Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weight of SE models

My Bernie is 8.7. My Mira is 6.2. For me, weight makes a difference in tone. Perfect weight for me is 8.5+ for vintage tone, 7+ for modern tone. And yes pups, bridges, nuts, and caps all make a difference, but the thickness of the mahogany (which is where the weight comes from) does add a character to the tone. Let the debate continue...
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS 2 channel "H", PRS SE50, Mesa RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender HRD

Ya know, if I could just get the weight of my guitar, the type of wood and the finish just right there's no telling how awesome I could sound.

I have 2 "identical" SE ZM's One weighs 7.4 the other weighs 8.4.
    My SE EG is 8 even

I checked out the SE's at GC yesterday and they had no bernies but they had 245's, the same guitar minus the binding and tuners. They were MUCH heavier than my santana. (mine is 6.5 Lbs) But i also found that my santana is light even compared to 2 other santanas there. So i have an exceptionally light SE. But i love the thing and since i plan on either a bernie or a 245 i'm glad it's light because it will make the 2 even more different from each other. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a bernie the last few days, but there are none local so i'd have to buy online and i'm REALLY gun shy when it comes to that due to bad experiences. I really like to hold and play it b4 i buy regardless of return policies. Otherwise i'd have one in a few days. Also, i still am a bit unsure whether i should opt for the soapbar instead and sell my LP special P90.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dazco View Post
    I checked out the SE's at GC yesterday and they had no bernies but they had 245's, the same guitar minus the binding and tuners. They were MUCH heavier than my santana. (mine is 6.5 Lbs) But i also found that my santana is light even compared to 2 other santanas there. So i have an exceptionally light SE. But i love the thing and since i plan on either a bernie or a 245 i'm glad it's light because it will make the 2 even more different from each other. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a bernie the last few days, but there are none local so i'd have to buy online and i'm REALLY gun shy when it comes to that due to bad experiences. I really like to hold and play it b4 i buy regardless of return policies. Otherwise i'd have one in a few days. Also, i still am a bit unsure whether i should opt for the soapbar instead and sell my LP special P90.
    I'm with you on that... I've bought a couple of guitars online (because none where local) and it's been a disaster. That said... I've made a balls up a couple of times when trying in the store. Sometimes you need a good few hours, days, weeks even before you know if it's a keeper. If the staff aren't accommodating or it's full of kids making a racket you can still get it wrong even with the thing in your hand. The Bernie felt right the minute I touched it and that hasn't changed but guitars are so personal that each and every one will give a different experience. Having said all that, The SE's and the US PRS's are pretty much the only brand I'd feel comfortable enough buying online (in terms of quality).
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Weight means nothing tonewise. My SE Soapbar II is six pounds of beastly tone.

I've played duds of all weights (brands other than PRS, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Weight means nothing tonewise. My SE Soapbar II is six pounds of beastly tone.
    Perhaps, but would that SE soapy 2 sound different if it had a thicker body and cap? I also have a soapy 2 and I love it, but the tone comes from the P90's as much as the wood and if it were thicker it would have a different tone. Better? Depends on the ears listening to it, but I'd say it would sound different.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Mira

Weight makes a huge difference, but some can't hear the difference between a strat with a maple board and one with a rosewood, something that to lots of people including myself is night and day. So same thing with weight....some can't tell. So maybe u just don't hear/feel it. I do and it's major and obvious. But it has zero to do with one being a "dud". It's simply different. I like both, but they are very different.

I'll bite, what are the physics of weight affecting a guitar's tone?

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Im not a physicist, I'm a guitar player. Most results to me are just results and any reasoning behind them would be speculation on my part. I can tell you the result, but not the scientific cause beyond the fact it's weight difference i hear/feel. But if you want me to speculate i will. However much of this is fact as far as i'm concerned. Some is speculation to one degree or another. You can put a single coil in a LP and it will sound different but still sound like an LP. Same with a strat. A sc won't make a LP sound like a strat and a HB won't make a strat sound like a LP. Just like listening to rod stewart sing thru every mic imaginable, he will always sound like rod, just with different EQ. The reason is the wood type, hardware, and the design all cause the string's vibrational pattern to create a certain voice. And thats what the pickup reproduces. So weight obviously creates a big difference in the string's vibration. Anyone who questions the fact the way a string vibrates is what determines the guitars sound needs only look at an extreme example...pinch harmonics. No one will question thats a radical departure from a string plucked normally. Point is, the parts on a guitar, thier design and the material and weight all have a huge impact on the final tone due to how they affect the vibrational pattern.

The result to me is that lighter guitars have a wider dynamic while heavier creates a narrower one with more sustain because that is part and parcel of that narrower dynamic. The heavier one has more focus and a different harder and more immediate attack and less wooliness. in the note after it's picked. I love the dynamics in light guitars usually and that attracts me to them. But like i said i love both. It's just that for me dynamics are the most important part of the recipe when it comes to clean to mildly dirty tones. I live for that stuff. But when it comes to gigging, i always found a heavier guitar just cut thru and worked better. I think i enjoy lighter ones more those. They're just more fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    I don't profess to be an expert so this can only be opinion but I'll tell you what I think. McCarty must have thought there was a difference because PRSH added to the Hog on Cu22's when he came up with the McCarty after learning from the man. Now maybe that decision was only because he thought more people would buy it because of the history of the LP and was trying to get closer to that. I don't know, but the fact is they did change it and people do claim the McCarty has great tone and sustain. The later built SC also has a thicker body. The relatively recent Bernie also has thicker Hog. It has been my experience that the thicker ones have more bottom end and sustain very well. It makes sense to me if the reason was that with more wood to travel through, the longer wavelengths of sound (bass) travel easier/longer than the high ones (fog horns are low for the same reason), and that is why they stick around longer and the sustain is improved.

In thinner(lighter) bodies the mid and higher freguency waves don't get erased as fast as the low ones do and so the tone seems more top end than bottom end. The maple cap is put on for a reason and when Gibson did it, it wasn't for looks. It was for tone. It keeps the highs around and and the hog is for the bottom end. At least that's the way I'm thinking about it. Could be wrong...

I have a 2011 Tremonti SE that I recently needed to replace, so I bought another Tremonti SE (2013). The guitars look the same in shape and finish but the 2013 model is over 2 pounds lighter then the 2011, 6lbs vs just over 8lbs. Neither guitar is modified and they do sound different. Did PRS changed something in the SE models?