Thread: New member, stoptail studs

Hybrid View

New member, stoptail studs

Hi everyone,

this is my first post, I've posted the following in other forums, hope someone can help me:

The tailpiece studs on my SC 25th anniversary were too tight, I just wanted to get a lower action and I couldn't do it, was quite difficult to take them out, I needed a large tool and a lot of effort, the thing is that I ordered some more studs at the Europe dealer, and they have the like vertical lines, wich deforms the thread under my point of view,they were too tight due to the vertical lines on the threads , are this lines normal? Common? The old ones and the new ones have the same vertical lines on the threads, 3 each stud, does anyone have the same???
    see photo.

Once the plating was removed, there was more play than Paul was happy with. We added the grooves to the studs for a while, but ultimately decided to go with a tighter tolerance with the threads. The newest studs won't have the grooves

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Once the plating was removed, there was more play than Paul was happy with. We added the grooves to the studs for a while, but ultimately decided to go with a tighter tolerance with the threads. The newest studs won't have the grooves
    Hi, where can I get one set of the NEW studs?

To Shawn@PRS:

Where can I get one set of the NEW studs?
    Meanwhile I have my 25th Anniversary SC unstrung with no tension on the neck truss rod.
    I'm from Europe any way to send me a set or two set of the new studs, with no groove?

Thanks a lot for your time.
    Kind regards

Your dealer/distributor can order a set of rePlacement studs for you.

No worries about the truss rod. It is a dual action rod which can bow or flex the neck

Your dealer/distributor can order a set of rePlacement studs for you.

No worries about the truss rod. It is a dual action rod which can bow or flex the neck
    Hi,

That's what I did and they sent me those on the picture I posted, any other way to get the new ones without grooves and les play as you said?

Quote Originally Posted by casset View Post
    Hi,

That's what I did and they sent me those on the picture I posted, any other way to get the new ones without grooves and les play as you said?
    Any chance to get the new studs straight from PRS factory or online shop? I from Europe

To Clarify........

--Will the new "tighter studs" work in older bushings, say from 1999?

--Will the new studs in the older bushings, say from 1999, form tighter stud/bushing contact similar to the new models?

This seems like the start of a good idea.

A lot of us went to the Tone Pro locking studs and saw a significant improvement over the older stock units.
    They seemed to work best in lighter weight guitars.

Add the lock down cap feature found on the Tone Pro units with the new tighter fitting studs and this should be a significant upgrade.
    ......Taking it to the next step of improving stud/bushing contact...that should be the best of the best....

......any answer to the above questions?

Thanks.

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    To Clarify........

--Will the new studs in the older bushings, say from 1999, form tighter stud/bushing contact similar to the new models?

A lot of us went to the Tone Pro locking studs and saw a significant improvement over the older stock units.

Add the lock down cap feature found on the Tone Pro units with the new tighter fitting studs and this should be a significant upgrade.
    ......Taking it to the next step of improving stud/bushing contact...that should be the best of the best....
    The TonePros worked quite well on this 7.0 pound Korina McCarty. I really like the feel of the PRS one piece bridge, and remember another luthier who I know many of you respect say that he thought it was brilliant. Love the combination with this guitar in particular.

My ME1 still has the stock PRS TP studs.
    Last edited by tdarian; 05-29-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    To Clarify........

Hi guys,

I just want to remind everyone that this forum is will not replace the function of PRS customer service, this forum is just a place for folks to get together and talk about gear. If you have a specific question for PRS, please contact us at custserv@prsguitars.com

The studs and stud wells are compatible throughout the production of these parts. The tolerances have changed, but the compatibility has not.

Thanks.

My favorite email recepient ever
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Thanks...
    Would like to try the tighter fitting studs in one of my guits.

Hi guys,

I just want to remind everyone that this forum is will not replace the function of PRS customer service, this forum is just a place for folks to get together and talk about gear. If you have a specific question for PRS, please contact us at custserv@prsguitars.com

The studs and stud wells are compatible throughout the production of these parts. The tolerances have changed, but the compatibility has not.

Thanks.
    Did anyone get these NEW version studs???