Thread: New amp day: HX/DA 30

New amp day: HX/DA 30

Just delivered. Haven't even turned on yet, as I have company this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    Well then, it sounds like it's time to serenade them! Unless they are an IRS audit team, they shouldn't be there to totally torture you all weekend, so share your new baby...there's a new addition to the family! That's a real beauty, too.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Well, I did get 3 mins with the amp to make sure it wasn't broken during shipment. All is ok.

My initial reactions...loud but not crazy. Master is really great. Breaks up pretty early on my LP with SD antiquities. Both volumes at about 9oclock. But a simple drop of the vol knob on my guitar and it's clean.

More playing after the guests leave.

Enjoy it. HXDA is my favorite.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Guitaraholic
    What level of gain can you get with this amp? I have been looking at this amp for a while, but I am concerned that it will feel too 60s sounding. I prefer a 70s or 80s marshall tone.
    2010 25th Anniversary McCarty NF | 2011 SC 58 | 2012 Custom 22 | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 Custom 24 Wood Library

25th Anniversary Amp head in paisley | 2 x 12 paisley cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post

Badass! Welcome to the club!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    What level of gain can you get with this amp? I have been looking at this amp for a while, but I am concerned that it will feel too 60s sounding. I prefer a 70s or 80s marshall tone.

It it is an internally bridged Marshall....goes from Super Bass to Late 60's plexi....it is internally jumped with two gain knobs...a lot of famous records were made with a setup similar to this....and these amps have the added benefit of a good master volume...if you want more of Doug's take on that 80's Marshall sound go with an Original Sewell...The HXDA has more than enough gain for me...and if I need more I boost it...if I want real high gain I plug into an amp that was specifically designed with that in mind...then again some of the best sounds on tape came from using gear in unconventional ways...many times there was a Plexi being abused in some way to generate those high gain tones we all love so much.
    -Bob

I think it can do 70s tones easily. (Most of what I like from the 70s isn't as high gain as you may think.) Maybe even some early 80s with hot pickups, or with a booster in front.

Find the video of Paul doing a tour of his factory where the amps are built. He plays some Allmans sitting right in front of the amp. Then he walks out of the room and dimes the amp. You can hear it full bore.

About the 7:00 mark in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAgQUWbw9A