Thread: I need to purchase a switch or a Pedal?

I need to purchase a switch or a Pedal?

Greetings,

I am about to purchase a Blackstar ID30. Its a Solid State Amp, perfect for my apartment use. I play alot of songs that go from clean tone to crunch/distortion. So what will be the better option?
    -BlackStar 4 Channel switch 89.99
    -Regular 1 Channel switch 49.99? Regular 2 Channel Switch?
    -MXR distortion 87' Pedal 79.99, so its a bit more flexible when I want to get the crunch I want, since I can use it as a switch or to add effects. Plus when I upgrade my amp to tube amp, I am not stuck with the Channel switch which is kinda like a one trick pony kinda thing lol

On a side note, does the switches have to be Blackstar? can be it compatible with lets say fenders switch? Thanks guys!

Pedals are as additive as guitars and often times a great way to add to your sound.
    I am a pedal junkie
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII, CU24
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

But if my Solid State effects AMP already has a great distortion channel, would you still recommend getting a pedal over a switch?

Since the ID series already has two great high gain OD channels, I would get the FS-10 foot controller.
    http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/fs10/

I bought one, and I can use it with all three of my ID amps.
    Also if you do not have a tuner pedal, it has one in it which uses the built in one in the amp.

Plus you can store a ton of presets with this controller too and access the ones you have saved on your amp or with the Insider software.
    Make sure you get the software too.
    http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk/

On the ID 15 and 30 there is no midrange tone knob, but you can access it with the Insider software hooked up to the amps.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Since the ID series already has two great high gain OD channels, I would get the FS-10 foot controller.
    http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/fs10/

I bought one, and I can use it with all three of my ID amps.
    Also if you do not have a tuner pedal, it has one in it which uses the built in one in the amp.

Plus you can store a ton of presets with this controller too and access the ones you have saved on your amp or with the Insider software.
    Make sure you get the software too.
    http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk/

On the ID 15 and 30 there is no midrange tone knob, but you can access it with the Insider software hooked up to the amps.

Hi Cory,

Could you tell me if you have noticed any slight delay with the footswitch from going from one channel to another. Some users, have stated that they noticed a very slight delay between the switch when going through the channels. They described it as a weird transition where one channels fades out then fades back into the next channel.

Thanks for the help fellas!

I will have to pay attention next time I use it.
    I really do not use the foot controller too much.
    I am mainly sitting on a guitar stool in front of the two IDs, and I just twist the channel knob, but I will mess around with the foot controller next weekend to see if there is a delay or not.

The built in tuner is OK, but I can recommened a much better pedal for that.
    I bought the first edition for myself and my son, but since then I have bought two more of their better one.
    The newer Polytune is much brighter and easier to read.
    Best part is you can do the normal one string at a time, or do all six strings at once.
    Incredible tuner for the $$$.

TC Electronic Guitar Tuner 966120001 Polytune 2 Guitar Pedal Tuner

All six strings at once

One string at a time