Thread: What SE should I Buy?

What SE should I Buy?

Hello guys,

Long time PRS player looking to find a fill in SE to add to my collection.
    My current guitars are,

97 cu 24 with trem
    96 cu 22 stop tail w dragons 1
    98 SAS w trem
    2010 prs 305 w trem.

I want to add a low cost prs but I'm looking for a guitar that doesn't duplicate what I have already. Maybe the semi hollow?
    Please chime in,

Thank you,

Gemal
    97 custom 24, 10 top cherry burst
    96 custom 22 10 top amber
    2010 25th Ann 305
    98 whitewash SAS
    Plus other gear

Tremonti se or one of the other singlecuts seems to be the most logical to round out your collection unless you don't like singlecuts.

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    I'd go for the SE Custom Semi-Hollow or a SC245 in your case. I'm more partial to the 245 but that's due to me being a big fan of SC's in general.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Semi-Hollow sounds good... take a look at the Bernie Marsden too!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

I'd say the new semi-hollow with Bigsby. They look good (aesthetically and spec wise) and short of a very high-end USA PRS it'd be hard to find something similar when they're stopped!
    2013 PRS 408 Standard Frost Blue Metallic | 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG | 2010 Gibson Firebird V w/BKP Nantucket P90s | 2008 Sewell Vintage Custom Stealth Tele | 2012 Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 30 Head / Dual-Ported 1x12 | 2007 Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker Reissue 2x12 Combo | 200x Epiphone Valve Senior 1x12 Combo | AnalogMan | Fulltone | ZVex | MXR | TC Electronic

Korina one.You will be suprised how many different tones you can get from a single p-90 and a volume knob.Torero for the EMGs,Floyd,ebony fretboard and scalelength....a totally different animal for a PRS,very cool guitar if you ask me.I think EMGs are excellent pickups,many dont
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I don't have a semi-hollow or either of the two that swede mentioned above, but of the 4 SEs I have, the newer SE Santana is my favorite. It's become my "go-to" that I actually will leave the house with because if anything happens I can easily replace it The neck pickup sounds especially good clean and with low to moderate gain. I have seen quite a few clean ones used lately, so you might score a good deal.

The 245 is great as well...I was surprised how different is sounded from the Santana, considering same neck and the pups are supposedly very similar if not identical between the two. Very throaty. Like it so much that, after reading all of Mike's posts about the Bernie I almost pulled the trigger on one as well.

RE: semi-hollow, no experience, but I think the pups are the same ones as in the other SE CST24/singlecuts. I have those in my SE 24, and they do not blow me away...they are a thinner and less distinctive than the Santanas/245s, although on higher gain settings those really come alive.
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I've had good experience with my newer model SE Santana. BUT, ive replaced everything but the wood with U.S. components over the course of a year. Great guitars!!!

Torero baby!! SHRED-CITY!!
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Santana SE. Great guitar in itself and worthwhile to replace components on.
    McCarty McSøapy McKørina Black|Santana SE II "The Tiger" with Lindy Fralin humbuckers, locking tuners, push-pull switching & blocked trem|Mira Kørina

Sometimes it's hard to know whether it is the vintage or primeur Letrow that is talking

Bernie Marsden. Get that phatttttttt, singlecut tone
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Don - Studio Musician cobrafast1's Avatar
    I just got my SE Custom Semi-Hollow body about a week ago and love it. I haven't owned a hollow body since the 1960's. That was Gibson ES-330-TDC with a Bigsby tail piece. I bought that in London, England when I was on leave that from the Air Force. Did some R&R there and bought a guitar. Later sold it to fund a Martin D-28.

I love the SE Custom. Nice tones for blues or rock and it gets that creamy sound for leads.... The neck feells good but not as fast as my Strat, but that has a Maple neck and a different radius.

In all, for the money, the SE Custom is a great guitar. I have locking tuners coming in UPS tomorrow and might do other mods later after I get bored. But I do like it. Mine is Scarlet Red. I wish it had zebra pickups in it. That would really set it off.
    Last edited by cobrafast1; 07-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body - Parker Fly Deluxe - American Fender Stratocaster
    Carvin Quad-X Amp - Carvin Tube 100 - (2) Roctron Intellifex - Gibson EchoPlex
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

My semiholow in natural with a stoptail is my 'go to lessons' guitar. It plays as well as any of my US made PRS guitars and has the advantage of being lighter to cart around since I am also usually carrying a thick notebook and session recorder.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

¡sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Another vote fo Bernie!!!!!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”