Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The X-Ray Thread

The X-Ray Thread

I'd like to rebuild an authoritative thread showing the hollow cavities of various models (proto, PS, or production).

I once had an X-Ray of my Sig LTD but lost it. I am sure someone out there has a copy.

Please post images you may have of PRS X-Rays along with any details you might have about the model.
    One Life

Re: The X-Ray Thread

Limited Edition: Cedar top, Tune-o-Matic Bridge...

I'll try to find the others I have...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Semi-hollow Singlecut. 90 made.

Weight-releived Singlecut.

Early semi-hollow?

One Life

Just a note. The one showing the channels (from Martin Music) is a "Singlecut", not an "SC245".

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS
    Just a note. The one showing the channels (from Martin Music) is a "Singlecut", not an "SC245".
    I am confused. I thought just the SC245's and SC250's had the weight relief channels!

No, towards the end of the Singlecut life, we started doing the channels for weight relief. But as far as I know, when the SC245 and SC250's came on board, the weight relief stopped. There maybe a handful of weight relieved SC245 or SC250's with channels, but not many( if any).

The Tremonti was never weight relieved per Mark's request.

No, towards the end of the Singlecut life, we started doing the channels for weight relief. But as far as I know, when the SC245 and SC250's came on board, the weight relief stopped. There maybe a handful of weight relieved SC245 or SC250's with channels, but not many( if any).

I've got a Sunburst 245 that's barely 7.5 lbs, seems extremely light. Since my x-ray machine is on the fritz, is there an easy way to tell if it has channels? (I don't know if I could hear them tapping around the top or not?)

Not the best, but this is an Rtist II trem...

Too many and never enough...

Malpractice:

Quote Originally Posted by dprather

I've got a Sunburst 245 that's barely 7.5 lbs, seems extremely light. Since my x-ray machine is on the fritz, is there an easy way to tell if it has channels? (I don't know if I could hear them tapping around the top or not?)

I'm not sure about the "Sunburst" series. I'l have to check into that.

Would it be possible to get the chambers partially filled with some pebbles or beads? This way I wouldn't need to reach for one of those egg shakers to play some percussion - I could shake my guitar in front of the microphone.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim
    Would it be possible to get the chambers partially filled with some pebbles or beads? This way I wouldn't need to reach for one of those egg shakers to play some percussion - I could shake my guitar in front of the microphone.
    Now there's a visual. :shock:

:lol:
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by hippietim
    That's what headbangers do, just with their skulls... Lots of room in those craniums apparently. :lol:

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar

Shawn, I'm confused, but I'm sure you can help by answering this question:

Alot of us have been operating under the assumption that all SC245s were weight relieved with the exception of special runs that were specifically noted as being solid/non-relieved such as the Willcutt's Wood Library run. Your statement above implies that the SC245s were in fact not weight relieved except for the "not many if any" handful. Can you verify the weight relief issue for SC245s. Were they, or were they not?
    Last edited by tdarian; 05-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

The tone chambers!

wielding the wood & wire george johnson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdarian View Post

A lot of us have been operating under the assumption that all SC245s were weight relieved with the exception of special runs that were specifically noted as being solid/non-relieved such as the Willcutt's Wood Library run.
    This is because it's a fact.

Absolutely weight-relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by george johnson View Post
    This is because it's a fact.

Absolutely weight-relieved.
    And you know this how?

wielding the wood & wire george johnson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taller View Post
    And you know this how?
    Currently own three of them (SC245's) and I've played four or five others. Every one exhibited
    the diffused/laid-back midrange qualities associated with this construction method.

Contemplated the possibility that, through sheer coincidence, each of the handful of
    weight-relieved examples that were produced went through my hands. While I suppose that's possible, it's certainly not likely.

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure George is right based upon our collective historical understanding, but it would be nice if Shawn could clarify his earlier remarks on the topic, which began with the words "as far as I know".
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by george johnson View Post
    Currently own three of them (SC245's) and I've played four or five others. Every one exhibited
    the diffused/laid-back midrange qualities associated with this construction method.

Contemplated the possibility that, through sheer coincidence, each of the handful of
    weight-relieved examples that were produced went through my hands. While I suppose that's possible, it's certainly not likely.
    Well, I admire your Eric Johnson-like ability to discern the subtle tonal differences in a guitar that has a few channels cut into it, but I'm more inclined to listen to what Shawn is telling us here, and I await his 'official' response to this matter.