Thread: P22 vs P22 Trem Sustain

P22 vs P22 Trem Sustain

I'm considering by a P22, but am concerned that if I get the trem version there will be less sustain. I have a strat with a FR and am used to having a trem as it has become part of my style, so I am also wondering if I could be happy without a trem at this point. I fell in love with a non-trem version and am trying to figure this out as the store doesn't have both models. I know no one can answer the second part except me, so same sustain? Less sustain?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Crackers

There's varying opinion on this. I've heard some people refer to the trem equipped PRS having almost a reverb like sustain to them, where it adds something to the sound. I've not heard people say the trem guitars have less sustain. I'm not a trem guy and have no guitars w/trem so I can't comment directly. But if you usually use trem guitars, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy and think it doesn't have enough. At the the same time, maybe you have a bond with the stoptail guitar? Sometimes a certain vibe a guitar gives you shouldn't be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    There's varying opinion on this. I've heard some people refer to the trem equipped PRS having almost a reverb like sustain to them, where it adds something to the sound. I've not heard people say the trem guitars have less sustain. I'm not a trem guy and have no guitars w/trem so I can't comment directly. But if you usually use trem guitars, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy and think it doesn't have enough. At the the same time, maybe you have a bond with the stoptail guitar? Sometimes a certain vibe a guitar gives you shouldn't be ignored.
    Thanks for the reply. I called PRS and was told there was no difference then spoke with my guitar shop who said whenever you get more solid connections you get more sustain. I went with that and bought without trem. I knew what i was getting with the fixed tailpiece and didn't want to possibly order the trem and not be happy. I'll just have to learn to push on the neck a lot. I'm seeing it isnt 't too big a deal since I mostly use it with chords.

It's nice to have both. Alt tunings (the retuning part) is a bit of a PITA on trem guitars.

No REAL difference unless you measured with "scientific equipment"....

4 trems for me!
    PRS believer.

The trem actually and as weird as it may seem probably has more sustain. But I get it, the springs will have vibration that will keep the sound going. A stop-tail is just dead, no movement. I guess it is kind of like feed-back with the trem.
    SC245s