Thread: PRS with Line 6?

PRS with Line 6?

Anyone have thoughts on using Line 6 with your PRS?

Thanks!

No reason not to, at least until you can get a proper tube amp for it.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Thanks Les,

You have been so helpful, I am most appreciative!!!!!

To give you the full picture of what I have an am trying to do let me lay down here.

Just want to home record my music if for no other reason, just to enjoy creating songs.

I now have my Guitar.

I have a Presonus Professional Studio 1 DAW system

Gotta get myself another Mac since mine dead a sad death. I can get a decent Refurb Imac for about $1000.

I was thinking the Line 6 would work as an interface so I can record my guitar parts through my DAW...

I don't know if you record or not or what you have.

But I was thinking that should be a decent start for my setup.....??

Do you have any thoughts on what I wrote above??

Thanks

Which Line 6 were you thinking? Might also cosider an Avid Eleven Rack as well, which comes with Pro Tools. Don't know if it works with PreSonus Studio One...
    Last edited by Jazzedout; 06-21-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    1992 PRS Cu24 Tortoise Shell, "10",Birds, Reg Neck
    2005 PRS 513 Brazilian Rosewood Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzedout View Post
    Which Line 6 were you thinking? Might also cosider an Avid Eleven Rack as well, which comes with Pro Tools. Don't know if it works with PreSonus Studio One...
    As I write this I am looking at the HD Pro X Rack...

I hadn't heard of the Avid unit. Thanks for the heads up. I see that both are about $700.

Have you had an experience with either one?

Thanks so much!

No experience with either, but the Avid unit is pretty highly thought of by the folks that have it. And it will function as an interface into your computer.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    As I write this I am looking at the HD Pro X Rack...

I hadn't heard of the Avid unit. Thanks for the heads up. I see that both are about $700.

Have you had an experience with either one?

Thanks so much!
    I have the Avid unit and I am very happy with it. Lots of options and lots of great sounds. Did not like the earlier Line6 modelers that I have tried, including their top of the line foot controller unit (500 something IIRC...) a few years back. Haven't tried their recent stuff though...
    1992 PRS Cu24 Tortoise Shell, "10",Birds, Reg Neck
    2005 PRS 513 Brazilian Rosewood Orange

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    No experience with either, but the Avid unit is pretty highly thought of by the folks that have it. And it will function as an interface into your computer.
    I agree...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzedout View Post
    I have the Avid unit and I am very happy with it. Lots of options and lots of great sounds. Did not like the earlier Line6 modelers that I have tried, including their top of the line foot controller unit (500 something IIRC...) a few years back. Haven't tried their recent stuff though...
    Well, now I have some things to think about.......Thanks for the input..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    I don't know if you record or not or what you have.

But I was thinking that should be a decent start for my setup.....??

Do you have any thoughts on what I wrote above??

Thanks
    Sure!

I write, produce and record music for a living; here's a sample of recent work:

I don't know which Line6 product will or won't work for you; I record my tube amps with microphones for most of my work.

But if you don't currently have an amp for recording, you might consider a good software amp plugin, alternatively, you might consider a hardware box with amp models built in. For recording the three biggest are the AxeFX, the Kemper, and the Eleven Rack. In terms of sound quality, the hardware boxes might have a tiny (and I do mean tiny) edge over the software modelers, though many people won't hear it.

Since software modelers are a fraction of the cost of the hardware, you might give one a try first. They're all good at some amp models, and not great at others. So it's a matter of trying a few to see what you like best. Most have free trial downloads available, and if you've never used one before, you might like what you hear. I use several modelers for scratch tracks and to try out ideas, and find them pretty cool.

In terms of a computer interface, I use a Universal Audio Apollo; it's got excellent mic preamps, and the AD/DA conversion is quite good. However, it's on the expensive side. I also think that the Apogee stuff is very sweet; I like the sound of Apogee conversion. My choice was based on the ability to use the UA internal plugin processing.

Focusrite, Avid, MOTU, and others all make very nice interfaces at a variety of price points. I've used MOTU and Focusrite to do professional tracks as well. In terms of audio quality, all this stuff is a matter of hair-splitting. Everything out there these days is miles ahead of the most expensive gear that was available in the 90s that was used to make hit records.

In other words, you can't possibly screw this up.

I use a Mac with Logic.

Last edited by LSchefman; 06-21-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Another thing to consider w/the Eleven Rack - if you order it from Sweetwater, they have an exclusive expansion pack of presets by various artists that's included with it. Guys like Joe Satriani, Adrian Belew, Jim Root, Steve Stevens, Johnny Hiland and Brent Mason, among others. So you get that along w/ProTools. There's also a bundle w/the foot controller for another $300.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Another thing to consider w/the Eleven Rack - if you order it from Sweetwater, they have an exclusive expansion pack of presets by various artists that's included with it. Guys like Joe Satriani, Adrian Belew, Jim Root, Steve Stevens, Johnny Hiland and Brent Mason, among others. So you get that along w/ProTools. There's also a bundle w/the foot controller for another $300.
    There are websites chock full of presets for all of these various boxes, and also for the many software modelers out there.

All of the boxes and software sets will also respond to a variety of foot controller and MIDI controllers, some far less expensive than $300.

Nothing like recording a real amp, though, which can be done with a $99 SM57 and any interface with mic preamps. That's still the ideal way to go AFAIC.

And guess what???...Found some Eleven Racks with Expansion for $300...I am not sure if they come with PT but I love my Studio One, so I would not use PT anyway

I agree Les, but as you suggested, why not? until I get a nice tube amp

Les,

Hey I wanted to let you know that I was impressed to see what good work you do...Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Now, I can see that I can get deeper into my questions.....

The rack would be better when it comes to latency versus the software wouldn't it?