Thread: Should trem be blocked when changing strings?

Should trem be blocked when changing strings?

I have a PRS Custom 24 that I've had for a week now. Love the guitar.

I've been a strat player for the last 15 years. When changing the strings on my strat, with its floating trem, I learned the hard way to put a piece of cardboard between the guitar body and the trem body to prevent it from coming into direct contact with the guitar body when I detuned and removed the strings. If I didn't do this, the tension of the trem springs pushed the trem body into the guitar body and made an indentation.

When changing the strings on my PRS, should I do something similar?

I searched around and could't find anything regarding this. Sorry if this is a common question :-).

Thanks!
    Rich
    Gear: 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2000 American Standard Stratocaster, 2011 Faded Les Paul Studio, 2001 Seagull S6 Acoustic, Peavey ValveKing 112 amp, Zoom G5 (No PRS at the moment).

From my experiences of changing PRS strings, which I normally do one string at a time, I haven't needed to place anything under the rear of the bridge...I have, however, removed all six strings periodically to treat PRS' rosewood fingerboards. When that is the case, I would place a business card or something under the back edge of the bridge, to protect the body.

i just restrung mine without any issues, also conditioned the ebony board.. all strings removed. no contact to body.
    '13 Custom 24 Artist Grey/Black Quilt (one piece top) \m/ pickups. '11 BC Rich Stealth with Quad Bridge, Custom Bone Nut, Seymour Duncan Blackout bridge pickup.'05 Jackson SLSMG Soloist with Seymour Duncan Blackout pickup set.'95 Fender Jaguar '62 reissue with Gibson B59 humbucker in the bridge.'13 Gibson SG 70's Tribute. '99 Mesa Boogie 2 channel Triple rectifier with custom bias mod and "top secret" solo channel in FX loop. Kev-

A piece of carboard or a soft cloth under the butt of the bridge is always advised when making string changes.

OK, thanks you guys! Sounds like it isn't any different from my strat...which I suspected. I used to keep a this piece of cardboard with my string changing tools just for this purpose.

Thanks again!!
    Rich
    Gear: 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2000 American Standard Stratocaster, 2011 Faded Les Paul Studio, 2001 Seagull S6 Acoustic, Peavey ValveKing 112 amp, Zoom G5 (No PRS at the moment).

Can't hurt, but not required if changing strings one at a time. However, if removing all the strings, I do recommend blocking the trem in whatever fashion you prefer to keep it in place.
    Current PRS: 2012 P22
    Former PRSi: '98 Custom 22, '02 CE22
    Other guitars I own/use: Gibson ES335, Fender AVRI 69 Tele, G&L Legacy

Yep - I use a magazine subscription card covered in painter's tape. Dr. Lenny taught me that.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

You guys change strings? I was following the Jamerson law of "the older, the better!"

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    You guys change strings? I was following the Jamerson law of "the older, the better!"
    Well, ya know, I rarely change whole sets of strings. I will replace individuals that break (duh!), and occasionally replace one or more if they feel a little dull or sound uneven, but a whole set at once is maybe a once-a-year activity per guitar, and many would be less frequent than that. But I don't have sweaty/salty/acidic hands. And I guess I like a mellower sound.

Now if a former bandmate were to play one of my guitars he'd hand me a tenner afterward for a new set of strings, because they'd start to develop rust before the end of the night, even if he wiped them down as he played. Remarkable skin chemistry...