Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS Strings - Any opinions?

PRS Strings - Any opinions?

Does anybody have any opinions of PRS strings? I'm tempted to give a set a go but i'm a loyal d'addario user. I'd be interested to hear what you think, does anybody use PRS strings regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Tiger View Post
    ...i'm a loyal d'addario user. I'd be interested to hear what you think, ...
    Then you'll like PRS Strings since they are just rebranded D'addario's.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Guitar Geezer
    Great strings, lock solid tuning and they really last a long time. I use 9.5's on all my PRSi and get them from Jack Gretz at

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/

Jim
    PRS HBS
    PRS SE EG 'Snowy'

Not a big fan of them, I have a bunch of them from the giveaway and won't ever use them. I'm an Elixer or super slinky fan. I've been tossing a pack of two inside the cases of the guitars that I sell to make room for my life threatening GAS.
    2013 HB II Artist, '11 SC 58 Artist, '14 Custom 24 10Top Floyd, '12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, '09 Tremonti SE, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Suhr, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

I like them a lot, provided I can get them at a competitive price. They are good but not appreciably better than standard D'Addarios so not worth a premium (to me). I buy them through Elderly.

Ernie Ball guy for decades on all of my locking tremolo guitars, but on my PRS tremolo guitars I use Fender Bullets.
    They seem to stay in tune better and get seated right away with those PRS trems.
    Last edited by SharkGuitar; 05-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.

I use them on my Stripped 58 and Custom 22… love them! They stay in tune longer and stay crisp longer as well. I was a longtime user of GHS Boomers and these are similar, but there is a significant boost in the midrange freqs. I use .10's… I buy them through Sam Ash on Amazon. Great strings!
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

i use them. no complaints
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

I use them and reg D'addario's
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    what he said
    John Mann

John Mann's Guitar Vault - www.GuitarVaultUSA.com
    MannMade USA - www.MannMadeUSA.com

I use them and like 'em.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    Well played and point made. I might give some a go but maybe i'll continue to stick with d'addario for the future! Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by AP515

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Tiger View Post
    Well played and point made. I might give some a go but maybe i'll continue to stick with d'addario for the future! Thanks guys.
    I am not so sure about this. I am almost certain that one of the rules of tone videos, or other video shows PRS talking PRS strings and PRS says he has arranged certain specifications for his strings that would make them more than just rebranded. Shawn@PRS, if you are reading this can you weigh in please. Maybe I am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    Originally Posted by AP515

I am not so sure about this. I am almost certain that one of the rules of tone videos, or other video shows PRS talking PRS strings and PRS says he has arranged certain specifications for his strings that would make them more than just rebranded. Shawn@PRS, if you are reading this can you weigh in please. Maybe I am wrong?
    I honestly think they feel a little different than the D'Addarios I've played, though I may have played only the nickel plated and not pure nickel D'Addarios (it's my understanding that the PRS strings are pure nickel wound and not plated).
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

PRS string are made by D'Addario to PRS' specs. Not exactly simply rebranded sets...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Tbh, as long as the gauge is right I'm really not that fussy.

Maybe I should be?..

"Duck, or you're gonna be talkin' out yo ass!"

I think there is a slight difference in feel but I was definitely comparing the PRS ones to the D'Addario XLs/plated. I picked up some D'Addario branded pure nickels and the gauges were not the same as the PRS branded ones. Can't remember what the all were but they were 10-44 not 10-46.

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    PRS string are made by D'Addario to PRS' specs. Not exactly simply rebranded sets...
    Thank you Jay for clearing that up. I like the PRS strings. I use the 9.5's and the 12 string sets. Great stuff!

tried twice. not a big fan. i'll stick with my GHS 9 1/2"s.

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    I always appreciate better information. Thanks Jamie.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe