Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight of SE models

weight of SE models

My santana is 6.5 Lbs +/- any error in my digi scale. I love that and appriciate the tone of a light guitar. However, i also like the very different tone of a heavier one at say 8 Lbs or more because the sustain and attack are different. Not necassarily better, but a different tone i would like to have to. so i'm considering a stoptail SE if i can find one at 8Lbs at least.. And i was hoping either someone here knows the average weight of certain models or if there was a chart somewhere?

I've owned and played LPs and other guitars that were 10 pounds and to me weight did nothing for the tone. I think the bridge and pickups would have more to do with sustain and attack than the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    I've owned and played LPs and other guitars that were 10 pounds and to me weight did nothing for the tone. I think the bridge and pickups would have more to do with sustain and attack than the weight.
    Well, for me every light guitar i've owned w/o exception has a very different dynamic. So for me it does matter.

My Akesson is pretty hefty, and I love the tone - very thick, punchy, and the treble isn't harsh. I think most of the singlecut style SE's with the thicker body style weigh in at 8+ pounds. Sweetwater lists the weight on all in stock guitars, and lets you see the actual guitar when you buy online, which is nice. A few of the smaller online PRS retailers do as well, I believe.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - Mira X - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by dazco View Post
    Well, for me every light guitar i've owned w/o exception has a very different dynamic. So for me it does matter.
    Then go for it for all it's worth.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    My Akesson is pretty hefty, and I love the tone - very thick, punchy, and the treble isn't harsh. I think most of the singlecut style SE's with the thicker body style weigh in at 8+ pounds.
    +1...my Mr. Freddo is 8lb 3oz. Love it - I think the ebony board and the ginormous bridge help the punchiness, because I had both an SE245 and a Bernie for short times in the past that were just too dark for my taste.
    1990, 91, 92 & 94 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2004 & 05 SE EGs
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited x2
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2015 S2 Vela | 2015 PS #5583 Paul's Guitar

My Akesson is pretty hefty, and I love the tone - very thick, punchy, and the treble isn't harsh. I think most of the singlecut style SE's with the thicker body style weigh in at 8+ pounds. Sweetwater lists the weight on all in stock guitars, and lets you see the actual guitar when you buy online, which is nice. A few of the smaller online PRS retailers do as well, I believe.
    Thats what i figured but i wasn't sure. Thanks. I'm really wanting that Bernie Marsden. No, i'm LUSTING after it ! Bound neck, wraptail, and if it comes in around 8 Lbs i have no doubt it'll give near any LP out there a run for it's money and play better to boot. I'm really hooked on this PRS stuff ! Ummmmm.. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEBM/

Quote Originally Posted by dazco View Post
    Thats what i figured but i wasn't sure. Thanks. I'm really wanting that Bernie Marsden. No, i'm LUSTING after it ! Bound neck, wraptail, and if it comes in around 8 Lbs i have no doubt it'll give near any LP out there a run for it's money and play better to boot. I'm really hooked on this PRS stuff ! Ummmmm.. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEBM/
    DO IT

Don't make me come over there and force you to put your credit card info into the computer...
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - Mira X - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

DO IT

Don't make me come over there and force you to put your credit card info into the computer...
    You won't have to twist my arm too far. I'm watching a bernie M auction but it'll probably go for regular street price. I have too many guitars tho so i may wait till i can sell at least 2 or 3. Maybe just have nothing but a PRS collection. I think it would be complete for me with my santana, a soapbar, and a bernie. All the bases covered...the light trem equipped slightly fenderish santana, a soappbar for the P90 tones, and a bernie to fill the LP standard slot. I'd have to sell my gibson P90 tho and as much as i think these SE's are better, i do love that thing. Oh man.....i gotta come to my senses !

I had a lp traditional that weighed over 10 Ibs and couldn't take the weight. Bought a dgt that is just under 8 Ibs. Tone wise, the dgt has much better low end and mids. Comes down to the pickups, wood grain and bridge IMO
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24, 2015 Esp Ltd Ironcorss, 2015 Ibanez RG 2550E
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Orange TH30 . Saxon 2x12 cabinet

Of the three SEs I own, the 245 and cu24 both weigh 7lbs 14oz. My ZM is 6.5 lbs. I like lower weight guitars. ENJOY!!!

You guys just haven't noticed it yet, but it's not pickups and hardware. It's weight, and i've noticed the same exact difference between all light guitars and those with more weight regardless of hardware or pickups. (and i change hardware and pups a lot) Theres a much more direct attack than with hevier guitars and more punch or girth behind the notes. Don't get me wrong, i like both, they're just different flavors. But i have lightness in the santana, so if i get another PRS i want more weight to have that other dynamic. The guy on ebay with the bernie m model got back to me with the weight. 8.5 Lbs, perfect. It;s an auction tho so not sure whether i'll have a chance to get a deal.

And that's why I use my 10 pounder for heavy rock and my Mira for light rock.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    And that's why I use my 10 pounder for heavy rock and my Mira for light rock.
    When you say 10 pounder you mean LP, or is there a PRS that heavy?

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    You will LOVE the Bernie!!!

Mine comes in at a hair under 8lbs... Got to say I'm not massive on light guitars (Not that I want a lead weight strapped to my shoulder either) but I like a bit of weight... * - 8.5 feels about right.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1, POD HD 500X
    Wishing for a U.S. made Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    You will LOVE the Bernie!!!

Mine comes in at a hair under 8lbs... Got to say I'm not massive on light guitars (Not that I want a lead weight strapped to my shoulder either) but I like a bit of weight... * - 8.5 feels about right.
    Well, i'm not yet sure i'm going to do it. I'm still trying to decide whether to sell my other guitars, and even if i do the bernie might have to wait or i might even pass because i really must have a P90 guitar. So if my LP special goes i would have to fill that spot with a PRS soapbar. That bernie will probably be my 3rd PRS if i even go with 3. But being that i already have a 2xHB PRS in the Santana, getting the bernie would be almost redundant. Granted, the stop bar bridge and extra weight will make it different, but not enough to make it a necessity, more like a luxury. Anyways, it's not east to decide to sell all the others even if i do feel they are not as good as the SE's.

My Custom 22 is 8 lb 8 oz. I have never had a SE that heavy. They've all be pretty lightweight. My Mira is the heaviest of any I have played and it's a keeper, though I don't have a weight on that one. I like my SEs but really don't have the same bond with them as I do the Mira and CU22. They're both a cut above and I have wondered whether the weight has anything to do with it. It's this endless, years long search to quantify why some guitars and/or pickups are magical and some are not.
    The Bovine Fury <-- New Album Yes, Please available NOW!
    05 Custom 22 / 07 Mira / 08 Baritone SE / 03 Santana SE

My Tremonti is 8lbs. 7 oz. and i've seen them go over 9.

Aren't Mira's usually pretty light? Sweetwater had two on sale and both were under 7 lbs.

My Bernie weighs in at 7.6lbs. I could almost swear that the SE245s that I have tried weighed more than that.
    PRS DGT Standard | PRS SE Bernie Marsden | Partscaster Stratocaster | Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Quote Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
    Aren't Mira's usually pretty light? Sweetwater had two on sale and both were under 7 lbs.
    Mine is 6.8.