Thread: need help

need help

We set up in a small bar last night and I had an obnoxious buzz coming through my amp. I couldn't get it under control and it was very annoying.

I could stand at a certain angle to my amp and control it better but it was a real hassle doing that and rolling vol pot up and down.

I was totally stumped. Tried different cables different AC outlets shutting off lights going direct to amp. Different guitar. Oh and it was only with guitar volume up. With volume 3/4 or lower my gate would keep it at bay.

There was something in that building causing the buzz. Any suggestion at all from the experts?

If the volume pot would clean it up I don't think it was line noise. I think it was EMI coming from somewhere. You tried the lights, which is often the source. I've had it from a nearby computer before. Hate it when that hapens...
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

We get that periodically, depending on the venue. We call it "dirty power". More often than not, what we've found is, either fluorescent lighting and/or dimmer controls on lights, the dimmer controls being the worst of the problem. I'm assuming your using your PRS, so single coil's not an issue. I get it at a particular venue and I'm playing my Tele with single coil.
    ​Some people are like blisters.... .....they show up after the work's all done!

Ah. I knew about dimmers but forgot to check that.