Thread: More On The DG30

More On The DG30

It's funny, the HXDA is absolutely "my tone" distilled and put into physical form, and it's just a no-brainer for me to be comfortable on it, and to do the things I usually do.

But I wanted to talk a little about the DG30 again, because exploring what it can do is bringing out a different side in my playing - and dare I say it - helping me expand my musical vocabulary.

For sure, this is Grissom's amp, tailor made to his hybrid picking and musical style. But it is also an amp that's suited to any artistic playing if the player digs into what it's capable of - and I differentiate that from what I usually think of as "good" playing. There are lots of good and even great players, but there are few who have their own art form going, and Grissom is one of those artistic players, to my way of thinking.

You can hear the complex high frequency crunch and harmonic haze that the DG30 produces when overdriven especially well on his song "Flim-Flam," an instrumental on his How It Feels To Fly album. It's interesting to hear how he uses the amp to get both a rich and sustaining sound, and at the same time get crunchy haze right on top of the note. It's a sound that very few amps can produce.

In working with the amp with my own material, I'm beginning to peel back the layers of what he and Doug Sewell might have been after re: the amp's design. Strangely enough, though I do have an easier time playing through the HXDA, with its buttery fatness and facile sustain, there's a tone quality in the DG30 that makes me keep coming back to it.

The more I work with it, the more I think it's an interesting tool for artistic expression that's forcing me to stretch myself, and not only that, but in doing so, it also enables that expression. If that makes any sense...
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I need a new amp.

Stop it, Les.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I need a new amp.

Stop it, Les.
    What kind of material do you play?

DG explained exactly what he used when cutting the tracks for Flim Flam on his blog post from 12/28/2011:

"Flim Flam: The doubled rhythm guitars are a DGT through a Custom 30 PRS on one side and an old 50 watt Hiwatt on the other. The bari parts were cut through a 1960 Gibson GA-40 tweed amp to make them cut more. The Dgt solos were cut through a PRS anniversary head."

We now know that the custom 30w PRS was the DG30, but he apparently blended it with a HiWatt. Interesting.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    DG explained exactly what he used when cutting the tracks for Flim Flam on his blog post from 12/28/2011:

"Flim Flam: The doubled rhythm guitars are a DGT through a Custom 30 PRS on one side and an old 50 watt Hiwatt on the other. The bari parts were cut through a 1960 Gibson GA-40 tweed amp to make them cut more. The Dgt solos were cut through a PRS anniversary head."

We now know that the custom 30w PRS was the DG30, but he apparently blended it with a HiWatt. Interesting.
    On his new 2014 release?? It was cut live as far as I can tell. You can hear the audience reacting after he announced the tune.

Maybe there were overdubs? I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    On his new 2014 release?? It was cut live as far as I can tell. You can hear the audience reacting after he announced the tune.

Maybe there were overdubs? I dunno...
    I'm guessing on the studio version on the previous release, given the 2011 date of the post.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

It is a (for lack of a better word) great thing when you are inspired by the sound of your gear. It puts our tone quest in perspective, and then out of the picture so you can just play and love it.

deus ex machina
    Les, I really like my 2-Chanel H, but I love the DXHA. It's the perfect single channel amp.

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    I'm guessing on the studio version on the previous release, given the 2011 date of the post.
    Yeah Les, that's what I failed to mention. Editing these posts from an iPad can be a challenge. My bad! Flim Flam was originally released on Way Down Deep and it's an awesome recording. I must have played it a thousand times picking up nuances in track layering. I look forward to comparing it to the live version on his new release. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    It is a (for lack of a better word) great thing when you are inspired by the sound of your gear. It puts our tone quest in perspective, and then out of the picture so you can just play and love it.
    AaaaaMEN!
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

I did some recording last night with the DG, and it really was fun.

No keeper takes, though, it was kind of "experiment night" here at the LSchefman studio...

Classic Rocker
    Very cool. I still badly want to try this amp.... I think it might be up my alley. I'm a diehard Blackface guy but I love my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and if I can get some of that chewy midrange thing happening with the DG that'd be cool. With the Blackfaces (Twin and Super Reverbs) I have to push the mids with pedals usually.

Quote Originally Posted by prsrocker1988 View Post
    Very cool. I still badly want to try this amp.... I think it might be up my alley. I'm a diehard Blackface guy but I love my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and if I can get some of that chewy midrange thing happening with the DG that'd be cool. With the Blackfaces (Twin and Super Reverbs) I have to push the mids with pedals usually.
    I think you'd like it.

Different from any amp I've ever played in so many ways, it's got a lot of things going for it. Once I get the whole mishmash figured out on my next project, I'll post some clips.