Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Delay and Reverb Pedlals of Choice

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    OK guys, here is the real test, and both of my reverb pedals just kind of failed. I put them up against my Fender SRRI, and Tony Bruno stand alone reverb. On both of my reverbs, you can clearly hear a kind of delay between when you pick the note and when the verb starts. Or a swell of reverb. With the Fender and the bruno, the reverb is instantaneous. I have a Boss RV 2 which I like much better than the newer versions, but it alters the tone to much. Anyone have a real fender with tube reverb they can check there pedal against and see if its the same? I remember GP talking about this years ago. The fender and bruno true reverbs suround the note with verb, not trail behind the note. I thought I had great verbs up until I did a direct A/B, and the fender and bruno smoke them in this regard. Of course the pedals have way more flexablity, but I want my cake and be able to eat it too. So what can do it all without a rack size unit or breaking the bank? Please no guessing. You HAVE to have a fender to check it against. Just what I need to do, spend more $ on a verb pedal.
    Tag, I don't have a Fender so I'm not going to guess, just wanted to mention this just in case you aren't already aware of it -- if you have digital 'verb pedals.

    Many digital reverbs have a certain amount of "predelay" baked into the design of the chip, to simulate what happens in a room when a note is played; you don't hear reverb right away, it has to bounce off a surface in the room (wall, floor, ceiling) first. A real reverb in an amp generally happens right away, enveloping the note in the wash of simulated reverb; they didn't have predelay when the early reverb amps were invented.

    To add to this issue, in the fraction of a second that it takes to convert the signal from analog to digital and back again, it probably isn't going to be exactly like analog. This is because digital conversion from A to D and from D to A creates latency. If you remember using Pro Tools, there's some latency in monitoring as the converters do their work. It can be audible, or not.

    So it could be the predelay baked into the design that you're hearing, or the latency of the analog to digital and back to analog that you're hearing, or some combination of both.

    My guess is that to get what you want, you're going to have to use the Bruno standalone reverb with your non-reverb amps, which let's face it, is the real deal and why you bought it in the first place.

    Incidentally, the tiny bit of latency introduced in digital modeling amps causes them to not do as well on the attack of the transient part of the note, at least to my ears, and it's why I don't like using them.

    As an aside, I once had an all-analog Peavey rack mount spring reverb that sounded very good and has become something of a cult item among studio guys, but schlepping it around just became too much of a pain for me, so I sold it and learned to live with digital stuff.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 04-24-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Tag, I don't have a Fender so I'm not going to guess, just wanted to mention this just in case you aren't already aware of it -- if you have digital 'verb pedals.

    Many digital reverbs have a certain amount of "predelay" baked into the design of the chip, to simulate what happens in a room when a note is played; you don't hear reverb right away, it has to bounce off a surface in the room (wall, floor, ceiling) first. A real reverb in an amp generally happens right away, enveloping the note in the wash of simulated reverb; they didn't have predelay when the early reverb amps were invented.

    To add to this issue, in the fraction of a second that it takes to convert the signal from analog to digital and back again, it probably isn't going to be exactly like analog. This is because digital conversion from A to D and from D to A creates latency. If you remember using Pro Tools, there's some latency in monitoring as the converters do their work. It can be audible, or not.

    So it could be the predelay baked into the design that you're hearing, or the latency of the analog to digital and back to analog that you're hearing, or some combination of both.

    My guess is that to get what you want, you're going to have to use the Bruno standalone reverb with your non-reverb amps, which let's face it, is the real deal and why you bought it in the first place.

    Incidentally, the tiny bit of latency introduced in digital modeling amps causes them to not do as well on the attack of the transient part of the note, at least to my ears, and it's why I don't like using them.

    As an aside, I once had an all-analog Peavey rack mount spring reverb that sounded very good and has become something of a cult item among studio guys, but schlepping it around just became too much of a pain for me, so I sold it and learned to live with digital stuff.

    Hey Les,

    That sucks, but it makes sense. I HATE that delay. I always used verb onstage so I dont want that horrid delay. To me it makes it sound like a delay, and not verb. I use the Bruno or my Fenders reverb, but in the Quinn, like my old Dumble, I have to use a verb in the loop. Now thanks to this thread, I am cursed! All I hear and feel is that awful delay. I dont think the bruno would work in the loop, but I can give it a shot. Any ideas what analog verb would work in the pre out power in of the Dumble without the use of a Dumbleator? I have one, but I like the tone more without it. It seems to compress things a bit to much for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  3. #43
    Could you put the reverb in front of the amp with the Quinn?

    I don't know anything about the levels the loop wants to see, so I can't be of help there.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Could you put the reverb in front of the amp with the Quinn?

    I don't know anything about the levels the loop wants to see, so I can't be of help there.
    Hey Les,
    Yea, and it sounds unreal for cleans. The problem is with overdrive which is what i use the amp for, its putting the reverb before the OD section. I dont have to tell you what that sounds like. To put it it nicely, like ass. But you struck up my interest about something. Guess who has one of the those old killer sounding Peavey rack valverbs?
    Thats right, me. I have not used it in years and years, and forgot I even had it until you brought it up. Its in storage in my basement. maybe that will work perfectly in the in/out of the Dumble! The Roomate works great because it has a send control for the level. I cant remember if the PV had that or not. If it does, it may be just the thing. That thing sounded great!

  5. #45
    Senior Member aduayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    796
    Delay's - I just love TC's Flashback 4x, but right now I am using and enjoying very much Strymon's TimeLine
    Reverb - not a fan of reverb, but huge fan of Strymon's and TC's stuff. so that's what I would suggest.
    Just saw Eventide's H9 the other day and that unit made me re.think my board. Almost getting one to use with my Strymon's Mobius & Timeline

  6. #46
    Senior Member shinksma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,034
    Apparently this thread has it's own form of reverb/echo - Tag's post is there twice!


  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    Apparently this thread has it's own form of reverb/echo - Tag's post is there twice!


    No idea how that happened.

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kingdom of Denmark
    Posts
    5
    Strymon gives me the most beautiful reverb and delay





  9. #49
    Junior Member pima651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az.
    Posts
    42
    I'm at a loss as far as effects go. I've tried stomp box units over the years and went to all in one units. I now have a Boss GT-10. I'm really not happy with it at all and am toying with the idea of going back to individual stomp boxes. My problem is I'm a retard when it comes to that side of guitar and it's easy when everything is done for me (GT-10 presets). I still have a Cry Baby, a Boss MT 2 Metal Zone and a Route 66 OD pedal. So I have a start and am looking at Delay's and such.

    What is the consensus on the multi effects pedal boards like the GT-10 and alike?
    PRS Custom 24, McCarty Hollow Body ll 20th Anniversary, Ruby Riot 2, PRS Archon with PRS 2X12 Stealth Cabinet
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Had to throw that in!)

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by pima651 View Post
    What is the consensus on the multi effects pedal boards like the GT-10 and alike?
    I'm not sure there really is a consensus. There are a lot of players who prefer the GT-10 kind of thing because it's compact, and with a little tweaking, an awful lot of players can find sounds they like - of course the key is digging in and tweaking the sounds to your liking. For an all in one, the GT-10 is also pretty deep.

    I'm more of a traditionalist, and like separate pedals, so that I can choose each one for the tones I like, mix and match, and if I decide I'd prefer to use a different sound of one kind or another on a project, it's just a matter of switching out one pedal.

    But I've also used the TC Electronic all-in-one, and it sounded great. So I don't look down my nose at all-in-ones.

    Boss stuff has a sound, as with everything else. Some folks love the sound, some don't. It's really a personal thing.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  11. #51
    Happy Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,584
    My biggest issue with all-in-ones relates to the latency/drop out when changing presets.

    I've used the T-Rex Magnus, and am pretty impressed.

  12. #52
    Junior Member pima651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az.
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I'm not sure there really is a consensus. There are a lot of players who prefer the GT-10 kind of thing because it's compact, and with a little tweaking, an awful lot of players can find sounds they like - of course the key is digging in and tweaking the sounds to your liking. For an all in one, the GT-10 is also pretty deep.

    I'm more of a traditionalist, and like separate pedals, so that I can choose each one for the tones I like, mix and match, and if I decide I'd prefer to use a different sound of one kind or another on a project, it's just a matter of switching out one pedal.

    But I've also used the TC Electronic all-in-one, and it sounded great. So I don't look down my nose at all-in-ones.

    Boss stuff has a sound, as with everything else. Some folks love the sound, some don't. It's really a personal thing.
    Thanks, I think I'll wait till the Archon arrives next month and see what my gut tells me. I've tried tweaking the GT 10 but just don't get it. I think my ADDHD kicks in and I get bored and just want to plug and play! I am really liking what I saw with the Strymon shown above as far as delay goes and the TC Electronics Flashback 4X looks pretty cool as well!
    PRS Custom 24, McCarty Hollow Body ll 20th Anniversary, Ruby Riot 2, PRS Archon with PRS 2X12 Stealth Cabinet
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Had to throw that in!)

  13. #53
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    8,033
    Quote Originally Posted by pima651 View Post
    What is the consensus on the multi effects pedal boards like the GT-10 and alike?
    I 've used a ton of multi fx stuff over the years and still have some littering the studio as we speak. The Boss stuff is pretty dope but I couldn't get down with the distortions and COSM amp models(GT-3 and GT-6) and somewhat limited effects structure, like I had to decide between comp or eq, or between phaser and auto wah in a preset. (at least on those units I mentioned)

    There is always a compromise with those things, the Digitech stuff had nice drive sounds and amazing midi continuous controllers but the tuner sucks. The Korg had some cool envelope filter stuff but the interface blew, the new Zoom thingys rock but have two digital spiky frequencies that contribute noise in all the amp models that needs to be notched out and the pitch effects are wonky... The TC stuff is almost perfect but pricey enough to warrant buying individual effects... I keep trying to find an "all in one" but if I need to supplement it with another pedal, then the convenience is lost.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I keep trying to find an "all in one" but if I need to supplement it with another pedal, then the convenience is lost.
    Yeah, that's why I don't have an all in one I think. Once you have to have the thing, and a pedalboard, you might as well just have a pedalboard!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  15. #55
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Creve Coeur, MO
    Posts
    6,042
    I have all three of the big Strymon Pedals. I prefer my amps reverb to the pedal unless I have going for a sound the amp simply can't do.
    Plank Owner

  16. #56
    Junior Member pima651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az.
    Posts
    42
    I've just ordered an Archon and they have no reverb. I'm a little concerned about that but the GT 10 has reverb and if I do go to an individual pedal board I'll just buy a reverb pedal. Strymon's sound really cool but they're expensive as all get up!
    PRS Custom 24, McCarty Hollow Body ll 20th Anniversary, Ruby Riot 2, PRS Archon with PRS 2X12 Stealth Cabinet
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Had to throw that in!)

  17. #57
    Senior Member Raymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    354
    Has anyone tried or have Hall of Fame's reverb pedal. I've seen other similar topic threads in other forums before and that seems to be quite a popular choice and with my Bogner Atma incoming (no reverb but has FX loop), that is on the top of my list until I see all these digital reverb pedals here in this thread.
    PRS Custom-24 10-Top Black Gold, Stripped 58 Blue Multi Foil
    Taylor T5-S Red Edgeburst, GS Mini Mahogany

  18. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baltimore MD area
    Posts
    78
    I've had very good luck with the Digitech Hardwire RV-7 reverb pedal in the loop of several high-end amps (Bogners and ENGLs.) In many cases the level is very hot in these loops, and the RV-7 has enough headroom to handle that without a problem. The TC Hall of Fame is supposed to be very good as well, but supposedly doesn't have quite as much input level headroom. The Digitech uses Lexicon reverb algorithms and they sound great...and the price is right, too ($125-$150). Also, they're built like a tank. Recommended!
    PRS/Thorn/Hamer USA ==> ENGL/Bogner/Marshall

  19. #59
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Has anyone tried or have Hall of Fame's reverb pedal. I've seen other similar topic threads in other forums before and that seems to be quite a popular choice and with my Bogner Atma incoming (no reverb but has FX loop), that is on the top of my list until I see all these digital reverb pedals here in this thread.
    I have the TC HOF Reverb. I like it a lot. I really only use the plate and spring reverb settings, but it is very versatile. I also had the mini HOF which was cool, but you have to use the toneprint editor to load anything other than the default tone.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4343 DC245, PS #4826 McCarty Singlecut, PS #5330 DC245, Floyd Custom 24, P245 Semi-Hollow
    Powered by Friedman and Dr. Z

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •