Thread: heel size question

heel size question

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi all,

wondering if someone could help, Ive got a 1992 CU24 which Ive owned since 1999, Im confused as to the size of the heel, its bigger than other similar aged CU24's Ive been looking at recently. Were some guitars from that era built with a bigger heel?
    here are some more pics:

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Any help and info would be much appreciated

Yes, PRS altered the heel size of where the neck meets the body over the years. There is a retailer's website out there with older webpages created by the original owner (now deceased) dedicated to complaining about the end-of-the-world tragedy that is the bigger heel, and how PRS is a traitor to all things guitar for changing from the original small-heeled design. YMMV on how you feel about that...

However, PRS changed the heel size (increased it) in 1995. If your guitar is a 1992, you should have the smaller heel.

See the picture on this website (picked somewhat at random):

http://cascadeguitars.com/reviews/prs-neck-heel.html

So..I dunno why your heel is so big for a 1992 model. Maybe someone else can provide furether insight?

Maybe that's a 7?

If you post the serial number we will know for sure!
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Hmmmm, that's very curious. It looks more like the heel from the '98 I used to own. A friend had a '94 and the heel was probably half the size.

The heel grew on the 24 fret models in 1995; The 22 fret models always had a large heel (except for the EG) starting with the Dragon in '91.
    --Garrett--

thanks for all your input guys. the serial number is 2 14311. Im 100% confident its a '92 guitar.

I've had tons of pre 95 CU24s pass through my hands and I have never seen one with a large neck heel like that. Any chance it got a re-necked at some point?

No sign of any work being done on the guitar. I bought it in 99 from its original owner, who bought it from a main PRS dealer in the UK.
    It really is a mistery, perhaps I should contact the company and see if they can shed any light on it.
    some more pics:

Last edited by prudd; 05-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.

That's really weird.

I believe the 1992 Artist models came with a larger heel. But these only came with bird inlays and a rosewood headstock veneer IIRC.
    Are the zebra pickups original? If so are they labeled HFS and Vintage bass?
    1992 PRS Cu24 Tortoise Shell, "10",Birds, Reg Neck
    2005 PRS 513 Brazilian Rosewood Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzedout View Post
    I believe the 1992 Artist models came with a larger heel. But these only came with bird inlays and a rosewood headstock veneer IIRC.
    Are the zebra pickups original? If so are they labeled HFS and Vintage bass?
    No, the pickups were changed some time just before I bought it in 1999 to a pair of Dragons. I stupidly sold the original HFS and VB pickups a couple of years after buying the guitar convinced that I would never ever sell it.....short sighted of me because if I dont get a job soon I'm going to have to

A Prototype? Special order?

Is it a WF neck? If so, it might have been an Artist I neck, with a moons fretboard...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Is it a WF neck? If so, it might have been an Artist I neck, with a moons fretboard...
    Not sure what the neck profile is Jamie, compared to my DGT its slightly less deep but is definately wider. I used to own an SC250 and that definately had a bigger neck than the CU24.
    My plan is, sometime soon, to get the strings off and take some detailed pics of the neck pocket and try to get some neck measurements with some digital calipers.

here are some more pics of the neck pocket, i cant see any signs of a neck replacement having been done, but maybe somebody with more knowledge might see it differently.
    Thanks to those who have put some input in so far, appreciate it

Last edited by prudd; 05-29-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Normally the 24 fret necks have the smaller heel, so I was intrigued by this one. According to our old database, this guitar was a specifically ordered with a Wide Fat neck carve.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Normally the 24 fret necks have the smaller heel, so I was intrigued by this one. According to our old database, this guitar was a specifically ordered with a Wide Fat neck carve.
    thanks for that Shawn, so by specifically ordering a wide fat carve does it follow that the heel would also be bigger than a normal 24CU from '92,
    cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Which is also what the Artist I had... Nailed it!
    ---Jamie---

My Gear