Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Center Drpos PRS USA Made Guitar Line

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Well, for me, in Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the country, this means my local USA PRS dealers just went down to three in the Metro area.

Dealer #1 - Phoenix Guitar Center is a platinum dealer. Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa and Avondale are not, except SEs.

Dealer #2 - Bizarre Guitars. Locally owned. This is where I bought my black CU22 new in 2006. If you want a US made PRS from them, they have about six to choose from, and not a single one was made in the 2010s, but of course priced at 2014 prices - and I bet they wonder why they don't sell many/any.

Dealer #3 - Cave Creek Guitar company. Locally owned. An hour round trip drive to a small hole in the wall shop, they might stock 2-3 PRS guitars. If you're lucky, that is, because they have zero inventory online. Being able to gawk over online inventories gets me to drive places buy things.

If anything, I see opportunity in all this... maybe I should become a PRS dealer. Except I am sort of risk adverse when it comes to this sort of thing.
    Chicago isn't much better, being the 3rd largest market. The only dealer in the city besides GC is Chicago Music Exchange. They might have about 8-10 new models, but some of them are 2-3 years old. They mostly cater to the G and F crowd or hipsters who want a sh*tty beat looking Fano. Most of the area GCs have had little core line inventory except the Arlington Heights store but they had more than a few on that clearance list.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    PRS Amps - Archon

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Chicago isn't much better, being the 3rd largest market. The only dealer in the city besides GC is Chicago Music Exchange.
    Until we open "Ye Old Paul Reed Smith Shoppe"

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    I wonder if it will become easier to become a PRS dealer.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

If people keep buying PRS, the market share increase will dictate to stores to carry more. They're in the business of making money and they aren't going to make a move unless they have data that says stock more of XXX brand.

I'll buy online until the shift inevitably occurs!

Quote Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
    If people keep buying PRS, the market share increase will dictate to stores to carry more. They're in the business of making money and they aren't going to make a move unless they have data that says stock more of XXX brand.

I'll buy online until the shift inevitably occurs!
    This is basically true, but in any given company their are idealogies and variables, and GC has a lot of them along with some issues. These circumstances do not always align with other companies idealogies and variables. Case in point, Hughes and Kettner, Mesa, and obviously to some degree, PRS. Many high end boutique companies cannot or choose not to meet the expectations of a retailer such as GC and politely go the other way. I applaude PRS's decision. H&K and Mesa had restrictions on GC that GC no longer liked, hence no more Mesa and limited H&K. I speculate the same with PRS and maybe some supply and demand issues as well, like I pointed out in another post. GC wants to blow them out like they do other brands. That translates to a cheaper over priced product in the first place to allow blowouts without losing money. PRS is no such beast. Goes back to each companies variables and what they agree or not agree to work with. They have worked out a deal that works for both of them and what is left is clearing out the inventory of what obviously did not work out.

At least with PRS I'm now confident buying online, I'd take a chance on EBMM too, so I don't need or care much about GC.
    I really hope PRS never becomes a blow out brand for GC.

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    That's one good thing about PRS (Amongst many others!). You can guarantee the quality, so providing you know you're going to like the neck shape or other details you can safely buy online. I still prefer going into a shop to try before buying overall.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I like going to the shop also, but they don't have the same vibe that they did when I was younger (which could be me), but I'm thinking online is the future, but will depend on quality, consistency and trust in the manufacturer.

The GC here in Madison is a tiny store... usually more empty spaces on the wall than filled spaces, but there's plenty of amps all over the place, lol. I've never seen a core PRS there, even mixed in with their "behind the counter" guitars. There's almost always at least an SE Santana, SE Custom, and some used SE's available.

Im personally done with GC though, I have no desire to ever do business with them again, but that's my problem. That being said, it makes buying instruments tricky, because I hate buying stuff online. Luckily Dave's Guitar Shop is only a little over an hour away, and from the looks of his site, he's got a VERY nice selection of PRS guitars and amps. I can't wait to have the money to just walk in and buy almost any guitar I want :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mezzio View Post
    The GC here in Madison is a tiny store... usually more empty spaces on the wall than filled spaces, but there's plenty of amps all over the place, lol. I've never seen a core PRS there, even mixed in with their "behind the counter" guitars. There's almost always at least an SE Santana, SE Custom, and some used SE's available.

Im personally done with GC though, I have no desire to ever do business with them again, but that's my problem. That being said, it makes buying instruments tricky, because I hate buying stuff online. Luckily Dave's Guitar Shop is only a little over an hour away, and from the looks of his site, he's got a VERY nice selection of PRS guitars and amps. I can't wait to have the money to just walk in and buy almost any guitar I want :-)
    I hear you there. I grew up in SW WI and Madison used to have a couple super shops that are now long gone due to GC. I am in the twin cities now and Dave's is 3 hours one way or I would just do all my shopping there. They got a $2 million PRS order in earlier this spring so should be some inventory there.

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    That's one good thing about PRS (Amongst many others!). You can guarantee the quality, so providing you know you're going to like the neck shape or other details you can safely buy online. I still prefer going into a shop to try before buying overall.
    Well said, Mike. In my experience, you can trust PRS quality all the way.

Goldtop Lloyd
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

At the GC in my town (Amarillo, Texas), the PRS stock is slim to none. They had the same SAS in the store for years, and it was so dinged up from people 'trying it' and banging on it that they couldn't get anyone interested in buying it. I don't know what ever happened to it; I stopped going in the store for a year or more, and when I finally did go back the SAS was gone.

Over the years they've had a few SEs here and there, but that's it. They've changed managers and most of their staff in the last year, but the previous manager told me that we (Amarillo) were a secondary market and that the company had no intention of that location ever stocking anything but the odd SE from time to time. He said that they could probably order anything from PRS that I wanted, and when I asked about timeframes, etc., I was told a minimum of three months up to as much as a year. When I said 'Well, God help me if I want to order a Private Stock!', the reply was 'what's a Private Stock?'

I'm not trying to bash GC; I'm just stating my opinion. And my opinion is that the GC here is awful. You have to practically beg someone to help you, and most of the staff are unable to answer even the most simple question about a guitar or amp other than '________ (insert famous artist's name) plays 'em.'

True story: One day I was in the Amarillo GC looking at books, and there was a lady at the service counter who had bought a new Epiphone acoustic from them a few days earlier as a gift for her daughter. She had brought the guitar back in because she had gotten it home then decided it needed new strings (which of course GC had not offered to her during the original deal). She kept asking for help, and the salesman behind the counter - who happened to be their number one sales guy and right hand man of the manager - kept putting her off, telling her they were too busy right then to do string changes and that if she wanted to leave the guitar they would try to have it done and ready for her 'sometime next week'. The woman had already bought a set of strings when she first came into the store, and was holding them in her hand, yet nobody would help her.

I finished up and was leaving when she finally got disgusted and decided to leave also, so we happened to end up together outside the store. She stopped me and asked if I worked there. When I told her I didn't, she asked me if I could recommend another music store in town that might help her. I said no and we started talking. She was so mad and disappointed that she was almost in tears. To shorten up this story a bit, she ended up following me to my apartment. She parked beside my pickup and I went in and got my toolbox. It was a pretty day, so I dropped my tailgate, and we sat and talked while I changed the strings on her daughter's new guitar, cleaned it, tuned it, and got it ready to go.

I was glad to help her, but she should have been able to get GC to do everything I did for her. The fact that they not only didn't do it at the time of the original sale, but refused to do it later on when she was practically begging them for service, speaks volumes. Even if I could afford a new guitar, GC wouldn't be able to discount anything enough to get my business.

Lloyd
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    At the GC in my town (Amarillo, Texas), the PRS stock is slim to none. They had the same SAS in the store for years, and it was so dinged up from people 'trying it' and banging on it that they couldn't get anyone interested in buying it. I don't know what ever happened to it; I stopped going in the store for a year or more, and when I finally did go back the SAS was gone.

Over the years they've had a few SEs here and there, but that's it. They've changed managers and most of their staff in the last year, but the previous manager told me that we (Amarillo) were a secondary market and that the company had no intention of that location ever stocking anything but the odd SE from time to time. He said that they could probably order anything from PRS that I wanted, and when I asked about timeframes, etc., I was told a minimum of three months up to as much as a year. When I said 'Well, God help me if I want to order a Private Stock!', the reply was 'what's a Private Stock?'

I'm not trying to bash GC; I'm just stating my opinion. And my opinion is that the GC here is awful. You have to practically beg someone to help you, and most of the staff are unable to answer even the most simple question about a guitar or amp other than '________ (insert famous artist's name) plays 'em.'

True story: One day I was in the Amarillo GC looking at books, and there was a lady at the service counter who had bought a new Epiphone acoustic from them a few days earlier as a gift for her daughter. She had brought the guitar back in because she had gotten it home then decided it needed new strings (which of course GC had not offered to her during the original deal). She kept asking for help, and the salesman behind the counter - who happened to be their number one sales guy and right hand man of the manager - kept putting her off, telling her they were too busy right then to do string changes and that if she wanted to leave the guitar they would try to have it done and ready for her 'sometime next week'. The woman had already bought a set of strings when she first came into the store, and was holding them in her hand, yet nobody would help her.

I finished up and was leaving when she finally got disgusted and decided to leave also, so we happened to end up together outside the store. She stopped me and asked if I worked there. When I told her I didn't, she asked me if I could recommend another music store in town that might help her. I said no and we started talking. She was so mad and disappointed that she was almost in tears. To shorten up this story a bit, she ended up following me to my apartment. She parked beside my pickup and I went in and got my toolbox. It was a pretty day, so I dropped my tailgate, and we sat and talked while I changed the strings on her daughter's new guitar, cleaned it, tuned it, and got it ready to go.

I was glad to help her, but she should have been able to get GC to do everything I did for her. The fact that they not only didn't do it at the time of the original sale, but refused to do it later on when she was practically begging them for service, speaks volumes. Even if I could afford a new guitar, GC wouldn't be able to discount anything enough to get my business.

Lloyd
    Glad I didn't stop in there when I was passing through Amarillo last week.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    Glad I didn't stop in there when I was passing through Amarillo last week.
    In all fairness to the Amarillo location, the staff is probably completely different now. (I know for a fact that the manager and the employee I talked about are no longer there.) Maybe that's helped the problem.

Plus, I would hope that not all Guitar Centers are the same. But I've seen too many incidents similar to the one I described to ever spend any money with this store. A supposedly major PRS dealer that had no idea what Private Stock was? I can't imagine an acceptable excuse for that.

Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 05-01-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Doesn't some of that fall onto PRS though? How do manufacturers usually educate the sales staff of these stores?

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    ...I buy from Jack Gretz at NE Music Center, because of his relationships with customers like me and with PRS. This isn't a knock on GC, I just really enjoy dealing with Jack.
    My sentiments exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Doesn't some of that fall onto PRS though? How do manufacturers usually educate the sales staff of these stores?
    I don't know. I may not be an accurate judge of Guitar Centers and how they do business because I've only been in a handful of their stores. I've only dealt with the one here, the one in Lubbock, and some in the DFW area. But I will say that the Amarillo location - at least in my opinion - wasn't very good overall back when I was going there.

I apologize for the unintentional thread hijack. If GC are marking down PRS instruments, then that can be very good news for somebody somewhere, and I say good for them. Can't have too many guitars in my book, and the main thing is to get a guitar you love, right? And there are plenty of sellers out there so we can all find a dealer that we're happy with. It's a win all the way around.

Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 05-01-2014 at 09:36 PM.

I finished up and was leaving when she finally got disgusted and decided to leave also, so we happened to end up together outside the store. She stopped me and asked if I worked there. When I told her I didn't, she asked me if I could recommend another music store in town that might help her. I said no and we started talking. She was so mad and disappointed that she was almost in tears. To shorten up this story a bit, she ended up following me to my apartment. She parked beside my pickup and I went in and got my toolbox. It was a pretty day, so I dropped my…….
    Y'know, right when I got to this part I was thinking "Oh wow, is this going to be like a 'Dear Penthouse' story??!" Yeah, I know, my mind seems to often work its way toward the gutter.

Anyway, that was a very nice gesture.

Here's my $.02. I have purchased three PRS guitars and I have never purchased one from a store in the state I live in (Arizona). I bought one from E.M. Shorts in Wichita, Ks., one from Willcutt Guitars in Kentucky and one from Sweetwater in Indiana (all on line). The reason is smile mathematics, NO TAX! If I'm a serious guitar buyer and am going to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar, I know exactly what I want. I trust and know PRS guitars and don't need to test drive it first. We have two guitar stores in Tucson that carries PRS, Rainbow Guitars and a GC. The GC has stopped carrying the USA Made models and only carries the SE's now. Rainbow is more expensive than the high volume on line dealers and won't budge on price to off set the tax. In my opinion, GC is more of a lower end store trying to get the newcomers in music to get started, nothing wrong with that at all. But even amplifiers, GC in Tucson only has lower end amplifiers unless it was bought or traded as used.

I already know what my next PRS will be, a SC58! Now all I need to do is let the wife calm down from the Archon I just bought and pick a color! I will find one on line at any of the past locations I bought from, or there are many others out there that mainly do on line sales with free shipping and NO TAX!!!!!
    Last edited by pima651; 05-02-2014 at 01:31 AM.
    PRS Custom 24, McCarty Hollow Body ll 20th Anniversary, Ruby Riot 2, PRS Archon with PRS 2X12 Stealth Cabinet
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Had to throw that in!)

A supposedly major PRS dealer that had no idea what Private Stock was? I can't imagine an acceptable excuse for that.
    Actually, now that you mention it, I realized that one thing I always do whenever I plan on frequenting a particular GC (like I just moved into the neighborhood) or I'm planning to make a big purchase, I always seek out someone who has been there a long time and really knows what they are talking about. Often times someone who is a manager of some sort or has been a manager previously, but that is not always the case. GC's are always going to have a bunch of newbies there who (usually start out working behind the accessories counter) are dumber than a box of rocks. I never talk to them unless I just need someone to ring me up for a set of strings or something. I did the same thing last year when my wife and I bought a new car. I walked up to the first sales guy I saw (his first week on the job) and I asked to see the guy who was their dealerships best expert on Ford Mustangs. If I were going to buy a PRS USA core line guitar, I would find the guy who is the resident expert on PRS guitars.