Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: NEVER thought I would ask this question!!

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Uh oh.........Just got an email telling me that my new best friend ha been shipped!!!!!!!

    Help. I need air..can't breath.....lol

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Uh oh.........Just got an email telling me that my new best friend ha been shipped!!!!!!!

    Help. I need air..can't breath.....lol
    No worries, PRS sends a small oxygen tank with each new guitar.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    No worries, PRS sends a small oxygen tank with each new guitar.
    Mnan they think of everything huh?lol

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Tracking on UPS shows an early delivery to the GC on Weds!!!!...I hope that means that I can pick it up that day!!!!!

    Also, since I really dig Billy Gibbons guitar play I bought a set of 7 gauge Dunlop Reverend Willy's Electric Guitar String Set - Extra Light. Anybody ever play these strings?

    Pics coming real real soon!!!!!!!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Tracking on UPS shows an early delivery to the GC on Weds!!!!...I hope that means that I can pick it up that day!!!!!

    Also, since I really dig Billy Gibbons guitar play I bought a set of 7 gauge Dunlop Reverend Willy's Electric Guitar String Set - Extra Light. Anybody ever play these strings?

    Pics coming real real soon!!!!!!!
    You will no doubt need to have the guitar set up to play the 7s, or everything will be WAY off. So plan on a new nut (the slots will not be cut right for such a thin string) a setup and truss rod adjustment.

    There's a big setup difference between .010s and .007s.

    Not that it isn't worth it if that's what works for you, just something to plan for. You'll probably need to order the nut from PRS, as an off the shelf nut will not be to PRS standards unless you go with something fairly expensive, like bone, etc.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member shinksma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    863
    Ya know, speaking of string gauge...

    When I first started playing (30 years ago) .009s were all I could handle. Because I wanted to bend it like Beckham...wait, like Gilmour. and I was a newbie/wimp guitarist with weak hands.

    I never got out of that habit. And since I didn't really play as regularly as I could have (compared to what most semi-pros or serious amateurs consider regular), I was content with .009s.

    I started playing acoustic too, and I found those strings to be quite challenging, but eventually I got used to it. Never considered upping the size of the strings on my electrics. So my acoustic was my workout guitar, and the electric was playtime.

    Then in the last couple of years (!) I finally started playing what might be considered regularly, and mostly on acoustic, jamming with friends that play acoustic-centric music, and eventually gigging every few months (I was awful at first, of course), then every month, and now two or three times a month. (Yeah, weekend guitarists - go ahead, make fun of me!) I actually play my HB almost 100% when we gig, because I can emulate an acoustic quite well, but switch over to a nice rock'n'roll electric sound when it is called for (I do all the guitar solos).

    Long story short: I find I like .010s or .011s on my electric guitars now. My HB has .011s, but had .012s on it when I got it, and I'm thinking of switching back. My Cu24 has .009s on it still (really, I don't know why I haven't switched them out yet - oh yeah, I'm lazy!), and it feels a bit flabby at times. And when I pick up an acoustic, it doesn't feel like a workout, just another guitar.

    So YMMV on strings. And that's what's great - two players can have the same guitar, and sound so different, due to just strings and set-up.

  7. #27
    I'm big on .010s, and that's only in the last few years; I always played .009s before that. I'd play .011s without worry, too. And like you, shinksma, a bit of it has to do with going back and forth to acoustic guitar.

    I get better strumming control with .010s, and I do think there's a bit of difference in the tone. But I don't do crazy bends, so maybe that's part of it.

    I feel like I'm playing rubber bands when I play .009s now. I can't imagine playing anything thinner.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 06-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You will no doubt need to have the guitar set up to play the 7s, or everything will be WAY off. So plan on a new nut (the slots will not be cut right for such a thin string) a setup and truss rod adjustment.

    There's a big setup difference between .010s and .007s.

    Not that it isn't worth it if that's what works for you, just something to plan for. You'll probably need to order the nut from PRS, as an off the shelf nut will not be to PRS standards unless you go with something fairly expensive, like bone, etc.
    Thanks for the very helpful info......So much appreciated.

    So, would you say that the way my SC will be set up now would work with 9, 10 and 11's?

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    Ya know, speaking of string gauge...

    When I first started playing (30 years ago) .009s were all I could handle. Because I wanted to bend it like Beckham...wait, like Gilmour. and I was a newbie/wimp guitarist with weak hands.

    I never got out of that habit. And since I didn't really play as regularly as I could have (compared to what most semi-pros or serious amateurs consider regular), I was content with .009s.

    I started playing acoustic too, and I found those strings to be quite challenging, but eventually I got used to it. Never considered upping the size of the strings on my electrics. So my acoustic was my workout guitar, and the electric was playtime.

    Then in the last couple of years (!) I finally started playing what might be considered regularly, and mostly on acoustic, jamming with friends that play acoustic-centric music, and eventually gigging every few months (I was awful at first, of course), then every month, and now two or three times a month. (Yeah, weekend guitarists - go ahead, make fun of me!) I actually play my HB almost 100% when we gig, because I can emulate an acoustic quite well, but switch over to a nice rock'n'roll electric sound when it is called for (I do all the guitar solos).

    Long story short: I find I like .010s or .011s on my electric guitars now. My HB has .011s, but had .012s on it when I got it, and I'm thinking of switching back. My Cu24 has .009s on it still (really, I don't know why I haven't switched them out yet - oh yeah, I'm lazy!), and it feels a bit flabby at times. And when I pick up an acoustic, it doesn't feel like a workout, just another guitar.

    So YMMV on strings. And that's what's great - two players can have the same guitar, and sound so different, due to just strings and set-up.
    Your story kinda reminds me of me........I have 'played" the guitar for over 45 years, but until now, have never really got serious.

    So, from these wonderful responses I now know I will be going through different gauges to find out what's for me......

    Thanks so much for sharing.....


  10. #30
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,132
    I found that with my PRSi they are setup for 9's and 10's out of the box. If I use 11's (which I do on my SE Ones) I had to widen the nut slot a bit, but that was about it.
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  11. #31
    Senior Member shinksma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful info......So much appreciated.

    So, would you say that the way my SC will be set up now would work with 9, 10 and 11's?
    IMHO you should be fine - going up or down one size should not be an issue. Might need to adjust your action via bridge height a bit, but truss rod is probably OK.

    However, there is always the possibility that the 11s will bind a slight amount in the nut. May not be a real issue, just be prepared for a little pinging.

    But, as I said: IMHO, YMMV.

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Thanks so much for the input guys......I use 9's on my Ovation right now, so I might as well start with 9's play those bad boys down and then check out a different gauge

    UPS says my SC has just left Sparks Nevada which is only about 1 1/2 hours from me.........Getting so close.......Is this cool or what?

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    219
    Strings are cheap. Use the brand, size and composition that you like best.
    Then if you find that the nut is binding....like say it came with .009"s and you like .010"s and youre finding that youre having tuning issues because the fatter strings are binding in the nut slots, you just need to widen the nutslots. You don't have to switch strings and you do NOT have to replace the nut.
    I'd guess that the S2s use the same nuts as the SEs.
    SE owners think for some reason that you instantly NEED to swap your Korean PRS nut for a USA one or a TUSQ or bone one. You DONT.
    A nut on an electric guitar isn't gonna improve your tone. Probably not even on open strings (which is the ONLY time you MIGHT hear a nut).

    When your guitar arrives and when you need to change strings, get your favorite ones. The same as you always use. IF youre finding you need to widen the nut slots, do it. If not, don't. But I think it's not mandatory to swap every Korean PRS nut for a USA PRS nut. Contrary to what 99% of other Korean PRS owners think.
    YMMV I suppose?

    Either way, congrats on the incoming NGD and welcome to PRS. There's no turning back now ;-)

  14. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Definitely experiment with different gauges! Everybody else has mentioned the potential setup issues, so I won't repeat them.

    That was an interesting fact about BB King - with the tone he has I always assumed he had some seriously heavy gauge strings. Goes to show ya...

    Anyway, there is definitely a difference in tone and feel and it all comes down to personal preference. For years I was using 11's on my strat. I read that SRV used some rediculously heavy guage strings, so if they were good enough for him... My main reason for doing so was my hands sweat a lot and the heavier gauge strings would last longer. I even tried stainless steel strings to prolong string life. As I got more serious and focused on my playing, I found the 11's sounded dark...no sparkle or twang. As an experiment, I got a set of 9's. There was the sparkle and twang I wanted! But the strings felt too slinky and I had to raise the action to deal with too much fret buzz (lighter gauge strings have less tension, therefore they vibrate in a wider pattern). I then settled on 10's which are a happy medium - in all respects. Even with my sweaty hands, I manage to get a month out of a set which isn't bad at all!
    Rich
    Gear: 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2000 American Standard Stratocaster, 2011 Faded Les Paul Studio, 2001 Seagull S6 Acoustic, Peavey ValveKing 112 amp, Zoom G5 (No PRS at the moment).

  15. #35
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,132
    Wow! Blaren chimed in with a paragraph about not swapping the nut...interesting.
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Hell guys,,,, you have given me so much really great info that I feel like I am stealing as I should be paying some bones for this...

    Thanks.....

    I am tempted to hang out a GC all day tomorrow till that bad boy is in my hands...lol

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Hell guys,,,, you have given me so much really great info that I feel like I am stealing as I should be paying some bones for this...

    Thanks.....

    I am tempted to hang out a GC all day tomorrow till that bad boy is in my hands...lol
    No problem :-). This is a topic that it's worth getting a lot of people's perspective. I which I knew half of this when I started.

    You've touched on a subject that guitarists love to talk about. When this thread dies down, ask about what type of pick you should use :-). Tube amp vs. solid state is another favorite topic of discussion...

    Hope your new guitar is all you hope it will be. The blue crab smokeburst color is really cool!!
    Rich
    Gear: 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2000 American Standard Stratocaster, 2011 Faded Les Paul Studio, 2001 Seagull S6 Acoustic, Peavey ValveKing 112 amp, Zoom G5 (No PRS at the moment).

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    Lol...Who knew that bringing up different subjects about Guitar would equate to bring up the subject of religion

    It is great to come to a place and ask honest question and get them answered!!

    I bet the Blue Crab looks even better in my hands

  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Calif
    Posts
    94
    As a matter of fact, it is going to take some time to digest a lot of info on this site...Man, I never knew there was so much to guitar pickups!!!!

    Also the way things are said around here....Someone wrote S2 Sc BC, and it took me a moment to figure out he was talking about my guitar...lol

    You mentioned picks, that does bring a question to my mind that I will hold on to..

  20. #40
    Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by auriemma View Post
    Ozboy... Not so. Just ask BB King and Billy Gibbons. They met and swapped guitars to try out. King asked Gibbons how thick the "cables" he was using were. They were like 13s. King asked... Why you workin so hard? Gibbons found out that King used 8s. Gibbons now uses 7s!
    I dare you to say BB King and Billy Gibbons have no blues tone.
    You beat me to it. hahaha
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP - ALICE COOPER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •