. I attribute this (right or wrong) to the fact that the core tone is set in the pre-amp on all three. Something like the DG30 or MDT takes on a very different character depending on MV setting. These amps sound good to me at most reasonable MV settings, but they sound different depending on MV setting. The Archon keeps its character all the way down to whisper settings.
    Last edited by aristotle; 04-29-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Thats pretty much my take. In my heart of hearts I know it's wrong, but I'm not going to be the jerk that puts his foot down. Let's play and have some fun.

Getting a new system is only about 25% of the solution. My youngest son (audio engineer) is too busy doing real pro stuff to bother with a weekend band, so we don't have anyone to run it. You think I'm anal retentive now about my tone, imagine the fun once we mic my rig! It's better that I just not know.
    If nobody is complaining about your levels in the audience, how could it be wrong?

Thanks aristotle, I appreciate your input! I just need to quit second guessing my decision and be patient for the Archon's arrival sometime next month!
    PRS Custom 24, McCarty Hollow Body ll 20th Anniversary, Ruby Riot 2, PRS Archon with PRS 2X12 Stealth Cabinet
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Had to throw that in!)

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    It never mattered for my bands what the PA was.

The girls were screaming too loudly for anyone to actually hear the band.
    Yeah, that happens to us, too. I just didn't want to admit it. At first, I thought they were saying "take that shirt down," but it turns out they were yelling "turn that sh!t down!"

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Yeah, that happens to us, too. I just didn't want to admit it. At first, I thought they were saying "take that shirt down," but it turns out they were yelling "turn that sh!t down!"
    Haha!

I always thought they were yelling "Take my skirt down."
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Haha!

I always thought they were yelling "Take my skirt down."
    Yeah, me too. Then I woke up.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Yeah, me too. Then I woke up.
    Yeah, just wait til you get to be my age.

You're so far from it, you don't even dream about it any more.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Yeah, just wait til you get to be my age.

You're so far from it, you don't even dream about it any more.
    Yeah and it just ends up being one of those "oops, I forgot to put on pants" dreams. Or was that just my last Tuesday?