Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Kestrel and Kingfisher Basses

They are posted on the PRS Home Page. They look good!!!

I think this is a very good move. These will do well.

My fantasy is to someday have a practice space in my house with a full band setup... and it just got better. Lovin the look and sound of that Kestrel.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - Mira X - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    I think this is a very good move. These will do well.
    I concur.
    Sh*tter's full

I'll take a Kingfisher in Scarlett Red please!!

Damn you PRS....All making cool stuff I want to buy....sheesh...

Just take my money now
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24, 2015 Esp Ltd Ironcorss, 2015 Ibanez RG 2550E
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Orange TH30 . Saxon 2x12 cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Sounds great! Very glad to see this. Myself and my bass playin buddy have been harassing our dealers (and PRS employees too, while at Experience) for years LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    I may have sung "Sergio" once or twice over some of that funkiness.
    That's like, the nicest thing you could ever do for someone.

Hm. Not thrilled about the 7.5" fretboard radius. Gonna have to play one of these in the store before i pull the trigger.

The bass player in my band wants a black Kestral, I want the brown Kingfisher!
    PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Mike Mustok Baritone Brown Burst to come later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Hm. Not thrilled about the 7.5" fretboard radius. Gonna have to play one of these in the store before i pull the trigger.
    I do not really know much about the radius on guitars, what does this equate too on the SE basses?
    Harder to play?

One more thing, I wish the SEs had a blend control for the pickups, it seems a little more work to turn down one of the volume controls to cancel out a pickup to favor the other pickup, but I guess it is something you can get use to.

Also is the kingfisher able to run the strings from behind the body like the Kestrel, or is the bridge different?
    They list both bridges as a Hipshot TransTone.

Want. Want very much. Need a good bass to replace my two P-bass knockoffs. The Kingfisher in Natural looks like what I want. Want. I will say that word a lot with these. Want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    And it gets that sound with passive electronics, holy hell. I may have found my next purchase.

Anybody know if that through-neck has a scarf joint at the headstock? If it doesn't then this is going to be one of the highest-quality instruments ever to come out of the SE line.

No Scarf Joint on the neck or headstock

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Can we have a scarf joint ADDED if we want?

Seriously, these look and sound amazing. And from what I remember seeing of the prices on the original SW posting, these will be a serious value too. Cannot wait to try one out!
    1990, 91, 92 & 94 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2004 & 05 SE EGs
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited x2
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2015 S2 Vela | 2015 PS #5583 Paul's Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Seriously, these look and sound amazing. And from what I remember seeing of the prices on the original SW posting, these will be a serious value too. Cannot wait to try one out!
    Yeah, my GAS for another guitar has been increased and focused. Gotta get my Spalted ZM first (August? I hope these don't slip to the right, schedule-wise). I should also look into getting a second job, at this rate...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    GOOD LORD, man, are you absolutely certain these are SE instruments?! I'm having a very hard time convincing myself I don't need one. Is there an MSRP?

Quote Originally Posted by thieves&foxes View Post
    The bass player in my band wants a black Kestral, I want the brown Kingfisher!
    The Tortoiseshell Kingfisher is definitely the looker of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I do not really know much about the radius on guitars, what does this equate too on the SE basses?
    Harder to play?
    Fretboard radius is a measurement of how flat or curved the fretboard is across the top. A smaller radius is more curved and is considered easier to play chords on the lower frets. A larger radius is flatter and makes it easier to bend strings without fretting out, especially on the higher frets. Occasionally you will hear about a "compound" radius, which means the fretboard gradually gets flatter as you go up the neck, but this isn't common on most of the larger brands.

Vintage Fender guitars and basses have a 7.25-inch radius. If you've ever tried to solo on a vintage Fender neck, it can be painful. Modern Fenders have a 9.5-inch radius. Gibson has always used a 12-inch radius, and PRS has always used a 10-inch radius except on the Santana, which I believe is 11.5".

The radius on these basses is 7.5 inches. If it was a guitar, this would disqualify it outright, for me. But on a bass it may be okay, I'll just have to see. When it comes to purchasing one of these, the only hesitation I have is over the neck. I'm used to modern Jazz necks with a thinner nut width and flatter radius. But if the necks on these feel good, I'll probably be buying one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Also is the kingfisher able to run the strings from behind the body like the Kestrel, or is the bridge different?
    They list both bridges as a Hipshot TransTone.
    In the demo video they say it's got the same convertible bridge. The shot of the back of the Kingfisher shows string-through holes. I'm real curious to see how that affects the tone. I wonder which way they'll ship?
    Last edited by Sage; 06-25-2014 at 10:31 AM.