Thread: CU24 HFS/VB vs 57/08 25th - potential NGD

CU24 HFS/VB vs 57/08 25th - potential NGD

I'm looking at a non-10 top 2008 HFS/VB vs 25th 10 top... on you tube, i like the sound of the HFS/VB better and it's a better deal. It has 1/2 moons, i prefer the birds...

is the fit and finish of the 10-tops superior to the non-10s?
    does the 25th have better fit and finish because it is a 25th?

just looking for a little guidance... it'll probably be my only PRS guitar for the foreseeable future.

Thanks

I have the 25th which includes neck binding, headstock rosewood overlay and shadow birds, the case for the 25th is white with Paul's signature in the middle. The fit and finish should be very similar because PRS didn't switch to v12 until 2011. The pickups are hotter with hfs/vb but you can get a hot sound with a tube screamer in front.

thank you

There seems to be a love or hate thing with the HFS pickup. There are some people that love that pickup while others hate it, I have a CE24 that came with HFS/VB and through my 5150 it didn't do it for me. I did slap a couple other bridge pickups in it but the VB just overpowered them. I put 5708s in it and I'm happy as a clam.

If you play harder music or down tune your guitar then the HFS might be your ticket but anything else might be better off with 5708s.

I don't know what you like so remember this is only my opinion.

Good luck.

I was never a big fan of the older "modern" (er, oxymoron anyone?1 ) PRS pickups but I've been mightily impressed with the 57/08, Narrowfield and 408 pickups ... which, er, all use the same wire I believe!

I had a 25th SAS which had the most insane (looking and feeling) flame maple neck. Really wish I'd held on to it.
    2013 PRS Paul's Guitar, Copper Flame
    2009 PRS McCarty II, Tobacco Sunburst
    2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab
    Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex

I actually like the HFS/VB in a CE24 I had. That said when I replaced them with 5909s it was like night and day. The 5708s, and 5310s for that matter, are very special pickups and to my ears very hard to beat. I still like the tones you get from an HFS/VB set but the don't quite measure up to a 5708 if you are looking for that classic PAF tone.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

thank you for your feedback... while trolling youtube i found videos that supported both pups - each of them seem to have great range for covering all sorts of music... my take was that the HFS/VB combo had a pinch more versatility for modern rock as they seemed to cover some heavier sounds... 08s have pinch more versatility on the other end... however, there's a video with Ted Nugent using the 25th 5708s and it's great. So, I guess they are both great and the way they are combined with my amp and pedals will determine there versatility.

as it turned out, i picked up my guitar yesterday... didn't see the latest msgs, i went with a different 08 HFS CU24... single owner, took great care of it, ten top at a great price... just getting to know her now

I really love the hfs for modern sounds. Very versatile pickup IMO . I've got 2 guitars with them and honestly , it's the sound I've had in my head for years . Not too trebly, has growl and can roll off nice.

My dgt has the dgt pickups in it (not what you asked) . I like those pickups for more vintage stuff but the hfs really does have hot ,fat scream to them...uh oh might just slap a pair in the dgt lol
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Prs SE CU 24 Floyd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Btw might want to show the new cu 24 off....pics or it didn't happen
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Prs SE CU 24 Floyd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

trying to figure out how to upload a pic

https://plus.google.com/117735457165...ts/Ln5RnVQfgsk

got a ding on the side of the guitar, otherwise in great shape

I'm a new PRS owner, and honestly a 10 top is a nice sales tool, but I've seen some tops that "I" think are just as nice.
    The 10 top just means someone at the factory thought the grain and layout were nicer than most.
    The build quality and finish are the same on both.

To be honest, before I bought mine, I narrowed my choice down to three. I chose the charcoal burst. It's a 10 top, but seems to be one piece, there's no seam.
    It doesn't shout at you, but the more you look the more you see.
    Even after I bought it, I still looked at the other two and wondered if I made the right choice.
    None were perfect, all were very, very nice.
    The one I found I really wanted was the one I hesitated a day and let it get away. It had a dark blue burst and was subtle yet stunning.
    Looking at the big picture, there are folks sleeping on park benches, my dilemmas are insignificiant.